1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson Lifts the Lid.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 16, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson lifts lid on Lee Tomlin transfer and why he was sold to Cardiff City

Robins' head coach believes that the attacking midfielder was unable to find his best form because of his personal circumstances

Lee Johnson has spoken about the sale of former fans favourite Lee Tomlin during the week to Cardiff City.

Following a sparkling display from Bristol City against Yeovil Town on Saturday, which the Robins won 3-1, Johnson spoke to the media where he responded to questions about transfers, both incoming and outgoing.

In particular, he spoke about the decision to part with Tomlin for a fee reportedly just short of £3m if all clauses are met.

"You make a decision and at the end of the day Tommo had three years left on his deal so of course he was part of my plans," he said in response to a question on why he said that Tomlin was part of his plans earlier in the summer.

"If people read the articles properly and not just the headlines you'll see that it's really important that you adhere to the culture at the football club.

"And it's not that Tommo didn't - there's nothing wrong with him, he's a great lad, Tommo - but it wasn't ideal with his personal circumstances with living in Leicester and travelling three hours to work and three hours back every day and it's not conducive to him performing at his absolute best. We don't blame him for that.

"An offer came in, it was a decent offer, and it was money that allows us to go and reinvest in the squad where we need to and given the shape changes you make an evaluation of what's right and what's wrong and we sat down with Tommo and felt it was the right thing for him to move on."

Meanwhile Lee Johnson revealed that Jens Hegeler had picked up a small injury, ruling him out, of Saturday's game at Yeovil.

He also confirmed that he wanted to strengthen the squad in several positions, including goalkeeper.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-203424

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

God I must admit I get confused with all of this waffle, it seems to be a repeat of last year, if the player is crap and you want to get rid of him for the sake of the club, just say it, act and stuff a rag in your bloody big mouth, stop making excuses.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Name one manager who has done that when selling a player?

BCFCRob likes this.
  4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Why?..

5. Loathsneyd

I know you have your I hate LJ blinkers on but he is acting like any other manager, there's no story here

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

He is making a story and what a silly statement.
    "You make a decision and at the end of the day Tommo had three years left on his deal so of course he was part of my plans,"
    I love my club, I don't wear blinkers and I can only judge our el supremo on his ineptness of the position he landed us in with such sickly position last season, you don't know about my hate, blinkered or not for Junior because it does not exist, talk sense or put me on ignore, do me a favour.

7. Loathsneyd

So you honestly believe he should come out and say Tomlin was crap then?

8. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

You may not hate LJ Wiz, but from your many posts on the man, your making it hard for us posters to think otherwise.

9. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Cant see much difference between those with the LJ blinkers on and those with them off myself..

He has the chance to turn peoples opinion around.. an opportunity I wouldn't have given him!

Hey ho..

I may be right.. I may be wrong?

10. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

But to be fair, that wasn't exactly the point, it was whether LJ should have come out and said outright that Tomlin was crap. Yet those same people who criticise him would probably criticise his lack of professionalism if he had.

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If we all had the same opinions this world would be a boring place, I like to stimulate debate, cause comment and get this forum to join in, I always have, if people don't like what I say, god bless them, let's move on to the next subject.

About Jnr, I have not commented on his new season ideas, playing contributions, selections, playing styles, tactics in the current period because it's still pre season, in fact I have stated I won't criticise until 10 games have been played, the only things I have commented on are his own thoughts and insights to us via the press, I don't hate or wear LJ hate blinkers as stated but I do wonder what the luvies are on.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I don't think its about that Rob,

This conversation is a fact! (at Bristol Manor Farm)

Hi Lee (Tomlin), you're injured aren't you mate,

LT - "no!"

It says on the website you are?

LT "I'm not!"

Ah ok, Why aren't you playing then?

LT. "its him isn't it"

oh ok, will you be leaving?

LT "I don't know, but I do love the club and especially the fans, I have enjoyed it here"

Gone the following week.!

13. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

If true, then it's sad that their relationship deteriorated to such an extent. It always seemed as though LJ had nothing but praise for LT in the media and he continued to be given game time regularly (bar the end of the season, which coincided with one of our best runs of the season).

It’s always difficult to form strong opinions without all the facts. On the one hand, allowing things to get so bad with possibly your most naturally gifted players could be seen as bad man management, but on the other you could be seen as weak for not standing up to a player if they’re not behaving/performing as you’d like them too. It’s rare for fans to side with the manager when there’s ambiguity (only those with great support, a la Sir Alex Ferguson would likely be given the benefit of the doubt) so for LJ, he’s going to be criticised whatever he does. The only solution for him is to win games.

I’ve said elsewhere, I would predict that Tomlin will hit the ground running, like he’s often done at new clubs, but the acid test will be whether he maintains it over a prolonged period, as he’s in danger of being labelled a journey man. Again, I don’t want to judge without being well enough informed, but Tomlin didn’t exactly act professionally at Bournemouth and it’d be a brave soul to come out and say they think Eddie Howe’s a bad manager, so not succeeding under Warnock also could well make people ask questions.

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? Tomlin's personal situation meant that he couldn't leave Leicester for some reason. The commute was affecting him (as it would me too), so the club sold him. Nobody is saying Tomlin is 'crap' are they? just that his game was affected by a 6 hour daily commute - which would affect anybody - even an office worker.

I wish him all the best.

15. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Though that would be understandable, I don't see how moving to Cardiff would help. It's like Robbie Savage moving from Birmingham to Blackburn to be closer to Wrexham!

16. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed watching Lee Tomlin play.

I do have mixed feeling about him going, because although great to watch, it's difficult to fit him into a team. For me he can only play as a second striker or in a midfield 5.

Our game is based around pressing - that's simply not part of Tomlin's make-up.

So all in all - it's probably best that we moved him on.

17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It sounds to me that it suits all parties; City move a 'troubled but gifted' player on, with good wishes, no disrespect or bad feeling, getting nearly £3m in the process. Tomlin gets to move jobs with no period of unemployment or controversy - and Cardiff get a potential diamond - as long as Tomlins commute to Cardiff from Leicester doesn't affect him like the commute to Bristol apparently did.

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Tomlin was not bothered with the commuting, so moving from City to Cardiff ain't going to make much difference. He will possibly travel down M50 via Monmouth etc. With Cardiffs training ground in the Vale just off the motorway, so on paper not that much in it.
    It was us that didn't want him to travel and asked him to reconsider his living arrangements.

Anyway he will find that getting past Newport during rush hour is a ****ing nightmare so wouldn't be surprised if he then thinks **** it I will move :)

19. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

LEICS TO CARDIFF IS A SH***** JOURNEY THAN TO BRISTOL
    The worst PART for Bristol is either M32 toAG or Portbury AG
    TO CARDIFF ... M50/A40 THEN A48 VIA M4 FROM A449 SECTION OF m4 CAN BE C***
    SO NO DIFFERENCE UNLESS BEEN TOLD YOU ARE HERE FOR X DAYS BEFORE EACH MATCH AND AT HOME YOU TRAIN!