1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee's done a fine job (stage 1)

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by oneforthebristolcity, Apr 23, 2016.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Well, not many of us would have had LJ down to be our successor to Cotts including myself, not because he's young or inexperienced at this level, just the fact that the amount of criticism expressed by some because who his father is, which to some feel was the only reason LJ ever wore the City shirt.
    In my opinion, although small in stature he did have a good footballing brain, he also (in my opinion) gave 100% to the team.
    As manager, he's come in with no fears and got on with the job of keeping us up. He's done that with games to spare and current form pretty good.
    Stage one is complete and we can all look forward to next season again in the championship.
    Given a bit of money to spend in the summer, I'm quite looking forward to next season...Well done LJ..

manxrobin, Red Robin and RedorDead like this.
  2. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Well said onefor, i for one wish LJ the very best of luck next season.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

He certainly wasn't my choice either, but he has been saying the right things and has helped ensure our survival.

As I said elsewhere, if he has money to spend then expectations will also grow. I really hope the club have learned their lesson after last Summers shambles.

Hopefully LJ already has wheels in motion for acquiring players who can take us forwards next season.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Thanks to Lee for his contribution, thanks to Pembo for his efforts and from me thanks to Steve Cotterill for our promotion also the players he put into place that helped keep us up.

Up the City..

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yep I 2nd that Wiz, must admit it's been touch and go all season especially after such a bad start.....now quite happy this season is over and we are safe to go again next season....fingers crossed, money is spent wisely with the right players in to compete..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I hope Cotts has learned a lesson from all of this, We have many reasons to thank him, but on the other hand he was very stubborn..

wizered, Supcon72 and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  7. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Main objective to stay up

Next objective to build a competitive top half championship squad

After that (possibly a few years down the line) aim to get promotion to premier league

8. Premiershiporbust IV

Premiershiporbust IV Active Member

Not my choice either but so far, doing a very good job. I said in January that I considered that the loan signings that we made would be good enough to maintain our championship status so for me, the real work for LJ starts now.

For the record, I also said that as long as we play attractive and attacking football, LJ will be accepted but at the first hint of any sustained period of sideways and backwards stuff, the clouds will begin to gather....

Let's hope it stays sunny over AG and that LJ and MA work some recruitment magic over the break....

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Good job so far and I'm pleased - I was another who thought maybe his appointment was mistimed, as the boo-boys would be on his back from the off, but to their credit, the fans have embraced him and he's got the job done nicely.

Next season is the big test for him - monumentally important summer in terms of building on what we have, and if he can turn City into a mid-table side with vague ambitions of reaching the playoffs, then his stock will rise rapidly.

10. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Smith, Fielding and now Matthews and Flint's seasons over- Good opportunity to let some of the U21's have a go.

Mind the gap! likes this.

11. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

We are barely out of the stable
    Yes he has done well so far, but the main race has yet to run.
    Personally I will judge him at the end of next season (provided it hasn't all gone tits-up).

Much for LJ depends on how hard and how successfully he works this summer. The only shift a manager has put in during the summer months for a long time was Cotts 2 summers ago when he brought in Ayling, Freeman & co. The rest (including Cotts last summer) have all spent their time on a beach. Indeed, Coppell enjoyed his vacation so much he never came back !

12. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

If its all gone tits up I'm pretty sure you will already have judged him by then?