1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leicester Away

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Jan 6, 2017.

1. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Great result,nicely back on course.
    COYB'S

2. chelsea - over 100 years of history

What a great weekend in the end. With the Spurs defeat and all the Costa bullshit, this had banana skin written all over it. Thankfully the boys did us proud and Alonso embarrassed some with his MOM performance ;)

Sunday games also went in our favour and we have a very nice gap to the Mancs now.

3. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hope Alonso embarrassed you with his almost MOM performance for Hull <laugh>

4. chelsea - over 100 years of history

So Alonso is your new 'project' now Mikel has gone then?

Try supporting your team more.

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

FFS bod when did you change your avatar. I know i've said i'm not a massive fan but that avatar pic is next level. What does your missus think about your obsession :p

6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

haha, she doesn't pay attention to that kinda ****.

Besides, if she saw it, she would just think she was looking in a mirror.......

I wish <laugh>

7. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Mate my new project is 'fix our weakest link'.

Mikel hasn't kicked a ball for us after my 'project' from last year.

Am I wrong with that??

And, where do you find me not supporting the team?

8. chelsea - over 100 years of history

For someone who quite openly said at the start of the season that top 4 was our target, you seem pretty quick to jump on the manager and/or a number of our players despite being 8 points clear!

Supporting your team does not mean having a meltdown every time someone makes a mistake or we don't win a game 3-0.

Alonso has had a very good season. He is by no means a weak link and will only get better with more P.L experience and experience in this formation.

In short, enjoy this while it lasts as this is a competitive league now. Probably most competitive P.L ever and we won't always be top of the tree. <ok>

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

To be fair, whilst i'm not a fan of Stans jump on our players approach, i think it is abundantly clear in terms of the technicals such as attacking prowess (alonso), 1 on 1 defending (alonso and Cahill) pace (alonso and cahill) and passing under pressure (cahill) that our left side is weaker.

However, what we don't see is the other things they bring (alonsos energy creating space and supporting both attack and defence, cahills leadership) so i appreciate their roles in the team. I do think we could replace them with better but i have no problems with the team at the moment

StanDMan likes this.
  10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Exactly, that's what Arsenal fans do!

It seems like Stan wants perfection from Chelsea, and am sorry to say thats not going to happen, at least not in Conte's first season.

Just be grateful that, in the most competitive top 6 in PL history, we are top of the pile, 8 points clear.
    Costa and Hazard miss sitters all the time, yet people aren't all up in their grills every time.

StanDMan likes this.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well yeah, we can always improve.
    But it just seems wackadoo to arbitrarily pick on one player, who is having a storming season, because he has made a couple of mistakes.
    Like i said, Hazard and Costa make mistakes all the time, and fluff chances they should have buried.
    But because they are not defenders, their mistakes are less likely to ship us goals.
    But Costa especially, should have buried at least 2 other chances against Hull, and on another day, probably would have.

BobbyD likes this.
  12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I'm all for striving to be better and better but we need to make small steps. We've gone from mid table last year to title favourites this year. We need to get over the line this year and then the squad needs to be pushed next year to be competitive in the C.L again. Something we haven't been since we won it 5 years ago, baring that one semi final season under Jose.

I also don't like individual players getting singled out and picked on; especially when it is unfounded.

13. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think the first team as it stands is up there with the other good teams in the league but I don't think they are necessarily good enough for C.L. Alonso may get better, Cahill has probably peaked and is the one that probably looks better in a back 2 than a back 3. I think we'll bring in 1 or 2 new defenders in the summer and we should have a very close look at Christensen as well. He may be ready now.

14. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

boys agree with most of you.
    do you rate Alonso better than Moses on both ends?

we can do better.

15. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Who though?

Who is available, affordable, has the experience of this system etc? Even then, they may not fit in straight away, may lack P.L experience etc.

Neither Alonso nor Moses covered themselves in glory v Spurs for instance but have fared pretty well the rest of the season. They are both learning the role and in Alonso's case, the league as well. Generally the defence is better than the sum of its parts - like Leicester last year.

16. chelsea - over 100 years of history

17. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

think either Kenedy, Ake or Aina can do better than Alonso.
    This is proven by Moses who is not even a defender.
    Or we can bring in Zouma for Cahill. Perhaps that will solidify Alonso's position better?

18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Why, what gives you this impression?
    Seen nothing from any of those players to suggest they could slot themselves into this team and system and do aswell as Alonso, right NOW.

Moses doing well on the other wing proves nothing, other than Moses is good in that role.

Bringing in Zouma for Cahill is something I am all for (eventually), he is Cahill's natural replacement and I am not a huge Cahill fan.
    But really, at the moment, we are top of the league, 8 points clear with the best defensive record. Right now is NOT the time to start ****ing around with the starting XI.
    Like I said, if it ain't broke, dont try to fix it.

19. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I'm curious to ask why you think these players would do a better job when the guy who watches them in training every week clearly doesn't?

How many times have you even seen Aina play? I saw him first hand in the league cup v Bristol and he showed promise but looked nowhere near ready. Kenedy looked suspect defensively himself when tried at full back last year.

Not saying they definitely couldn't come in, but I fail to see how you can justify the change now, based on a few sub appearances, pre season games or Ake's spell at Bournemouth in a different system.

And like Bo said, Moses is the exception not the rule and I think Alonso has been equally as good as Moses this year.

Bodinki likes this.
  20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I think Zouma and Ake will eventually become first team regulars, or at least they should be, you never know with this club.

Kenedy and Aina.....not too sure on them to be honest, I think they will be in for the usual fate our youngsters receive, perennial loan spells at lower/midtable clubs followed by, in 2-3 years being sold to one of them, home or abroad, for around £5-10m.