1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds Utd v Cardiff City / Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 9, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Leeds Utd v Cardiff City

Poll closed Feb 11, 2017.
  1. 0-0

5.6%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2

5.6%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leeds by 1

16.7%
  6. Cardiff by 1

11.1%
  7. Leeds by 2

33.3%
  8. Cardiff by 2

11.1%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

22.2%
  10. Cardiff by 3 or more

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Leeds Utd v Cardiff City

Saturday 11th February [email protected]

Streaming links to follow
    Good Morning Everyone,

The Bluebirds are the visitors to Elland Road this weekend to face Cardiff City, Neil Warnock and Sol Bamba.

Should be an entertaining one.

If last weeks performance at Huddersfield was anything to go by, we can put our defence to one side, as, in the absence of Taylor, it picks itself.

Let's concentrate on the midfield.

We just were unable to keep hold of the ball last Sunday. Sure, we'd chase hard, and win it back again, only to lose it yet again. The dog botherer's just seemed to have better space awareness.

I was a little surprised that this was not put right in the second half!

Should Hernandez start on Saturday?

What about the two new wingers?

Should Doukara start?

What about dropping Viera?

Who's confident about 3 points?

Latest odds show Leeds are the favourites for the win at 21/20

23/10 for the draw

13/5 for a Cardiff win

Hope we hear from some Cardiff fans as to their expectations for Saturday / season so far / Bamba / Warnock

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Gordon is 60 today!!!

Irishshako likes this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

According to Phil Hay, Grimsby chairman says Leeds tracked Bogle and had chance to pip Wigan but chose not to.

Thoughts?

5. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. We're at home on Saturday & backed by nearly 30k. As such, we should put in a better performance than last week. I think Hernandez will start & give us the creativity. I also think Dallas & Doukarar will also start; Dallas because he's good at defending as well as attacking, & Doukara because he's the size of a Beeston sh$t house, & will soften up defenders for the 2nd half. Leeds to win by 2

ellandback likes this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

Doukara won't start, Pedrazza will, depending if Roofe is fit or not it will be him or Dallas and Hernandez middle.

Barrow will be introduced at some stage, either for Dallas or if Roofe starts Hernandez as Roofe can slot over.

Roofe doesn't set the world alight but he is good in that he can cover any of the front 4 positions

7. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all.

I can see O Kane starting in place of Vieira this week.

I also thinking Doukara will start and be replaced by Padrazzi early in the second half.

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Duke is finished & hopefully on the bench with Roofe taking his place & Big Al starting with Viera, Bridcutt, OKane & Hernandez. Barrow to get a run off the bench before Sako (What happened with him)

From what I heard about Bogle he wanted big money and guaranteed start. Unknown wanabe, we'll see if he can keep his starting place at Wigan.

9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Fairly confident well put a few wins together looking at upcoming fixtures. Agree with Doc on Duke, he doesnt look good enough for our current squad, let alone the starting eleven.

10. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

Looking at the scoring record of both teams I can see a 0-0 draw,by the way thanks for Bamba.

ellandback likes this.

11. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Since his arrival, I have wondered how a Jannsson/Bamba CB partnership would have faired. But I'll settle for the Jansson/Bartley partnership.

12. Eireleeds1

Whys that. Weve 42 goals from 30 games, 6th best in division. What makes you think we wont score Saturday? As for Bamba, believe me, youre more than welcome to him. Hes lower Championship or League one standard at best and in no way, good enough for our current defence. He would never have gotten another game for us. Glad hes found somewhere to continue his career though

13. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Part of the ball giving away on Sunday is how udders press, the ball receiver is under pressure, and needs outlets. I think when you have a philosophy to move the ball forward quickly, it's hard to do when pressed. When the guy you need to pass it too is charging forward or hugging the touch line and you have them hunting the ball in packs, there often isn't a simple outlet except backwards...and these guys are encouraged to play.

We came out of the blocks fast on Sunday to disrupt them, it was high octane stuff... I suspect fatigue (normally not an issue for us) played its part in the second half mistakes too.

I'm not sure Hernandez is the right player for local derby away games.

Totally different dynamic at home v Cardiff. He'll pick a side with attacking intent and go for them.

hemase likes this.
  14. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

A review of our prediction league shows we are not very confident about Saturday. Incidentally William who commented above is top of the league so maybe knows something the rest of us don't.

Our defence is sound enough, with Bamba and Morrison as a strong centre back pairing. Bamba is clearly a Warnock type of player - their little falling out at Ipswich apart. <yikes> Vocally and physically he has greatly improved our defence. This was radically needed after the Trollope disaster. Colin has discouraged Bamba from trying to pass or run the ball out. If in doubt belt it, to our team or row Z, it doesn't matter, just get rid. Maybe that has uncluttered Bamba's mind so ensures no confusion? He has dropped the odd goolie as many of you suggested he would but very rarely and hardly ever costly. Without him most of us think we would be propping up the division.

Our 2 main full backs have been injured although may come into the frame for Saturday. Defensive midfield is fine with Ralls and Gunnarsson (you might remember him?,Captain of Iceland in the Euros. <whistle>). Whittingham (thought Forest signed him years ago - FACT) is still our main playmaker but having never been fast he now has the acceleration of a Nissan Note!!!!

It is upfront where we have a problem with goals very hard to come by this season. Many Bluebirds got excited about the signing of a former England international with a very good strike rate - I wasn't so sure as Lambert had not played much in the last year or so due to injury. He too has been injured for a few weeks and has not had a great relationship with the back of the net when he has played. I wouldn't say he has a lack of effort, more a lack of legs and pace - the latter never having been his greatest asset. We have some wingers who are good at getting past people but poor at knocking in crosses - either they get easily cut out or we have nobody in the right place to take advantage.

We have a new, big, fast centre forward, Zohore, who can be a handful and scored a brilliant goal v Preston last week. However he only has 2 for the season so far so hardly prolific. Him apart our other main striker (when Lambert unfit, so often then) is Pilkington, a converted winger. He has been unfit as well but might be available Saturday. Clearly a very skillful player but easily knocked off the ball if playing as main striker.

I think that all explains our lack of confidence. We don't concede many but often score less. I see a 2 - 1 or 1 - 0 to Leeds but would be pleasantly surprised if William's prediction is correct.

P.S. Despite him being a Jack B**t**d (Swansea player/manager) I have always liked Monk and had a good chat with him once. I'm pleased to see him succeeding if only to pi$$ off the other JB's.

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Bamba starts, I can't wait for him to do one of his over excited runs forward before being dispossessed or doing his routine wayward passes to one of our front 4

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm NEVER confident when we play Cardiff but I am this time around. After a defeat we usually come out all guns blazing and we might have signed a real gem in Pedrazza who is set to replace Doukara.

If Hernandez starts and Cardiff give away too many corners we will score from one, Bartley, Pontus and Wood are a right handful at set pieces.

In the league, 9th December against an in form Brighton was the last time we failed to score. I personally think Cardiff will need to score a goal to earn a point, I'm pretty sure we have at least one goal in us, predicting two.

Thanks for the indepth assessment of your team, it made interesting reading <ok>

hemase and BluefromBridgend like this.
  17. milkyboy

Yep good to have grown up contributions from the oppo.

Cardiff definitely not the soft touch they were at the start of the season, no easy games in the championship and I expect them to be tough to break down. Clearly it's a game we need to win to get back on track, hopefully we can show a bit of form but I'd take a scrappy 1-0 happily.... Preferably with a clearly offside goal in injury time to really get Colin's goat.

hemase and BluefromBridgend like this.
  18. Eireleeds1

He will be ****tin himself having Woods all over him for 90minutes. Im not normally confident about Cardiff games but am this time

Farsleyexile and ristac like this.
  19. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

hello all .. the Huddersfield loss was down to Leeds making a truck load of wayward passes .. thing is, Town were very open on the flanks, but we couldn't find a pass .. when we did, we looked dangerous, a la Pedraza's run into acres of space and shot on target .. Hernandez set the tone with his first four touches, all with time, yet on each occasion he misplaced a simple pass

I would expect Pedraza to start with Dallas as our wide players, and O'Kane in for Vieira .. we should be able to overcome Cardiff, but they will be fully up for this game, and Colin will get them going ... however, if we score first their fragility may well make it a comfortable afternoon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farsleyexile likes this.
  20. milkyboy

That's the thing with teams that are set-up to press, there are gaps if you can get the ball away quickly... we couldn't... because sadly it isn't as easy as it looks from the stands!