1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Linford Christie Stadium

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Feb 9, 2017.

1. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

I would think that the difference in distance from White City & Wood Lane stations would only be about 250 yards more than to Loftus Road.

Parking would be a bigger problem to me than train access.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

We could have a block for locals who don't really follow qpr but have nothing better to do. Like a tourist stand but marginally less gimpy.

ELLERS likes this.
  3. Supergod00

Supergod00 Active Member

I think I mentioned on here before when the old oak chat was in full flow that this could be an option, consider the fact that a stadium here would be around 500m across the park from the new old oak development, a nice park footpath could be layed leading from the new station to the ground which would also open up a link for locals to use surrounding facilities at the ground, could be a win win for us and the development!

NorwayRanger and KentGaz like this.
  4. East Herts Rangers

East Herts Rangers Active Member

Tone's next move will be forget the stadium, lets play on the Scrubs

daverangers, kiwiqpr and finglasqpr like this.
  5. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

No one watches athletics and if they do they can use West Ham. We should grab the land and use it for football no matter what Linford Lunchbollx Christie thinks. He's nothing now.

6. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

if its true that we are going to put 500 one million pound flats on loftus road,that gives us a profit of one hundred million to put into superstar players and we end up with a spanking new ground this is a superbe option to the 45 thousand stadium but i hope this can be built like the majeski whereby we can put another tier on it if required

7. Bwood_Ranger

Ted for FD!

Wherever likes this.
  8. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Calm down tEd, I don't want some soulless bowl with plastic fans!

9. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Would you say that to his face?!
    The 'Linford's Lunchbox' was amusing.

10. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Ted, what about the cost of actually purchasing the land? More likely we'll have to sell players to Finance the project unless TF & Ruben are suddenly feeling flush.

11. Jonqpr

Jonqpr Active Member

Personally I believe we should be keeping at 40k and start acting like we mean business. And more important not build another your stadium is like ours and build a work of art exciting architectural feast. Chelski are doing it and will only take them further ahead as a club. I hope our owners read this, this is vital to attracting more fans and players. I did email mr Fernandez about two years ago about this very point but got no answer.

SW Ranger and NorwayRanger like this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

A rare oversight from our Tone to miss such insight.

13. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Probably not! I just have a thing about running tracks in football stadiums and it made me panic. I think what MK Dons have done in digging below ground level is clever and I like the way they have a stadium that is expandable further down the line. We should do something similar.

14. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I think we're all agreed about the no running track thing.

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I now live in Berkshire and I have seen Reading go from 5-6K to averaging more than us due to a new stadium. (although 80% of their fans are plastic and support other clubs).

The problem is you don't say you are going to build a 40K stadium and then a few months later say it will now be 30K especially after you bragging of filling it with cheaper tickets and aiming for the future.

Now I will agree that we won't fill a 40K stadium, not even a 35K at the present time. Even 30K would be a huge task. Actually, with the football on display at present, we would struggle to hit 20K.
    However...
    If Tone wants us to be a long-term Premiership club then he needs to aim a bit higher or we will just keep going up for 1-2 seasons every 16 years.
    Football is getting bigger and we keep getting left behind, time and time again.

If we are going to make a move which will be the last one we see in our lifetimes we need to get it right. We are a London club and a decent stadium in the Premiership will bring fans. Example if we play any of the big London boys you could give them 8-10K tickets. With 3-5K tourists. We would only need to get 20-25K Rangers to sell out a 35K stadium.

The reason we can't sell out a 19K ground at the moment is because our ground is s22t. Don't get me wrong I love HQ and spent all my life going to QPR at Loftus Rd but I am not stupid and understand what a modern fan wants.

I used to come with my son My mate and his 2 kids and occasionally our Mrs would get dragged to the ground. That was 5 regular fans (season ticket holders) and 2/3 extra guests. It's now just me. Why? Because they hated coming to the ground, queuing for a toilet, getting crushed in a seat and experiencing the worst catering.
    But to top it off, they couldn't believe the price of a ticket!

If Tony has any sense he will be forward thinking and build a stadium between 30-40K and not mess about with building on at a later date because it won't happen.

The other reason Tony may want a small size stadium is because it will be cheaper and he can rake in more dosh from Loftus Rd and sail into the sunset.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Ninj, SW Ranger, daverangers and 4 others like this.
  16. Bwood_Ranger

After you've taken the effort to type that, I feel bad that my comment was just taking the piss.

17. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Running track clearly referred to as 'adjacent', i.e. next door...

But, more importantly, capacity needs to be expandable not fixed... utterly tinpot to expect the current 15k to magically swell to 30k just because the seats are there and we are in the Championship... there are 3 teams in the 24 averaging 30k+ (out of 10 with 30k capacity) - seems to me that an adaptive design that accommodates expansion from a realistic 20k to a potential 30/35k is entirely logical and can be based on an adding tiers principle that is developed as attendances grow... if they don't then the original design is cheaper, but still offers expansion if the team of 75/76 are magically reincarnated many years hence in some Zombie/hoop nightmare/fantasy.

On another note, my preference would be to buy out the 2 streets to the east and south of LR and build the whole thing on the spot - obv. I don't live there and wouldn't expect anyone to just rollover and sell up for anything other than top dollar.

However, if it were feasible and acceptable to the homeowners, it might just prove the most cost effective and most popular option

18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I know I re-read it. <doh> That took me ages to write. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

19. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

jumpers for goalp[osts

Wherever and UTRs like this.
  20. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Brighton built Falmer and then added tiers later... it does work and makes the development cheaper whilst planning for the future

Ninj and Jonqpr like this.