1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Macca to Barnsley

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 16, 2011.

1. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

I imagine me, but onlyh because you're too arrogant to consider somebody else's opinion.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Not getting rattled are you, I thought we were just exchanging opinions? :emoticon-0131-angel

3. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

4. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

Blimey - TWF is obviously a fine wummer as he's stirred up a real hornet's nest. His dislike for the Pearsons is genuinely irrational and he offers little (or no) evidence to back his opinions up. The psuedo-intellectual argument that statistics can prove anything doesn't hold water and represents the sort of generalisation that I find surprising in someone who is studying maths as an undergraduate. The truth is that poorly chosen statistical analyses can be misleading but properly applied statistics incorporate sufficient checks and balances to avoid such pitfalls.
    A true multivariate analysis of City's performance this season would make allowance for the adverse psychological effects on the ability of the relegated squad - strong on paper but much weakened by loss of confidence. In fact the evidence clearly shows that there has been a significant upwards turn in form and this has been reflected in an improving rate of point accumulation.
    Speaking as a former student (whose PhD thesis included a large statistical component) I might add that I am more than happy with Nigel Pearson's performance and I hope that he is with us for a long time to come. No doubt that some of his decisions and choices won't work out but everything so far indicates that he'll do pretty well. So TWF - relax an enjoy the journey!

5. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

'A true multivariate analysis of City's performance this season would make allowance for the adverse psychological effects on the ability of the relegated squad'. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

6. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

For you TWF

Young man,
    Please get off of our boards,
    I said young man,
    Your a bit of a bore,
    I said young man,
    I think I'm going to ignore,
    Your child-ish rants, a-bout, Pear-son

Is this another "I think Pearson is awful" post. I think it is! Your a broken record sunshine, keep on singing the same tune.

Burke.

7. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

If I'm being honest I think your all disagreeing with TWF for arguments sake about Brown and Dowie. Anyone with a brain would have prefered Brown and I know everyone here thinks the same as this conversation has popped up a million times and always come to the same conclusion.

That's why I'm suprised TWF wouldn't have prefered to appoint Dowie :huh:

8. Amin Yapusi

It's fun to pick on the TWF,
    It's fun to pick on the TWF.

9. MattTheTiger

I have said millions of times that I believe Brown could have kept us up. I (and everyone with half a brain) Disagree with his constantly negative posts regarding the Pearons and the way we play. He makes them out to be the worst people since the nazis when they're actually doing a very good job.

10. Amin Yapusi

I know what he's like, but everyones doing a 'him' and disagreeing with him now just for the sake of an argument. The fact that stats are coming out showing that Dowie got a higher points-per-game ratio just to try and prove he was better, says everything.

Why not just resort to personal insults? Makes much more entertaining reading.

11. MattTheTiger

Thats what I am doing :) I'm not disagreeing for the sake of an argument at all, I merely put across my views.........

12. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

Matt, on the first part of your post,I think Browny should have been given the chance, as we were so close to the end of the season, but that was not to be. Which to use part of your Following statement "I (and everyone with half a brain,) felt that the BOARD made a mistake with their decision.
    On the second part, i fully agree with your sentiments, and Iwould be so bold to say, most of the posters on here are also in agreement to some extent.

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Is this not Monty Python's room for an argument then? :emoticon-0112-wonde

14. fairweatherfan

Certainly sir. Have you been here before?

15. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

No it's the room for very naughty, NAUGHTY boys (and girls[bloody PC Brigade:emoticon-0107-sweat]!!)<ok><cool>

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

No, I haven't, this is my first time.

17. Horsham_Tiger

Horsham_Tiger Well-Known Member

I think I'll agree with TWF......

You can "prove" anthing you like by using selective statistics. The whole idea about multivariate statistics etc is very nice in theory but who actually EVER collects all the data with complete lack of bias and complete confidence? A few of us "pure mathematicians" have argued this point with the "statisticians" we know, no-one won on that one either.....

It's nice to see various stats being produced to promote the arguments (speaking as someone with a maths degree).

On TWF's other points I can't agree, but I'm still enjoying reading the debates he gets into with everyone.

A bit too much name calling from all sides at times, but that's what being passionate about your team does for you!

18. x

x Well-Known Member

you also think pb could have produced 12 points from the last 9 games without bullard despite the only time it had happened since 2008 being briefly when bullard had his player of the month stint? you think there was going to be a sudden spike in the graph completely out of nowhere?

19. Horsham_Tiger

Horsham_Tiger Well-Known Member

Who's to say it couldn't happen? It becomes a question of faith doesn't it?(a bit like religion, you can't prove that "god" doesn't exist by scientific arguments)

Personally I don't think we would have stayed up whatever, I'm also agnostic.

We'll never be able to prove one way or the other if PB could have suddenly gone on a run with the team. Or if we hadn't have conceded those two late goals at Fratton Park then Folan's confidence might have soared and he then would go on a goal crazy run, saving us and whoever the boss was (although probably not Brown). We can all dream

"you also think pb could have produced 12 points from the last 9 games without bullard despite the only time it had happened since 2008"

Never say never! Whoever thought that we'd win away games at the Emirates and White Hart Lane? (both without Bullard)

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Brownie had more chance of keeping us up than Dowie(who's a complete arse), but based on both their records(what ever way they are twisted), it's likely that both were more than capable of taking us down.

Personally, I think the only person that would have been capable of keeping us up, was Nigel Pearson. :emoticon-0105-wink: :emoticon-0116-evilg :emoticon-0103-cool: