1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Managers of the Liebherr era.....

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Mar 28, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't see how does your second comment follows on from the first? A bit of a non sequitur:rolleyes:

2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Typed whilst half asleep :shocked:
    What I mean is I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool make an offer for Kane.

3. fran-MLs little camera

One thing we can say is that we have had good managers throughout the Leihberr era.

4. fran-MLs little camera

But he would prefer to go to a big club<devil>

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0140-rofl:

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Win ratios:

Pardew - 53.13
    Adkins - 54.03
    Pochettino - 38.33
    Koeman - 58.62

For me Adkins is still the man, but if we have a similar season to this one next season (or better) then without a doubt, it's Koeman.

7. fran-MLs little camera

Has to be Adkins for what he achieved, but of course the others never had the chance to get us promoted. Koeman could probably have got us promoted, but not so sure about Mauricio. Pardew could have done it, but not so sure about consecutive promotions as he may have killed Nicola at some point. Adkins place in our history is assured as hopefully no one has to do it again. Love Nigel:emoticon-0115-inlov

Saints_Alive likes this.
  8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

May 2011 vs Walsall, and May 2012 vs Coventry where two of the greatest memories of my Saints supporting life. I'm not sure that anything could ever eclipse either. Even if we won the Champions League I'm not sure it would beat those two magical spring days.

Thanks Nige.

fran-MLs little camera and Libby like this.
  9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

10. nice teeth

nice teeth Well-Known Member

With every appointment I have worried that it would be the start of a downward spiral (I was excited about RK, but thought the club had shafted him by selling our best players) and each time I am pleased to say I have been wrong. My kids are 5 & 8 years old and have been coming to watch Saints with me since they were 3, I keep telling them that we won't always have it this good, they don't believe me...

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

As much as love what Ron has done with the team this season (and his job has just started), what Nigel achieved in our Championship promotion winning season was even better. It was effectively the same squad as we had in League One with about 5m spent on first team regulars, Corky, Jos and Danny Fox balanced by the loss of AOC for 15m before the season started.
    The Championship is a notoriously hard league to get out of and there were some strong contenders that season, IF we hadn't gone up that season, then things might've been a lot different now, without the SKY revenue and the ability to attract top players to the club.

God bless you Nige (and Andy Crosby), we owe you a lot.

Archers Road likes this.
  12. Anders Svensson

Anders Svensson New Member

Like many of you, MP's departure left a sour taste in my mouth. Not only because he went to Tottenham, or because he clearly made up his mind when Cortese left, and may have influenced key players to move on. He was responsible for our great season fizzling out, in both the league and even more disappointingly, the FA cup.

So, as much as I loved him, the resentment now is justified.

However, I don't think we should forget that last year was our best ever Premier League position, points total, most clean sheets, fewest goals conceded, best goal difference, most players in England squad, etc etc.

And we achieved those records with some of the most stylish, technical, committed football the league has ever seen. We finished one place below MAN UTD, and spent a large part of the season in the top 3-6! Chelsea home and away were the only games I thought we were out-classed and deserved to lose, despite having a team largely composed of players from League One and the Championship.

You don't think that is a great achievement?

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Any great achievement feeling was completely blown apart by the fact that it could have counted for nothing. It could have been the end of an era.

The real achievement has been the business-as-usual attitude of the club to steer right on course up the league, as if nothing had happened. Last season was just another stepping stone.

14. fran-MLs little camera

Any little respect I had for MP disappeared when he tried to claim all the credit for this season. Koeman suggested perhaps he should pass 80% of the manager of the month trophy to Mauricio. If he did, Pochettino should have had to pass some to Nigel and Alan.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Nigel's achievements are obviously on paper the greatest, but then the ability for a Premier League manager to achieve in that sense (and with regard to our spending power in terms of L1/Champ vs Prem) is an awful lot harder.

Adkins - really good lower league manager who did great by us
    Pardew - twat, but a decent enough Premier League manager for one season at a time
    Pochettino - a good PL level manager learning his trade (the downplaying of his abilities here is bizarre as referenced by Anders above)
    Koeman - our best manager of the four for any number of reasons.

16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You're being harsh on Pardew ... he's good for 18 months at a time in the Premier league :)

I seem to be the only one who would consider the poisoned Argentinian again in the future.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

No, I absolutely would.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Right now he is a twat and I don't like him; doesn't stop him being good though unfortunately

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Exactly. People seem to be confusing the two an awful lot here.

(I don't even think he is all that much of a twat)

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

The thing I always remember about Nigel is that he took us up, then we weren't below 2nd in the Championship after a matchday at any stage during the 2011/12 season, having just been promoted from League One. Incredible.