1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

League changes

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Posted this thread to discuss during this break in league proceedings - inspired by a decent similar thread about rule changes on the Wurzel board.

Not so much a rules of the game change but more in the league system. There should be an element of playoff introduced for relegation as well as promotion - it's very common in other European leagues and elsewhere in the world.

Just like the promotion playoff arrangement, it could be the bottom 2 automatically going down and the other 4 of the bottom 6 playoff - but this time to stay up. The two clubs winning the "semis" would retain their league status and the "final" would be sudden death to stay up. It would prove just as exciting and important to the supporters of each team involved.

With something to play for it would prolong the season interest for many bottom half clubs trying to stay out of that bottom 6 just as it does for the top half clubs aspiring to reach the promotion play offs. At the moment, all clubs are interested in is climbing out of that bottom 3 aka the Swans and the Wurzels this season.

I dont' see why they should be, but if the finals were too much for Wembly to cope with in May, then alternative venues could be arranged to host them.

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

It would certainly make the end of the season more interesting. I'm not sure the clubs outside the relegation zone would agree although the third from bottom would. The option of using other stadia outside of London could also be appealing.

As you rightly say Sparks it would help maintain interest for a longer period at the season end. Also, keep some footballers off the beach for a bit longer.

3. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

haven't they done this before?.......I mean when the play offs were first introduced I gotta a funny feeling that this has been done before and it worked well>>>>>>but the weird thing is, if your honest, is that the bottom half of the prem are not good enough for the prem and the top half of the championship are not good enough for prem level...........cannon fodder we iz

4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I had a dim and distant memory of that too Aber.

Can't argue with your second point either.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I think you're right aber, but only a limited period to reduce the top division numbers and not to the same extent as mirroring the current "top 6 playoffs" for the relegation spots.

I think the promotion playoffs for the lower division included the team that finished one place above the relegation spots in the division above.

6. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

cheers lads its nice 2know im not tripping 24/7

7. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

The Germans have automatic drop for the bottom two and similar promotion. Then 3rd from bottom plays 3rd in league below in two-leg sudden death. Eintracht Frankfurt survived last year in a nil-nil home and 1 nil away win. Added some spice but not as much as being proposed here. Not a bad idea really. While the league is over a year this system would create more interest/panic!!!!

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

In Scotland I think the 2nd bottom team in the Premiership play-off against the play-off winners

Maybe in our country we could have 2 up automatically plus the play-off winner.
    Then there could be a play-off between 3rd and 4th from bottom of the EPL - the loser goes down - the winner of that game plays off against the Championship play-off loser

The only down side is that it would extend the season by another week.

9. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Isn't that what happened in the first couple years of play offs here?

10. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Not for me Sparks, I don't agree with the play-offs if you end up 3rd after 46 games you should go up automatic.
    It's all done to make more and more money for Sky sports, and the poor fans are paying for it.

11. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Not for me either.

I am not a fan of the play offs at all.

Still rankles with me that a club finishing 6th can go up ahead of a team finishing 3rd, all because they do better in a mini knock out competition. If you finish 3rd then you should go up. If you finish 6th then you don't.

Same at the bottom. If you're in bottom 3 then taxi to League1.

Everyone knows the state of play in August; keep out of bottom 3 if you want to survive.

But scrape into 6th and you've a chance of sneaking up via the back door. It's not right.

I still recall with bitterness City finishing 3rd in 1971 and missing out whereas the next season they changed it to top 3 going up:emoticon-0121-angry

I don't go for this "nothing to play for" syndrome. There's plenty to play for! All players should give 100% in every game and entertain the fans and strive to win.

You can bet your bottom dollar NW won't allow his players to switch into beach mode for our last few games.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I only arsked fellas!.....................<laugh>

please log in to view this image

I wasn't imagining "players already on the beach" syndrome is a problem - it was more about extending the interest of supporters of those sides who reach the comfort zone early with nothing to play for at either end of each division.

The point about a team finishing 3rd from the top (or bottom) being the correct team to go up or down is very valid and I think all of us share that view. The point is to stop the season petering with half a dozen games or more to go for the supporters whose sides have nothing to play for with no real incentive or target.

If the rules are understood before a season starts then it's a level playing field for everyone. If you don't finish top or bottom 2, then you'll have to fight for your division place next season in a playoff for up and down.

Similar systems are in place in many leagues both in Europe and around the world for just that very reason. There's no reason why it wouldn't work for us and extend the season and entertainment for many supporters.