1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson Gives an Insight # 2

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 15, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Exclusive: Lee Johnson in talks with Steve Lansdown for next purchase - but it's not a player
    Head coach reveals talks over making addition to the club's training ground in a special interview with the Bristol Post

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson has revealed his discussions with majority share holder Steve Lansdown over an important new purchase.

However, it's not a new player - it's a new coaching aid that would make City one of the most innovative football clubs in the world.

Head coach Lee Johnson hopes to add a huge TV screen to the training ground. Talking recently about his coaching techniques, the former Barnsley and Oldham boss revealed to the Bristol Post that he's in talks to improve the training facilities.

"The next step, if Steve Lansdown ever wants to buy me a little present, I want to get a big portable TV screen so we’ll be able to work live [in regard to detailed player analysis during a training session].

"So literally from the drone [used for coaching] we should be able to work live."

Speaking specifically about how the club make use of a drone to make the most of squad training, Johnson explained:

"It's something I brought in. I think it's something we brought in at Barnsley, and it's good - it gives you your different coaching points and where you want to be on the pitch.

"It's something that's worked well for us and we'll continue to use that," explained the head coach, who went on to say that he hopes to replicate Julian Nagelsmann - the innovative Bundesliga coach in charge of German side Hoffenheim - in erecting a 'videowall' at the training ground that would improve training and enable live feedback.

Such innovative thinking on the training pitch has already been demonstrated via the use of flying drone (reported previously at the Bristol Post), the club's building of an app to enable players to learn effectively, and now a 'videowall'.

The revelations were made in a special interview that Lee Johnson gave to the Bristol Post, published from 19 July.

Lee Johnson also revealed how Bristol City won the race for Famara Diedhiou and how the club researches new recruits in an extensive discussion on training and recruitment at City.

Lee Johnson, left, and Luke Williams
    "A screen like the ones at Ashton Gate," elaborated Johnson on his hopes for a new TV for improved training.
    "Gone are the days when you can scream and shout at a player, it's very analytical these days. You need to get that buy-in. The modern player is very different from the old school ones," he explained.

"It's something that we've been looking at for a while. We're talking to Ashton Gate the company about potentially a joint purchase.
    "I think it would be very effective to be able to work live - that sort of video analysis is very unusual.

"If we could do it it would be a real tool for us," said Johnson, who also explained that he and his coaching team have designed a bespoke app for the iPad to enable key coaching messages to be passed on to the players to try and improve their games.

The 36-year-old Robins boss went on to explain that the use of the custom-built app enabled the players to revisit the tactical outline set out by the head coach and his staff for their next match, the club's upcoming schedule and enable each player to watch back previous training sessions.

The above excerpt is part of an exclusive interview Lee Johnson gave to the Bristol Post. See the full interview – the real Lee Johnson – from Wednesday 19 July.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-lee-johnson-talks-steve-202028

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Social media, Drones, a Club App to enable players to learn and Portable TV screens ( Videowall) on the training ground,' how the times are a changing', thank god I was around when Alan Dicks was in his prime..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    bcfcredandwhite and Red Robin like this.
  3. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

None of it seems to help much when it comes to picking his team though. Chopping and changing and calling players Bobby Moore one week then criticising them publicly the next. Lee is full of bull and this just sounds like more of it to me. Got very little faith in the bloke. It worries me that our chief scout has gone, Tinman apparently is no longer scouting youth players. Seems like Lee is doing more of the scouting and I don't trust his judgement on players either.

Red Robin likes this.
  4. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Don't see the problem with it, it's the sort of thing that every club will probably have in 5-10 years. Move with the times or get left in he past.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I think move with the times, learn from the past and combine the two is far more appropriate.

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think to a certain extent to some people Lee is damned whatever he says/thinks/does.

When he announces something like this new technology, some people will accuse him of ignoring the basics of football management and relying too much on whizzy new gadgets or gismos.
    When he says something sensible, some people will accuse him of talking the talk, but not putting it into practice
    When he says nothing at all some people will accuse him of shrinking into a corner and being afraid to face the fans

I personally will judge him when we are 10-15 games into the season, and re-judge him every 10-15 games thereafter.

manxrobin and RedorDead like this.
  7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

If you want to talk sensible, can you take it elsewhere please. ;)

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  8. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I don't get this? We had 40 odd games to judge him on last season and then more the season before!

I don't believe in him because of what I have already seen and on what he has or hasn't done!

I have seen nothing so far to believe anything will change and before you start going on about the end of season turnaround, this was largely due to change of formation, continuity in players and I believe was fan and / or player led and I believe his instinct will be to revert to his old ways at the start of this season. that whats his little book says the way the game should be played after all!!

wizered and robin_unreliant like this.
  9. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

And if Alan Dicks was involved in football now would he also use technology? Must be a yes.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

With that I can't disagree.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.

11. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

Wish there was a way to give this more than one like. Think that perfectly sums up my feelings about LJ.

12. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I think you find if you look at all his games in charge and average it out over a 46 game season we would a mid table championship team. So exactly where we should be

13. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Let's just hope we can kick it up a notch this season.

14. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Totally irrelevant to my point.. as usual.

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Once it was all six miles runs and sprints up hills/terraces (still relevant), but football evolves. The best team normally beats the best, technology barely changes that, but if a portable screen and a few cameras lead to marginal gains use them.

This technology is not all guff at St Georges Park there is a machine that demonstrates to players via reducing their weight (they are suspended by inflating air around their bodies in a form of vacuum) how they could move more economically if they were fitter/lighter .. Bit late for Tomlin(??).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

To be fair, and I'm not disagreeing with your opinion, but that point of view does restrict the idea that a manager can improve/get worse. Or work better with a certain type of team v another.

17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

That's more or less why I am back on the fence.
    I haven't got the mental energy to want him gone before a ball has been kicked this season.

I call for managers to be replaced when they are on a losing streak - and I did during our disastrous run, but once we started to recover what's the point?
    I never wanted the guy but he is here and I'm not going to start the season from day 1 calling for his head.
    I don't disrespect those loyal fans who have their negative opinions on him either though.

Red Robin likes this.
  18. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Given his special relationship with the owner I can't see him going anywhere soon. I was never really comfortable with his hiring, and have said so in no uncertain terms on several occasions, but here he is taking us in to a new season with all our expectations in place and hoping for the best, and if that means Lee becomes better at his job then so be it. However in the court of public opinion the jury's been out for some time and they may return with their verdict fairly soon after the start of the season if things don't go well. Let's hope that's not the case EH!

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  19. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Genuine question. If LJ gets us promoted via the play-offs for example, is all forgiven from those who criticise him? Or would it only be because he's been given £20m (or whatever it is) to spend?

I'm not trying to bait anyone. I don't really know where I stand on it to be honest.

20. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

As it stands Rob,more chance of relegation than promotion.
    We look a very poor side,even the less attractive sides are signing good players.
    Us we are going to struggle as it stands.