1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson Warns: 'Keep Up With Us'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 21, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Johnson: 'Keep up with us', Bristol City boss tells players
    please log in to view this image

Bristol City have won seven of their 14 games since Lee Johnson's appointment on 6 February

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson has warned his players they need to improve at the same "rapid pace" as the club.

Johnson's side are nine points clear of the Championship relegation zone with three matches remaining but slipped to 21st with Tuesday's
    3-2 loss to Derby.
    "You can't make two or three errors on the spin, eight or nine times per half," Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol.
    "We're moving forward at a rapid pace so you'd better make sure you keep up with us, to continue your career here."

City had led at the break against fifth-placed Derby but two goals in five second-half minutes won the game for the visitors.
    "I'm disappointed with the result and angry with the performance. It was very naive," he continued.
    "The lads worked their socks off but, against a good side, you don't get as much time on the ball as we were looking for.
    "It wasn't an attitude thing - it was a quality thing. We sort of ran out of ideas.
    "When they fall short of their own standards, it upsets me.
    "Because I love them so much, sometimes I don't know whether to give them a slap or a cuddle.
    "We tried to play - albeit not very well. We have to keep improving."

The Robins, who won promotion from League One last season, were 22nd with just 25 points before Johnson's
    appointment in February and have almost doubled their points tally since then.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36092159

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

That's two warnings to the players in a couple of days, I reckon he is clearing the decks ready for an early start in the transfer market.

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think maybe he's giving players every opportunity to prove that they deserve to still be around next season, as well as give them the motivation to work hard for the last 3 games.

The squad is a little on the small side (especially if you take out loan signings), so I expect a handful of signings this summer, but that doesn't mean that there'll be room for passengers. It seems as though we learned our lesson of the dangers of having a bloated squad.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  4. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Like what im hearing from LJ. He knows who needs replacing and who needs shipping out. Freeman is a perfect example, he's not a player we should get rid of but someone we should replace. If we have the likes of Fielding, Ayling, Pack & Freeman all on the bench next season then it means we've improved and we actually have game changers to come on. It will be a very interesting summer and I can see us signing quite a few with maybe 2 or 3 big money signings. No doubt our team for the last game of this season will look a hell of a lot different to the one that starts the 2016/17 campaign.

5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Agreed - 'evolution, not revolution' required methinks.

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Tuesday we required a whole team,pathetic comes to mind,regards that second half:emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0130-devil

7. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

When does the supporters transfer window open? There are a couple I wouldn't mind shipping out!!

8. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I do agree with him, but lets not naff them off before they get that precious point first

Red Robin likes this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Tweets Latest..

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets 5h5 hours ago
    LJ: "Frank Fielding has undergone an operation on his ankle ligament. His recovery time is 3-4 months. We wish him well."
    LJ: "Everyone else is ok fitness-wise. Obviously there will be a few aches and strains but they'll be fine."
    LJ: "The boys have been fantastic bouncing back so far this season and they will go again on Saturday."
    LJ: "I want to see them believe in themselves for 90 minutes."
    LJ: "Blackburn have good players. They've been in the bottom half for the majority of the season; which shows it's a tough division."
    LJ: "I was upset on Tuesday. I hate losing...I hate failing. We wanted to do it at Ashton Gate for the fans."
    LJ: "We keep going. I don't want to put anxiety into the players. We have to dig in and try to perform our best."

10. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Not sure how serious you're being - I'm guessing this is tongue in cheek, albeit loosely.

Though additions are needed (as are one or two departures), there's no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Under LJ, this group of players have won 20 points from 13 games and 27 from 17 since SC left - that kind of form would have good enough to mount a playoff challenge if over the entire season (I know it's a bit of an 'if my auntie had balls...' kind of thing. :emoticon-0100-smile)

manxrobin likes this.

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Getting ready for your first "Johnson out" thread?

How's SoD doing these days? <whistle>

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'Under LJ this group of players' have carried on with Pemberton's changes.
    LJ has no relevant experience, presence or stature, is a yes man and young men will soon have his measure.
    Unless SL pushes the boat out big time I fear it will only be a matter of time next season when turmoil will engulf Ashton Gate.

:police:Banksy - I have a different opinion from others, I reckon you should get me banned.

13. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Nahh, its alright, no ones been listening to you for years, every village needs one idiot. (and you're our one) and at least you don't pretend to be a woman on here.. (what you do at home is up to you of course!)

RedorDead, Tom_BCFC and Supcon72 like this.
  14. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

No.just a massive hatred for the Johnsons.............You can't wait for the day he fails....and he will, like 90% of all managers.........Your theory in my opinion, if we went down, it would have been all down to LJ's experience, presence and stature, the fact that we stay up is down to Pembertons changes! As I said before, it's boring and tedious and we've heard it all before....I thought you better than that, could be at least a bit constructive and back the man in charge that saved us from going down!

manxrobin and banksyisourhero like this.
  15. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Redprintt when LJ was announced as manager.. images.jpeg

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  16. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

It was always going to be Redprintts worst nightmare!! For that reason alone, when it was announced I must admit, I had a little chuckle!!!

17. RedorDead

He's one of our own
    He's one of our own
    Grumpy ole Redprint
    He's one of our own

image.jpg

banksyisourhero likes this.
  18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

That's the point, he's one of us, long may it be as far as I'm concerned and that includes Junior..<ok>

19. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

This group of players have had ample opportunity to prove if they are worthy of being retained.
    I hope LJ knows who we should be looking to move on as necessary.

20. RedorDead

yes he is, and he makes this forum fun.