1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Macclesfield Vs The Gas Game Thread

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    VS

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Darrell takes a look at Saturday's opponents

Rovers head to Moss Rose to take on fellow promotion chasers Macclesfield Town on Saturday in the day's early kick off in front of the BT Sport cameras with Darrell expecting a very difficult game.

"They are all tough games in this league especially towards this end of the season, but we want to go out there and enjoy it.

"Everyone talks about pressure and if we can handle it but my message to the players is go out there any enjoy yourself because it is great to be challenging for a promotion regardless of whatever league you're in.

"It is great for us, there are six games left and we are in with a shout of winning promotion and we go into these games not fearing anything.

"It is my job to get the team organised and ready for the next game and then it is all over to the players.

Macclesfield currently sit six points behind Rovers in the Vanarama Conference table with only six games remaining and a loss to Rovers at the weekend could put pay to their hopes of automatic promotion.

"There is a lot of pressure on both teams but that is to be expected if you are fighting at the business end of the season there are teams in the middle of the table that don't have a lot to play for but ourselves and Macclesfield definitely do.

"I'm sure they are feeling a bit of pressure, a lot of people may think they have overachieved this season but I am not one of those people. They are an ex-league club and have got some good players and they will be looking forward to the game just as much as we are.

Today is transfer deadline day and the last time that clubs can bring in players for the remainder of the season and Darrell talks us through his progress.

"I said earlier in the week I was looking to bring in one or two new faces but I have missed out on a couple of targets but we will see how the rest of today goes but I'm certainly not panicking to bring someone in.

"I have a very good squad and the additions of Jermaine Easter and Chris Lines have added a lot but it was just a few tweaks if I could get the players that I wanted to bring in but I am still in talks with one player.

"For this Saturday's game I've got five players out [Stuart Sinclair and Neal Trotman injured, Lee Mansell suspended and Jake Gosling and Ellis Harrison on International duty] so we are going to potentially be a bit short on Saturday but I've never worked with a big squad.

"I've recalled Jamie Lucas and Danny Greenslade from their loans at Weston and Truro respectively because they have done fantastic because that then strengthens us for the one or two that could be missing Saturday.

3. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Not sure if anyone will be on here on Saturday I will be watching the game I might have the PC on also to do updates:emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I will be watching the game too on tv. I wasnt going to be in here too as I dont want to miss the anything. But if there is some on here who want up dates then I will come on like yourself seamge. If not then I will be sat right in front of the tv with a few bevvies :) I will come on at half time though and full time of course. If we are getting hammered then I will be here moaning! Depends on the game but if people rely on our updates then I will be more than happy to come on and do so <ok>

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  5. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the last time we were on TV at Macclesfield? Sky showed the game in September 2002 and we lost 2-1 after going 2-0 down after 17 minutes. Wayne Carlisle got our goal, but it was dreadful performance from us in that horrible orange kit.

6. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Yeah I remember that one I was at the game we won 4-3 it was Ray Johnston only game in goal

7. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Yeah I should be on it probably be easier to post then when we listen on the radio

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

would be harder i think. radio on, my eyes can stay here and type. tv on, my eyes will be watching that and everytime i type here i miss the action!

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

All you need to know about todays opponents

Rovers: Darrell Clarke's men will be looking to add to last week's victory over Aldershot as they chase the Vanarama Conference title.

Team News: Stuart Sinclair will be the only long term absentee however new signing Abdulai Baggie is available for selection as is youth pair Jamie Lucas and Danny Greenslade.

Darrell's View: "There is a lot of pressure on both teams but that is to be expected if you are fighting at the business end of the season there are teams in the middle of the table that don't have a lot to play for but ourselves and Macclesfield definitely do.

"I'm sure they are feeling a bit of pressure, a lot of people may think they have overachieved this season but I am not one of those people. They are an ex-league club and have got some good players and they will be looking forward to the game just as much as we are.

Opposition: Macclesfield currently sit in fourth place in the Vanarama Conference table just six points behind Darrell Clarke's men with a total of 71 points. The Silkmen have always been there or there abouts this season but have lost on their last two outings losing 2-1 to Gateshead and then 0-1 to Nuneaton last weekend at Moss Rose.

Dangerman - Jack Sampson: Sampson made his switch to Moss Rose yesterday from League Two Morecambe on loan until the end of the season. The former England Under-19 International began his career with Bolton before leaving in 2013. Sampson then joined Morecambe where he has since made 46 appearances for the club scoring five goals.

Last Time Out: Darrell Clarke's men ran riot in the last outing between these sides back in December as Andy Monkhouse, Nathan Blissett, Matty Taylor and Ellis Harrison were on the scoresheet in the comprehensive 4-0 win at the Mem.

Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...esfield-town-2362586.aspx#9fu4j4giQ3IZG6hg.99

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Today Bristol Rovers have an early televised fixture when they face promotion rivals Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose. Having lost their last two games the Silkmen realise they are running out of opportunities to make ground.

Last Saturday they succumbed to low lying Nuneaton Borough in a home fixture. With time ticking away, Borough skipper Theo Streete missed a glorious chance to give the visitors all three points, his one-on-one effort with Taylor saw the keeper coming off best.

Moments later, Taylor was left with no chance as a cross-cum-shot from new-man Josh Rees, looked to be heading wide, but substitute Onome Sodje stole in, sliding the ball home to give Nuneaton a well deserved victory.

Despite those two defeats Macc Boss John Askey is calling on his players to see out the season in style, “Apart from the first half against Altrincham we haven’t played well for three or four weeks, so we’ve got to get back to playing football again.”

“Hopefully that will happen this Saturday, I’m hoping the pitch won’t be quite as firm and we can get back to what we've been doing well.

“I don’t want them to panic, there are no excuses for us panicking on the ball, I’d prefer us to go down fighting and trying to do things the right way.”

“We’re just on a bad spell, every team has them,” added Askey, “We’re still in good stead and the players have been great, I’m trying to get the message to them that they’ve just got to believe in themselves again.”

“They’ve got enough ability for it to come good again. It looks like a big gap to make up at the minute but it will look different if we can win on Saturday. We know there will be twists and turns before the end of the season, so if we can put another good run together, like we did at the start of the year, there’s still a chance we could top the league at the end.”

“We need three more wins if you’re looking at the play-offs and I don’t mind if we crawl over the finish line, as long as we get over but everybody’s got to take stock and enjoy it. They should be enjoying the challenge, we’re in a fantastic position and as a player it’s what you crave. But we won’t look beyond the next game, we’ll focus everything on Saturday and trying to get all three points.”

Rovers will not be lulled into a false sense of security. Until the game at the Mem Rovers had failed to beat the Maxonians in 8 previous meetings at the Mem. Until that 4-0 best of season result, games between the teams were inevitably tight. In none of the previous 16 games had there been more than 1 goal difference. The last season the teams met was in 2001/12 and both games finished scoreless.

The 18th December 1998 saw the Silkmen travel to The Mem for their first game against Rovers, it ended in a 0-0 draw in which the Cheshire side gave a battling performance.

The return leg at the Moss Rose, on 8th May the last day of the season, provided one last kick in the teeth for the Silkmen in a relegation season. After going 2-0 up after 20 minutes and still leading 3-1 just after half time, two goals in two minutes and an 87th minute strike gave Rovers a 4-3 win.

For Rovers, Jamie Cureton scored a memorable hat trick and Frankie Bennett notched a rare goal. For Macclesfield, Efe Sodje’s season finished early after he was sent off.

The Silkmen have the upper hand in the records having beaten Rovers seven times with seven draws and just three Rovers victories.

In mid-week Town took a day off their normal routine and captain Paul Turnbull thinks that a squad day out was needed. The Macclesfield squad put aside their muddied boots and swapped them for race helmets as they took each other on at go-karting in a team bonding exercise.

“The results coming in at the moment aren’t the best results ever but we needed a day out because we haven’t had one this year yet and it’s a great experience for us.”

“John Askey’s told us just to relax and that’s how things were at the start of the season. Obviously winning games is very important for us and coming here today just takes your mind off it for a little bit and we will back to training on Thursday.”

Turnbull also thinks that the promotion battle could open up once more if his side manages to grab a win over the Gas, “I think the Bristol game is the biggest game of the season. If we win on Saturday then it opens up again and we will go very close. I just hope results go our way,” he said.

On the injury front Scott Barrow is likely to remain sidelined, “Scott’s still really struggling, we can’t get to the bottom of his problem, he’s desperate to get back playing again – and we’d love to have him back again, but then Alex Grant has been great there.”
    Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/focus-on-macclesfield-2362458.aspx#16oLd7JHiDfaaKf6.99

12. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Need a point at least, or Alfreton to play out of their skins

13. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Gerry Prewett (writer of the above piece posted by seamge) needs reminding that Nuneaton are not called 'Borough' anymore.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Starting line up! Looks like 442 unless its 4312 with Balanta playing behind the front 2.

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Early pic of the pitch... looking pretty damp!

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Away end so far.... the orange t-shirts are for the sainsbury protest!!!

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Right then, build up has started on BT Sports.

18. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Do or die today can't afford to draw or lose a must win IMO

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Looking at the line up its goy a lot of league experience in it

20. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Love the bloke in the tutu