1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MAJR's All Purpose Pompey Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by MAJR, Apr 18, 2014.

1. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

God I've enjoyed watching those Pathé news reels. Manly handshakes after a goal. Cut glass BBC accents and cheery music all the way through.

I wish I could have experienced the size of those crowds too, the atmos must have been amazing!

2. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

God I've enjoyed watching those Pathé news reels. Manly handshakes after a goal. Cut glass BBC accents and cheery music all the way through.

I wish I could have experienced the size of those crowds too, the atmos must have been amazing!

3. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Michael Appleton's back in football management at Oxford: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28163679 I know he wasn't really the best of managers but I still kind of like him. He had a sort of dignity that appealed to me...even though things didn't haven't worked out for him so far in management.

4. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Two Pompey old boys on the move:-

Liam Lawrence has signed a two year contract with Shrewsbury Town, and Matty Taylor (what a player......) has moved on a free transfer from Wet Spam to Burnley.

5. Leading Fish in Hants

Leading Fish in Hants Active Member

Matty Taylor was probably my favourite player of the Premier years. Good luck to him, I hope he does well at Burnley.

6. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's called progress, there is not one single Saints fan that would want us to still be playing at The Dell despite all the great memories of games at the old ground. The simple fact is that we couldn't compete with a 15,000 capacity and every supporter deserves a good view in comfort for the price of their match ticket.
    When Pompey were doing well in The Premier League under 'Arry they probably could have pulled in more than the 20,000 capacity that restricts Fratton Park. Another consideration must be safety, and I went to the old Wembley in 1992 and it was evident then that the National Stadium was not fit to host prestigious events, The New Wembley is spectacular.

8. Singing Blue 3

Singing Blue 3 Well-Known Member

Except , when I last went to new Wembley in March this year, for Saracens against Quins with the wrong shaped ball, they didn't sell Guiness, just pi55 poor lager and watery bitter. Apart from that..................<whistle>

9. Singing Blue 3

10. Saint Possum

Saint Possum Well-Known Member

Your obviously drinking in the wrong area sb3, try the Bobby Moore Suite, I found plenty of everything to drink in there. On second thoughts you probably wouldn't be allowed.

11. breconsaint

breconsaint Active Member

12. breconsaint

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I don't think SB3 would flounder about with a fish like that brecon. There's a plaice for that kind of comment. We certainly have a whale of a time when you come to visit, as you're such a happy sole. Must go, got to have a new herring aid fitted. Still, must stop carping on, as I've just smelt a rat.

Ay Thang Yaw as Arthur Askey used to say.....<cheers>

14. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

I never saw any reason why Pompey should even have been contemplating moving from Fratton Park. If we had, as the plan was back in 2003 under Mandaric, turned the Stadium 90 degrees, added corner boxes and increased the capacity by 8-10,000 and modernized the facilities that would have been ideal, but instead all we heard about was looking for locations for a new stadium - they suggest the King Geogre VI Playing Field in Cosham or down the Dockyards as just two that I can remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there were more.

And, that's the thing, we didn't need the all-out "progress" of moving elsewhere and knocking down our historic home, we just needed to improved the home we had. It's one of the failings of Pompey's spell in the top leagues that we never got round to doing that.

15. breconsaint

Excellent! Seven fish puns in a roe <ok>

16. Singing Blue 3

Thank Cod thats finished. Brill thread though.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I'm perched on the edge of the settee reading this. What a load of pollocks ! I feel a right pilchard for starting this in the first place, although it has brought a ray of sunshine into Brecon's life, and I'm sure eel be back later.

18. Singing Blue 3

WAHOO I am becoming a DAB hand at this. Brecon must be showing a bit of GREENEYE right now , IDE expect his OLDWIFE is a little surprised at Brecons interest in fish rather than sheep? I wonder if she is really a HORSE or even a REDHORSE SUCKER? <laugh>

Here is one of the Scummers favorite fish.<laugh>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyfish

I had better JACK this in now! <laugh>

19. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

The News in honour of the anniversay of the start of Bosman transfers has created a starting 11 of what they call the finest Bosman transfers in Pompey history. It's a damned good team on paper: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-s-finest-bosman-signings-1-7117602

Hislop
    Primus, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson
    Stone, Merson, Norris, Berger
    Sheringham, Kanu

All but two of them signed by Redknapp - Primus came before and Norris after. I'm one of the mans biggest critics but when he got it right he signed some great players.

3rd eye likes this.
  20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

That is some team, MAJR.

Good old 'Arry, eh !