1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Managers of the Liebherr era.....

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Mar 28, 2015.

1. stjohnson

stjohnson Active Member

So we've had ....

Pardew, Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman.

Who would you say has had the biggest impact on the club ? and who would you have back in the future?

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Adkins made the greatest strides for the club when he was here, so I'd go with our Nige.

stjohnson likes this.
  3. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Adkins. Sadly I wouldn't have any of them back, unless we were relegated in which case Adkins.

4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

We've not had a bad manager under Liebherr ownership, have we? :)

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

It depends on our fortunes really. Hopefully, we'd need none of the former managers back, but the one who blotted his copybook was Pochypoo, so I wouldn't have him back under any circumstances. I'd have Jesus Perez back though, as an assistant coach. So of the three former managers, I have nothing but good thoughts for the first two.

Who, I wonder might be next after Ronald Koeman's contract finishes, if the upward trajectory continues unabated..? An extension..?

6. Saint_rob

Saint_rob Member

Koeman will take us to the next level.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Jeez, they've all been good, haven't they. And only one has also been an utter twat, which is not a bad ratio.

Hope Nigel gets a job soon.

And Poch gets the sack.

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Bad? No. But Pardew is still a dick.

fatletiss and tomw24 like this.
  9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I think Koeman will leave when his contract ends.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yes so do I, hence the who comes after question. But you never know.

11. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

In terms of performance I'd probably rate them in this order:

Adkins - Two promotions, may well have kept us up if he hadn't been sacked. Not much bad to say really.
    Pardew - Very slightly ahead of Koeman because we were a complete mess when he took over and he actually won something, even if it wasn't the most glamorous trophy. Turned around a squad that was pretty much threadbare, instilled a winning mentality and also brought in Lambert and Fonte, who are probably two of the best signings in the club's history. Was sacked at the right time though
    Koeman - Inherited a successful squad that was breaking up and has so far done a very good rebuilding job. Looks likely to achieve the highest finish since McMenemy but it's slightly too early to put him ahead of the others, unless we get into the Champions League this year
    Pochettino - Took over a good squad, improved the style of play and cemented us in the Premier League but didn't do anything amazing. Looking back I wonder if he'd peaked

They were all very good managers for where we were at the time but I don't think I'd want any of them back.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I think Koeman see's Southampton as somewhere he can prove to others that he can coach abroad and be successful (successful in terms with the size of our club). I hope you are right as for me Koeman is the best manager I have seen at Southampton. It's not only how he has got the team to play, but how he is so honest and always says how he feels. But I can see him moving on to a bigger club after his contract is up here and I would wish him all the best.

manxsaint likes this.
  13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He will at least see out his contract with us unlike Pochetwato.

14. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

They all played their part, but Nigel's contribution really eclipses everything else. If Ron stays for the duration of his contract, then we can look forward to further progression. The other two earned their wages, but were certainly less important in the moment of time.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The greatest achievement was Nigel's...you can't argue with 2 promotions. Pardew may have got us promoted as well, but we will never know. He said himself recently that he didn't think he deserved the sack...can't argue with that. MP got the team fitter and introduced them to his style of attacking football...perhaps you know better, but not sure what else he did....apart from suggesting by his behaviour that everyone would be better if they left. Koeman is what it says on the tin...good manager who rebuilt a fractured team and gave the players confidence again and (I think) an honourable man.

Koeman may yet become our best manager, but Nigel Adkins holds that title at the moment.

16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I don't like Pardew. I have never liked Pardew. That's ok though because he loves himself to cover that.

Adkins has had the biggest influence todate due to the two promotions, but big Ron is getting mighty close.

I wouldn't want Pardew back and I hope we never need Nigel back as that would mean we have slipped down a league. I really think Poch was a twat in how he behaved, but I wouldn't shut the door on him, if the need arose. I don't think present owners/management would allow it anyway.

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I wouldn't open the door to him in the first place. If he came knocking, I'd show him round the back entrance then keep him waiting on the back step til it got dark and he pissed off home.

Of all the leavers in the summer, he's the only one I can't wish good luck to. As long as he stays at Spurs, I'd be happy if they never won another game, but unfortunately I think he's a perfect fit for that club.

That said, I can't decide if Harry Kane has saved Pochettino's job or if the former's success is in part a demonstration of the latter's determination to develop young talent.

18. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

He stumbled upon Kane, pure fluke. Harry scored his way into the first eleven, MP will take all the plaudits but to me its rather an obvious job saving season defining fluke. Hope Pool buy him for 86 million this summer. <laugh>

19. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Not sure he can take credit for Kane seeing as Tim Sherwood gave him his debut but I expect he will try.

20. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I can see Kane going to a big club in the summer.....Liverpool seem to want to buy everyone...