1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let's talk about Alexis (and his contract)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bobo_97, Nov 27, 2016.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You can have your opinion of Ozil being more important. That's fine. And me not agreeing is also fine. No-one is going to agree on everything. But surely you have a better reason other than your three stage process? Because it's complete nonsense.

How can anyone 'create an opening' (A) without also 'exploiting the opening' (B)? Openings only appear for a player because teammates have made some runs for that player into some space, or because the opposition have gone walkabout. Either way, no player can take credit for 'creating an opening' because no player creates openings. Unless you're saying Ozil is a A-grade 'creating opening' player who makes runs to make his own space? Maybe I could see that. But then you're grading Sanchez a 'C' at it which would then suggest you don't think Sanchez makes runs to make his own space... which is nonsense.

No player can make their own opening unless they dribble past someone or make a run into space... at which point you'd have to say they're exploiting their own opening so doing A and B simultaneously. So your A/B/C list is gubbins because no individual player can be credited for doing A independently of doing B.

Putting all that aside, you're going to give Sanchez a grade of C at 'creating openings' (meaningless term) while grading Mustafi above that? And you wonder why you used to be so the subject of so much ridicule?

If this is a player who gets a C grade for creating openings and being terrible at starting things off then jeez:

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Sanchez offers much more than Ozil.

He wins the ball back, sets the right example, has pace to beat players, scores alot of goals and gets assists.

In terms of actual ability Ozil is probably the better player but Sanchez is a fighter as well as being a gifted player.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Sign Da Ting likes this.
  3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

If Ozil left you would not miss him, he is replaceable.

Sanchez on the other hand, one of the top 10 players in the world right now, and irreplaceable, unless Wenger fancies spending £80-100m signing someone like Bale or Ronaldo in the summer.....which I doubt.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

If we lost Sanchez though we could just play Mustafi there as he is more creative at making those openings according to Toledo:emoticon-0148-yes:

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Tend to agree. Losing Ozil would be a blow, but losing Sanchez would be a catastrophe. Ozil does a lot of things quietly that we would badly miss if he went, and there isn't no doubt that we would have to replace him with somebody of top quality. But Sanchez is practically irreplaceable.

Personally, I think both will sign contract extensions though.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I expected that you would try to make fun of me. I didn't expect you to understand.

Be a little more analytical. Surely you see the ball coming out of our defense and how rarely it makes it's way out, unless Mustafi (and before him Mertesacker) found Ozil in midfield.

If anyone else gets the ball, it just gets passed back to the defense again.

Why do you think we struggled when Ozil and Mustafi were missing? Because Mr. "Important" Sanchez coincidentally had a bad game?

As good as Sanchez is, and yes, probably better than Ozil, he isn't the player we would miss most.

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I think you confuse being 'difficult to understand' with 'actually very simplistic but complete gubbins'. Your 'analysis', if you can call it that, falls into the latter category. But hey, it's fun having you back and writing this sort of stuff again :emoticon-0152-heart

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Henryj

Henryj New Member

If he wants 200k+ per month he should score 30+ per season, and we all know he won't do that. I'd sell both, Ozil and Alexis. One hides in big matches, has 0 character and fight in him and the other one is just passing by, this club means nothing to him and has typical south american behaviour. His attitude towards away fans is poor, his behaviour on the pitch lately and when being subbed off is poor, and with Wenger putting him on the flanks so Giroud could play he's not worth the trouble coz he's 50% less of a player when he's there.

He's not world class, maybe sometimes, if he was world class on week to week basis he would still be in Barcelona. Arsenal fans overrate him a lot. I like his desire but after scoring in two or three matches he goes missing for twice as many.

9. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that either. A striker "Goes Missing" if he doesn't get played in enough. If he gets the service he will score 30 a season, and is every bit of him world class. I'd like to hang onto both of them. I certainly don't want him gone. There is a big difference in an academic comparison between Ozil and him and thinking he is no good.

As I was trying to point out to Cini; if our team was composed differently, Sanchez would be a better keep than Ozil.

10. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

If he was played upfront for the entire Season - he would get 30+. You cant have him playing on the flanks then complain he is'nt scoring 30 goals - and to be fair he gets 20-25 while being played all over the place.

That argument is soo stupid. Barca have arguably the greatest player ever in his position. Top quote Guardiola:
    Guardiola said: "He played really good in Barcelona but normally when you play with (Lionel) Messi all the players beside him are not at his level.
    "I think the position Arsenal are using him as a striker, in front, it is perfect for him. In Barcelona maybe I didn't help him too much because he played wide. He can do that but he is better between the lines, closer to the goal. "

If he wants 200k a week we should pay it.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yup, you'd be stupid not to.
    Will only be cutting of your nose to spite your face if you dont.
    Especially if he runs his contract down and leaves on a free.....He would be worth £50-60m easy in todays market if he was tied down.
    Plus if his contract expires you would have no control over where he goes, he could come to Chelsea or City.....then you'd be truly silly.

theevilreddevil likes this.