1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester City vs. Arsenal 2016/17 Official Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheOXOCube:5pur2, Dec 17, 2016.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Of course, he revolutionised football in England. His early teams will go down as some of the best in PL history.

PINKIE likes this.
  2. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Enough to gloss over the last 12 years?

3. lazarus20000

I didn't say that. As I said his earlier teams not his latter ones. We should be doing better with the players we have and Wenger deserves criticism for it.

4. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Or maybe you should stop living in the past. Because every time we inevitably collapse or go through a rough patch that we never recover from, you always regurgitate the same lines of "it could be worse, it used to be worse", rather than actually focusing on where our current problems lie and what we can do to rectify them.

You may consider yourself to be a better supporter than myself, but between you and I, I'm the one that actually cares about how we progress going forwards, whereas you seem satisfied to live on past glories.

Admittedly, you're not the only one culpable of this...yes, I am referring to @PISKIE...

5. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Undoubtedly Sanchez and Ozil are our best players but its odd how they tend to disappear when we play better opposition, particularly Ozil.
    With Spuds and ManU getting it together we could be in an end of season fight for a Europa Cup place.
    Wenger did say this week that the championship could well be determined by the Christmas period results.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

**** off Park you little drama queen. I've been on here saying how bad we were today, how worrying the signs are at our collapse in the last two games and yet still you try and drag me into a little spat you're having with somebody else about an issue that I've not even commented on. Go and have your pissy fit somewhere else you little tart <ok>

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Monday - draw Bayern in the CL
    Tuesday - lose to Everton in a poor overall performance after leading
    Wednesday - see all rivals get 3 pts
    Saturday - see all rivals get 3 pts
    Sunday - lose to City in a poor performance after leading

What a Wenger-week!

8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Wenger: "What is worse is that out of two good performances we got zero points..."

<confused>

9. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah.

How about you actually get your head out of Wenger's arse and become a proper Arsenal fan for once? You're literally incapable of criticising the man for anything he does wrong. Just admit it - you care more about Wenger than you do about Arsenal. We could get relegated and you'd still tacitly accept him being our manager.

You want to know why I brought your name into the spat? Because fans with views like yours are part of the problem we're currently facing at Arsenal. Settling for mediocrity and eager to put a positive spin on anything.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I have never seen the fans of another team argue with each other in such an antagonistic way. The pro and anti Wenger debate doesn't need to be so pointlessly angry.
    People arguing about what qualifies a fan to be a fan <laugh>
    People arguing Wenger is now **** <laugh>
    You just ended a 14 match unbeaten run which included smashing Chelsea 3 nil.
    Some arsenal fans on here and in the real world seem more interested in their point of view of wenger rather than supporting the team imho

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That's a bit harsh imo. This isn't simply about ending an unbeaten run. This is symptomatic of a recurring pattern (unsurprisingly at this very time of year) over the last 10-12 years which people are rightly drawing attention to. Because they can back up from past experience what the eventual outcome will likely be.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  12. remembercolinlee

Every team has a bad patch but few fans turn on eachother like arsenal fans do imho.
    I get people thinking he's great and others thinking maybe it's time to change ... I just don't get how angry some get

13. lazarus20000

Hit it on the head. I'm certainly not getting angry but some people must have their heads up Wenger's butt if they can't see that it's groundhog day again.

Seriously I have no idea what happens to these players. They seem to fall apart mentally at key times during the season which makes our title challenge disappear. Maybe a while ago we were genuinely not good enough but we certainly are now. There is one constant in this whole thing and it's Wenger. He seems incapable of instilling the appropriate level of confidence in these players to maintain a title challenge from beginning to end.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Has he mentioned "mental strength" again recently? I'm no psychologist, but every time he says that, it seems to me it's for his players' benefit, and his own, rather than the actual truth. Almost like he's trying to convince those inside the club than anyone else.

I actually have a great deal of respect for Wenger. I think he's a decent bloke and his general football ethos is one I can subscribe to. But I don't think he's a strong enough leader. While it may be too early to right off arsenal for the title, I can't help feeling the same as I have for the last 7 or 8 season, that you won't be winning it with him at the helm. Having said that, look at us - once you lose the stability of a manager who's been there for 20+ years you really are into the unknown. So the question ALL you gooners really should be asking (calmly) is whether:

A) You're prepared to suffer what may come with the insecurity of losing Wenger but with the potential of having a better manager who may achieve greatness
    B) Better to keep the stability of CL football with what seems like an ever decreasing chance of achieving one of the two top trophies

15. remembercolinlee

Maybe angry is the wrong word...but claiming that people who see wenger differently to you must have their heads up his arse is hardly a decent or helpful way to debate with other gooners...my point is that both sides do it to each other and I do not see such a split at other clubs so find it bizarre to be honest

16. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Wenger will go at season end, so who will replace him ?
    imo we aren't good enough to win the league with Wenger in charge as he is incapable of getting a team to see the game out when leading and being put under pressure. It's not just the last 2 games, it's been the same for last 8-10 years.
    Wenger also fannies about too much in the transfer market and we all know he won't buy any new players in January. We need a replacement for Santi as he keeps getting injured and wont get any younger but Wenger won't buy despite us missing a creative midfielder for most of this season, and Ramsey isn't the answer.
    We need to sell Ramsey and Ox and buy Isco and have Santi as back up.
    We also need to give Sanchez what he wants so he stays.
    Ozil is brilliant when he wants but is it often enough ? Ozil goes missing too often, so who would you prefer we keep.

17. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well to be honest I've basically given up on this Season already.

Now I'm still exciting for the Champions League games against Bayern but in terms of the league its just not going to happen. We will go on another good run for sure - we will probably make up some ground on Chelsea but we clearly have all the same issues as every Season.

Wenger does the same things over and over again and expects different results. It's maddening and no longer entertaining. I don't think we will even improve upon last Season - If I had to guess 3rd/4th is where we will end up.

18. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

It's that time of the season again

#Wengerout

19. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie; I also really fear who the board will pick as our next manager. I have a feeling they will not bring in anyone who is well known or has experience. They will probably bring in another unknown ala wenger.

I personally think it will be Eddie Howe, which will be quite disastrous imo.

20. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

The time when you spout cr@p? Isn't that most times of the season?