1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Charnley Arrested by HMRC

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by GeordieHalfbreed, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Marveaux has been arrested in France in connection with the tax avoidance!! HAHAHAAHA

2. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I think its looking more and more likely that this is about wrongdoing by players and agents. The raids on the clubs could be about getting all relevant information on their contracts as much as anything else. The wording of some of the reports seems to be subtly changing too. From the Mail...

"The role of agents is the main focus of the investigation, according to sources on both side of the Channel.................Other clubs being investigated include Marseille, where a number of transfer deals have been investigated. 'The belief is that organised criminal gangs based in Corsica and mainland France were working with senior officials at the club, agents and other parties,' said one of the sources. 'Marseille has done a lot of high profile business with both West Ham and Newcastle in recent years, and accordingly both British clubs are being brought into this enquiry.' Senior Marseille directors have been charged as part of the probe, which has seen some 800 bank accounts and 110 companies examined."

Consett Mag and J. J. McClure like this.
  3. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

So 21 pages and lunch in the nick for nothing.

Right - who's going to the first signing. My money's on Shawcross.

4. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

You're Charnley??? <yikes>

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  5. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

This will fade day by day. After the game on sky tomorrow I doubt it will rarely get mentioned anymore. The media will grasp hold of something else in next to no time.

6. Fork Handles

**** you've guessed!

7. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

You look old man!

8. Fork Handles

I am old!

9. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

But you're only 39 Mr Charnley!

10. Fork Handles

Maybe I am only 39 but I'm still too frail to stand trial.

11. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Unfortunately. That's the killer. Tax evasion by companies is a serious offence. From what is going on it appears that Marseille officials with links to the criminal underworld have taken part in hidden payments and incentives to players/ agents and third parties. Newcastle, West Ham and Chelsea have been implicated because of transfers with them. The jist of it is HMRC believe that the English clubs have been making these secret payments and not declaring tax and NI - a criminal offence. Charnley was arrested, questioned and released allied to the accounts and documentation being seized and examined by HMRC officers. At the moment, we appear to be fine because the HMRC were 'satisfied' that we have done everything above board and declared any payments and associated taxes. That is at the moment. Whether that changes in the future once the forensic accountants get their hands on the figures remains to be seen.

Ultimately, it's Olympique Marseille who are real culprits in this whole sorry mess. Club officials appear to have benefited from loyalty payments and tax advantages by their involvement in transfers and contact with agents and third parties. The real mess comes from their involvement with the criminal underworld [Corsican mafia] which raises questions over money laundering, tax avoidance, possible match fixing and far more sinister crimes.

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Marseille have previous for dodgy financial dealings too so this fits.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  13. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I think we would have serious cause to worry if the reported fraud was £50million and not £5million (still a lot of money) and if we were the only or main protagonist involved. Let's wait and see what develops, if anything.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  14. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

It will be a massive relief if, as it looks, we are in the clear and not guilty of any tax evasion. However, moving forward, I hope we can make sure we avoid any tax avoidance schemes too. It just doesn't sit right with me, especially when our city is being hit with such massive cuts.

15. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Sadly all the big corporations are at it.
    Amazon, Starbucks, MacDonalds... they all pay waaay less tax in the UK than they should. They just fiddle the system big time.
    Someone once told me that if big business paid their fair share... there could be tax CUTS for the average person... plus money left over to properly fund the NHS and pay the frontline nurses what they deserve.

Consett Mag and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  16. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

17. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

The bit which I homed in on....

On Wednesday night a statement from the French authorities said: 'On April 26, 2017, a number of arrests and searches were carried out in France in connection with the execution by the national financial prosecutor (PNF) of a request on July 29, 2016, for mutual assistance from the British judicial authorities.

'Ten searches were carried out all over France and four people were held in custody. Documents were also seized.

'The investigation is being conducted by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). It deals with cases of aggravated tax evasion and the laundering of aggravated tax fraud committed during several transfers of football players between French clubs and clubs playing in the Premier League. The UK authorities suspect hidden payments to certain players, their agents or third parties, allowing them to evade income taxes and social security contributions.

18. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

There's a few other avoidances Marveaux can be charged for.

Any kind of tackle.

The pitch at St James Park.

Effort.

19. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

you can throw passion and loyalty into the mix and tar pretty much every french import we've ever had in our team with that brush, messrs Ginola, Robert and Cabaye aside, although even one or two of those could be questioned at various points in their toon careers.

20. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I think Fat Mike would be disgusted that anyone would stoop so low as to even consider that any of his mega-rich businesses were involved in a paltry £5million HMRC scam. As if he would even dirty his hands so! That's loose change to Fat Mikey!