1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Anderlecht

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I meant aggregate <whistle>

2. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

Schalke fans must be feeling sick

3. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

we had to make it the hard way as usual, don't we ?
    am not sure if opposition were brilliant or how bad we defended at our half ?
    but Rashford was brilliant .. Romero was shakey

4. Stan

Stan Stalker

Well that was hard work

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Rashford had some lovely touches and great movement but should have had a hat trick, bit short of brilliant for me.
    That said, Zlatan and Pogba should have had a couple each, same story as usual, piss poor finishing in a game we should have strolled.

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Hard work. Most teams go through these dodgy ties in Cups.

Worse match that Zlatan has played for us. Tonight he had lots of flicks not all came off and his shooting was really off. But the worse thing is that he slowed the momentum of the attack whenever he got the ball. Pogba was guilty of that in the first half but he got better in the second.

Zlatan's knock could be a blessing in disguise if it leads to a run for Rashford at number 9.

For the weekend, it's got to be Herrera and Carrick in central midfield. Rashford got to play at the front with lingard and Young on the flanks.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Where does that leave Mkhi?

8. Christiansmith

I would keep Mikhi on the bench after his exertions tonight. But I wouldn't be surprised if Fellaini started at the expense of Carrick. The likes of Carrick Mikhi Valencia Shaw Lingard would be rested after such a long match. I just hope he doesn't rest Rashford. If he does that, we are ****ed. He won't rest Pogba.

So I would think it could be something like this:

De gea
    Fosu-Mensa bailly Blind Darmian
    Herrera Pogba Fellaini Young
    Martial
    Rashford

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Could well be the case but if Zlatan is out for the rest of the season it then leaves us short. He had an off night yesterday, ordinarily he would bury one of those chances and is a good option up front in our remaining games. Bottom line is Rashford also misses a load of chances, as do Pogba and Mhki, so he alone can't really be relied on to see out the season and score the goals we need.

Be nice to think that they will all suddenly start converting chances but I don't really expect that.

10. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

If Zlatan is out and Rashford plays centrally up front I suspect he will bang a few in. Personally I think he is a lone striker, once he has the ball at his feet he only has one thing on his mind

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Definitely agree there, I would see Rashford as our future centre forward. So much so that I hope we don't target someone like Lukaku or Mbappe and instead just go for a replacement for Rooney. Griezmann being the obvious choice.

Christiansmith and Style like this.
  12. Christiansmith

I think for all Zlatan's great scoring record with us the feeling persists that as a team United should have scored many more goals and many of those draws should have been wins. I don't think any objective observer could disagree. It is fact that United has the lowest goal scoring record for the top 7 or 8. Many teams have too many draws because their defences leak but our problem has been at the top. If we had any decent front line comparable to the Ferguson era we would be up there with Chelsea and Spurs.

Zlatan's record for us despite all the pundits misgivings at the start of the season was caused by JM's playing him almost every second of every match and the team channelling all the chances towards him.

The last few matches showed that maybe JM should look at using Rashford and another top striker in addition to Zlatan who I agree has still a role to play.

13. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

We you are through - but at what cost?

Have read that Zlatan's injury is similar to Kurt Zouma's and he was out for a year - could be career ending unfortunately.

Rojo's injury seemed really innocuous to me - doesn't he wear shin guards? Either way Mouriniho has said he will rush Smalling and Jones back http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39661512

14. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

What's it like down there, Rufflad? <whistle>

15. Red Hadron Collider

And us <whistle>

16. Christiansmith

Celta De Vigo are the United 's semi opponents! And away in the first leg

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Personally I was pleased with the last 2 games. We're creating real chances. The passing and pace in our play is much better. It shows progress. As long as we are creating, then the finishing will come. <ok> Much harder to develop the finishing if the clear cut chances are few and far between, as in the past.

Celta Vigo are decent away from home and I think they will score at OT. Having said that, they're a midtable la liga side and we really should be getting to the final. I just think it will be unlikely this tie will be won with low scoring games.

18. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I know nothing about them or their players aside from the injured Giuseppe Rossi and Liverpool reject Iago Aspas.

Anything to worry about? - seems like a game for you to lose rather then one for them to win.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Looks nice and temporary!

20. Red Hadron Collider

Let's hope that bites you hard on the arse <laugh>