1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread / The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Mar 15, 2017.

?

Scoreline: Leeds Utd v Brighton

Poll closed Mar 18, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

33.3%
  3. 2-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leeds by 1

22.2%
  6. Brighton by 1

11.1%
  7. Leeds by 2

33.3%
  8. Brighton by 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

11.1%
  10. Brighton by 3 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

please log in to view this image

Leeds Utd v Brighton and Hove Albion
    Saturday 18th March [email protected]
    Streaming links to follow
    Good Morning Everyone,

Leeds have managed just 3 wins in the last 8 games, as they look to cement a play off spot.

It's not an ideal time to play undoubtedly one of the strongest teams in the division, but in saying that Brighton have recently lost games against Newcastle, and more recently got thrashed at the City Ground 3-0.

Small consolations but the chasing pack are also dropping points.

Let's have a look at the league table.

Fulham have played their game in hand (on Monday night), drawing at home against Blackburn.

Isn't is strange, the contrast between two relatively similar clubs, and the amount of support they get!!!

Leeds next game is away at Reading followed by an away trip to Brentford, this is followed by a tricky home game to Preston.

I wonder whether Grayson will give us a wave?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    seabreeze, Farsleyexile and ristac like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

If we manage a point it would be good. Was thinking about Cellino and his discount on tickets for next year should we fail to make the top 6, how extra important is it now.... With some foundations in place the last thing we would want if we are still in this division would be a financial hit at the start.

I wonder if fans would take the discount or not if the promise was to invest?

Hope you slept well Matt, guessing you did as you're not late this morning ;) <ok>

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Will fill the blanks later, called into meeting... MOT

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Interesting every time one of the team from fourth to seventh have a chance for a big win and cement their playoff place, they invariably drop points. Fulham are the latest and conceding a last minute equalise last night will have been a bitter blow. Clearly nerves are playing a big part now in performances as they are with our lads I believe. With Wednesday and Reading playing Friday, by the time we play Saturday, a win would likely see us all but over the line but of course, the players will be all too aware of that in front of another packed house. Hopefully will take our chance this time

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all, I'm back but fkg sore. Had the operation this time last week and get results in a week or so. Going to be out of action for weeks yet as I try and get fit, cant even drive for a month ffs. Anyway long story but good to be back and thanks for the kind messages.

I dont see a comparison between the Grayson side that was let down by Bates, as that team imploded from Christmas and struggled to get any points which left them in 7th place. This team are struggling but still picking up points and I think top 6 is a certainty. Hudds are surprising me still, is this Wagners influence or do they have better players than us? Reading, Fulham, Wendies all battling/dropping points leaving us 5 points in the green. Too much for us to get auto now but a win against Brighton would be our best result of the season as we have not won against top teams yet.

Still relying on Wood which is a huge worry because if he gets injured on International duty ..... Our new signings not worked yet and we still dont know our best midfield. we are however solid, but suspensions hurt

Irishshako, DirtyLeeds and ellandback like this.
  6. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Good to have you back Doc <ok>

Morning all

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hope you're on the road to recovery Doc

If I wasn't a Leeds supporter looking at the table, let's say a Fulham or Wendies fan, I would not even think about Leeds and Huddersfield not making top 6 I would see it as a three (possibly 4 with Preston) horse race for the final two positions.

As a Leeds supporter I just dare not accept we are there yet.

Fulham are the team I don't want to see in the mix, a playoff against Huddersfield and Fulham doesn't inspire me with confidence at the moment. As it stands I take it we would be against Reading over two legs?

If so that would be perfect, local Sheffield v Huddersfield derby (twice), very draining and food for thought.

seabreeze and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cheers Bucks always good to hear from you before opening time <laugh>

Playoffs are a nightmare and whoever we get will be tough, plus a game of luck. Will Monk gamble with suspension candidates before the end of the season. What I mean is he may as well get them on the pitch now and get them booked and suspended before play offs, or is that a gamble too far?

Be interesting to see a stat showing how much player investment has gone into the top 6 teams. I would guess that Leeds have spent the least which means we have the best manager in my opinion.

Why isnt Monk on a new deal as I thought Rads first priority was doing so? Is Monk pissed off that he didnt get the striker he wanted and in which case will we see him leave for a prem club?

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, yes thanks, tho probable the zopiclone (or whatever it's called) that put me to sleep.

If we make the play off's, even if we lose, lets hope that this seasons displays will encourage the hoards to come back to ER

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just an opinion... I think it is Monk stalling on the contract. Rads gone very quiet after his hogging the camera at every opportunity... It won't matter if we fail at the final hurdle or get promoted there wil be a long list of vacancies for Monk to pick from including staying with us.

There are going to be some good teams left in this division and some good ones dropping down into it. I also can't help but wonder if Swansea go down, would they want Monk back, would he want to go back?

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, Preston are making a last ditch effort to gain promotion, but have left it too late I reckon

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Glad you're back pal. Hope for a speedy recovery matey <ok>

Doc likes this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Bucks

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Wood needs to avoid injury on International duty AND what about jet lag?

15. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Evening all. Even with 30k fans cheering us on, I can't see us winning this one, although if we get a draw I'd be content.

In the Blackburn game, doesn't the Peacock serve more on a wet Sunday than Blackburn had watching them? Rubbish fans.

ellandback and Farsleyexile like this.
  16. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

I was wondering what people's opinions were on the sideways pass. Is it a negative tactic or something positive because you retain possession? And, if you have players like Ray "the crab" Wilkins these days would you need to change your formation to accommodate it?

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Coral punter loses Rangers relegation bet court battle

The firm refused to pay out £250,000 in winnings because club 'were not relegated'.

A former bookmaker who sued Coral for refusing to pay out £250,000 after he placed a bet that Rangers would be relegated has lost his legal fight.

Albert Kinloch, 72, placed £100 on the Ibrox club being relegated from the SPL in 2011 and was given odds of 2500/1 by Coral.

The club went into administration in February 2012 and later into liquidation that year and returned to playing in the bottom tier of the Scottish senior leagues in the SFL Third Division.

Mr Kinloch, from Simshill, Glasgow, took Coral to the Court of Session in Edinburgh after it refused to pay out on the bet he placed on September 5, 2011, at its branch on Tollcross Road in Glasgow.

His betting slip read: "From SPL - Rangers to be relegated" and he maintained that relegation meant an SPL side started the next season in a lower league.

Coral contended that relegation was confined to going down only one division on points, according to league rules.

It said Rangers Football Club Plc sold its one share in the SPL to Sevco Scotland following the sale of assets by administrators, which required the approval of at least eight members of the SPL and the application was refused, making it no longer eligible to play in the top tier.

It then applied to join the SFL and was permitted to come into the lowest league.

Lord Bannatyne said: "The foregoing process cannot be described as being moved by anyone to a lower division, or being moved down or demoted.

"I am satisfied that what did not happen was that the SPL moved or demoted Rangers to a lower division.

"Rangers ended up in a lower division by the entry into a contract which allowed them to join the SFL in the Third Division."

He continued: "I am persuaded that the reasonable man is not only directed but driven to the rules of a particular sport when placing a bet in a sporting context.

"The natural and ordinary meaning of a sporting term is the definition of that term within the rules of that sport."

'I am satisfied that what did not happen was that the SPL moved or demoted Rangers to a lower division.'
    Lord Bannatyne
    Lord Bannatyne added: "It would be impossible for a betting business to be run and for it to offer bets on sporting events without reference to the rules of the sports.

"I am satisfied that the odds of 2500/1 to a reasonable person placing a bet as well as the reasonable bookmaker would clearly indicate that relegation meant what is contended for by the defenders (Coral) that is, the highly unlikely event."

The judge said he was persuaded the sound construction of the bet placed was that advanced by the betting firm.

He added: "Accordingly, on this construction of the pursuer's bet it is a losing bet."

Mr Kinloch told the court he had been following media reports over Rangers' financial troubles before placing the wager.

He said in a statement: "I thought it was a good 'throwaway bet' and I didn't expect to win but there was a small possibility that I would win.

"Nobody at Coral suggested to me they would only pay out if Rangers went down on sporting prowess or on points, and in fact they didn't try to negotiate with me at all on the bet".

Mr Kinloch's position was he had placed the bet as "a punter" but told the court he had been a bookmaker's clerk and bookmaker.

He accepted that in the past he has been asked not to lay bets in certain betting shops. He said the average guy in a betting shop was "a complete mug" but described himself as "not a mug punter".

He also accepted during the earlier hearing that he knew the SPL and SFL had rules and that he was very good at looking things up on the internet.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening Everyone

19. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Evening Elland. How are you feeling

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator