1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let the NH begin.....my five to follow....please add your own!

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Sep 15, 2013.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Bobs Worth <ok>

2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

I hope that Invictus returns to full health.
    First Lieutenant at 3 miles or longer.
    Lord Windermere?

3. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Apparently so Oddy... That would be a good sight as i never got chance to go when the likes of Kauto, Denman and Long Run all showed up... Criminal really as i only live about 20 miles away... Bloomin work...<grr>

But not this year, ive got the whole weekend booked off and im also thinking about going on the friday as well...<ok>

4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Good thread this and some interesting write ups. 5 from me:
    Countrywide Flame - brilliant run in the Champion Hurdle behind The Fly and ROR on really sticky ground. His trainer says he needs good ground though I'm not sure about that. However he's only a baby and I'm sure he'll improve again this season.
    Flemenstar - I do like this horse a lot. Watching him gallop and jump is thing of beauty and quickens the ol heartbeat. Sadly it it all became a bit of a circus last season. Will be really interesting to see what Tony Martin can do with him. I'm still far from convinced that he doesn't stay 3 miles as the jockey tactics were pants IMHO when he went up in trip last year.
    Lyreen Legend - formerly a very decent hurdler and last years RSA runner up. Will be interesting to see if this one goes up in trip or contests the top 3 mile races.
    L'Unique - was very impressed with his victory at Aintree. He missed Cheltenham so would have been fresher than the others but he won well. Alan King has reported that he has strengthened up over the summer so I'm looking forward to a successful campaign.
    Recession Proof - John Quinn's hurdler had been off the track injured for 30 months. He won the Totesport Trophy in 2011 and his final run of that season was a very creditable 5th in the Supreme Novices. The 4 in front of him were Cue Card, Sprinter Sacre, Spirit Son and Al Ferof - 4 half decent horses! Still only 7 he recently returned to action on the flat and has a Cesarewitch entry, though I doubt he'll get in. Will be interesting to see if he stays at 2 miles or goes up in trip when he goes hurdling again.

5. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Good thread, look forward to many winners coming from all your picks over the season and interesting to follow their progression;

Here are mine in no Particular order:

1.Sizing Tennessee
    Can't wait to see this lad up in trip, look's an out and out stayer. Mullins will go Hurdling this season with him and I expect he will flourish. A lot is thought of this fella and we can expect a big season from him. Don't be surprised if he doesn't set the world on fire on his first few start's, he may prove a slow burner with Cheltenham being the main goal but once he get's his trip you will be hearing plenty of this one.

2.Our Conor
    A revelation last season and I guess will be on most people's 'one to follow' list, snapped up by Barry Connell after his Cheltenham demolition job and the horse just look's a machine. He will be starting off with a flat run in the Irish Cesarewitch on Oct 13 in the Curragh before heading for the Morgiana at Punchestown in November. Hopefully he can stay fit and healthy and make Cheltenham for what could turn out to be a Titanic battle in the Champion Hurdle in March.

3.Padge
    Has not raced under rules yet but saw his point to point run and he beat a Punchestown festival winner in the shape of Very Wood comfortably enough and was subsequently bought up (name of trainer eludes me now) , a bit from left field but I'm sure he will be winning a bumper soon and then go novice hurdling. Potentially an interesting unknown to follow for the season.

4.Flemenstar
    Recently switched yard to Tony Martin and I look forward to seeing what route they go with for him this year, Peter Casey was leaning towards the same route as last season and I still think he can get 3m, I just hope he is 100% fit and can do himself justice..his jumping is as good as I have ever seen. Keen to see what Jockey will be on board also, I know the owners were keen on Andrew Lynch but I wonder will Tony persuade them to let Ruby have a sit if possible? All in all, a horse I am fond off and want to see doing well.

5.Clondaw Kaempfer
    Hope to see this son of Oscar back fit this season, Donald McCain's inmate looked an exciting prospect winning 3 out of his first 4 starts under rules before being pulled up at Newcastle in December last year. Remains an exciting prospect should he return fit and I still think we will see him in good stead when he is sent chasing, definatly one to keep on side if his fitness holds up.

6. Steveo77

Steveo77 Well-Known Member

after a fairly (in my opinion)lacklustre summer of flat racing I am looking forward to the jumps season more than ever.

I am just going to put forward 5 of the horses challenging for the major honours for now:

1. Bobs Worth - always impressive around Cheltenham and I can see no reason why he shouldn't retain his Gold Cup crown in March
    2. Sprinter Sacre - unopposable, unbeatable, the greatest I have ever seen. Champion Chase winner 2014
    3. Big Bucks - heart maybe ruling the head here but I don't see why he can't regain his title. At Fishers Cross might be anti post favourite but is surely ground dependent. I doubt it will be as soft ground in 2014 as it was this year.
    4. The New One - very progressive and strikes me as a decent each way bet for the Champion Hurdle
    5. Hurricane Fly - likewise for the Champion Hurdle. Better than ever in 2013, no reason why he should be much worse in 2014

7. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

My 5 to follow from the Henderson Yard (apart from the big 5/6+chatterbox already mentioned )

1) Captain Cutter- A 6 yr old this year, started his racing career in a bumper at ascot last year wich he won very well, then placed in another bumper at ascot, skipped cheltenham for Punchestown, where he finished second, a long way clear of the 3rd that day and now his target I should imagine will be hurdling which I can see him being pretty near the top of his field.

2) Oscar Hoof- Won 2/3 bumpers last year all of them very comfortably and he was 3rd in a very competitve race too- he looks to have alot of potential

3) Golden Hoof- I am very excited in what is in prospect for this classy gelding, he won 3 novice hurdles last year and he is a massive powerful horse, made for chasing and he will be a force to reckoned with

4) Mono Man- Not been seen by many except for his vet as had some problems, He won 2 high class bumpers and when he finally gets on the racecourse look out for him!

5) Tistory - Half brother to the talented Punchestowns was due to run in the bumper at Punchestown but apparently wasnt eligble to run, ran in the bumper at aintree where he finished a poor 7th, he has had one run over hurdles which he won very well and has a lot of ability for thisyear ahead

8. stick

stick Bumper King

Shame on you Woolly for not having the Queens CLOSE TOUCH in your Henderson five!

9. woolcombe-folly007

I started typing his name in, in the number 5 spot but had reservations coz altho he had a fantastic hurdling season last year- it mirrors the same as his full brother Open Hearted who struggled when it came to the bigger fences and i just think they are too alike and he find it hard to cope!

10. stick

stick Bumper King

That's a very good point but he looked a horse with so much potential at Sandown. Will be very interesting to see how they campaign him this season.

11. woolcombe-folly007

It will be, they will obviously go chasing and stamina worries wont be a problem as proved with winning in such heavy ground at sandown- I could see him going down the Jewson Route but would like to see him maybe go down the RSA would be interesting

12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

I see that one of my horses to follow is entered in a couple of heats up at Uttoxter on Saturday. RALLY is, at this stage, in 2 contests which are both sponsored by the &#8216;Caravan Club&#8217;. Can anyone think of the &#8216;Caravan Club&#8217; incidentally without breaking into fits of uncontrollable chuckling as they recall that famous episode of &#8216;The Inbetweeners&#8217;.

Incidentally, I wonder if said episode led to an increase or a decline in membership?!?

13. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Bobs Worth and Long Run to be there now...:emoticon-0148-yes:

Maybe Long Run can get his nose in front and win one of these for a change...<whistle>

14. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

the horse i am most looking forward to fulfilling his potential is Harry Topper--Bailey says he's the best he's had--if thats the case , can look forward to gold cup with this one, all being well......

15. twistedteapot

twistedteapot Member

Now that Barry Connell has purchased Our Conor, does that mean Danny Mullins takes the ride?

I havent heard but I would say that this is a major disadvantage to Our Conor because I believe that Bryan Cooper is the next big thing in jockeymanship(not sure if that is the right word) and while I dont want to be seen knocking young fellas, Danny is not as good as Bryan.

Thoughts...

16. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Yep, Danny Mullins will be taking over the riding responsibilities, I know Bryan Cooper is very good but Mullins isn't half bad either so I would think they should go well together, we really won't know until they have had a few races but i'd safely say they will do fine.

17. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Willie Mullins sadly reports UN ATOUT likely to miss the entire season.

18. havinacow

havinacow Member

1) Just A Par 2nd to At Fishers Cross in Sefton novices hurdle and can't wait to see this one over fences. Potential to big Nichols next star chaser!

2) Red Sherlock winner of both bumpers last year and the form is working out well with Captain Cutter finishing 2nd at Punchestown and The Skyfarmer winning first time of asking over hurdles. This fellow could be a nice one for the Pipes this year

3) Red Devil Lads 15l p2p winner at Templemore in a quick time and this one could be very smart for Miss Curtis!

4) Thomas Hobson Complete stab in the dark with this one but noticed the other day he was being entered into a NH sale. Won 3 times this year for John Gosden and rated 91 on the flat so imagine he will attract some interest at the sales in a couple of weeks!

5) Faugheen Rumoured to have been Mullins main bumper horse last year before a setback this lad finally made it to the track in a Punchestown bumper where he hosed up by 22l.

19. stick

stick Bumper King

Interesting selections havinacow but didn't you hear that THE SKYFARMERs form isn't up to much? :grin:

20. havinacow

havinacow Member

I hadn't but Red Sherlock should be good enough to win a couple of races. Faugheen and Just A Par are the two I really like and fancied putting a couple up that are a bit more obscure. Will either look really good or really stupid by the end of April lol!