1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Hello all and welcome to a special match day thread by Saintsfcfan and @fatletiss . I won't lie the excitement now I have got tickets has got too much for me and I just had to get this thread out there! Fatletiss will add extra details when he is able to!

Saints will compete to win only their second piece of major silverware since the famous 1976 FA Cup triumph against Manchester United. This will be the second visit to the New Wembley Stadium , Saints lifting the JPT in 2010 with a thumping 4-1 win over Carlisle United. Lambert, Lallana, Waigo and Antonio were the scorers on a memorable occasion that banished the memories or the previous years where the only way had been down. A milestone in the revival of this great club.

So the road to the final:
    Saints 2-0 Crystal Palace - A Charlie Austin penalty and first senior goal for Jake Hesketh set Saints on their way in the march to the arch.

Saints 1-0 Sunderland - A dull evening was lifted by Sofiane Boufal scoring his first goal for the club with a sensational curled effort.

Arsenal 0-2 Saints - An amazing performance by Saints saw them blow away a mixed Arsenal 11. Jordy Clasie and Ryan Bertrand gave Saints a 2-0 lead at half-time which really should have been increased to 4/5-0.

Saints 1-0 Liverpool - With performances poor and confidence at a low, Nathan Redmond scored to give the Saints a 1-0 lead in the tie. Should have been 3/4-0.

Liverpool 0-1 Saints - Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnngggggg!!!!!!!!

The Final:
    Saints go into the game on the back of a moral-boosting 4-0 at Sunderland to raise confidence ahead of a two week before the final. Two goals was new sensational Manolo Gabbiadini, an own goal and a strike from Shane Long to wrap up the game gave Saints just their second league win since 18th December.
    In terms of injuries, Saints will most likely be without our lord and saviour Virgil Van Dijk, Charlie Austin, Alex McCarthy and Jeremy Pied. Sofiane Boufal is likely to be fit for the final.

Manchester United are on a very good run and have a knack of winning games they don't play fantastically in. They are the favourites for the cup and will no doubt be the only team the media focus on. For this reason, I'm going to keep the United perspective to just these few lines. This is all about Saints. We are going to win this!

My line-up:
    Forster
    Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand
    JWP Romeu Davis
    Redmond Gabbiadini Tadic

Subs: Hassen, McQueen, Gardos, PEH, Clasie, Boufal, Long.

Prediction: We are the underdogs. We love being the underdogs! I will go for a Saints win!
    2-1! (Gabbiadini and Tadic, Zlatan)

A note to finish on for me. For those who are going, have a fantastic day, enjoy yourselves, do us proud, sing your hearts out and roar the boys on to victory. For those who can't make it for whatever reason, we will feel your support, we know you'll be there in spirit.

Come on you reds! Que Sera Sera!

Let's do this!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

1-0 Saints. JWP free kick.

In exactly 2 weeks I'll be seeing Virgil and Davis hold aloft the trophy...

UP THE ****ING SAINTS!!!

saintsfcfan likes this.
  3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Not even read it yet. But I 'liked' it. WE WRE GOING TO WEMBLEY!!!!!!

..i'll read it now :)

EDIT: Read it. Now I'm stoked, pumped and excited. OMG we are going to Wembley the same season I saw us play in the San Siro. #LivingTheDream

Libby and saintsfcfan like this.
  4. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

2-1 Saints, Ibrawhatever will score early, they'll arrogantly think they've already won it and Saints will score in the 83rd and 89th minutes. Cedric and Boufal to score as they impressed me so much when I saw them at the Liberty. I'll be happy with TLL's scenario as well :D

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I was thinking that earlier. San Siro and Wembley Cup final in same season... unbelievable really.

Now 90 minutes away from the best season of my life...

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Gabbiadini to score in the 7th minute, and Saints to hang for 83 minutes, plus 7 minutes stoppage time.

By which point I will have been carried out on a stretcher with my heart bouncing around inside my chest like a squash ball...

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  7. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I'm going to sabotage Man Utd's team food by spiking it with LSD. I predict 45 nil to Saints and a tremendously entertaining game where Ibrawhateverthefuckhisameis is busy playing twister with an imaginary octopus in the centre circle, Pogba thinks he has become made of glass and is just staring at things through his now transparent hands and De Gea becomes scared of the ball.

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'm still banking on French air traffic control strike.

9. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

That would never happen, the French never go on strike :emoticon-0102-bigsm.

10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

It's occasions such as this which reiterate just incredible how football is.

A group of people that have nothing to do with each other all together for 90 minutes (plus extra time?) in the hope of victory.

More passion than I am yet to witness anywhere else on the planet.

I love football and I love Southampton!

11. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Ffs <laugh><laugh><laugh>

12. saintsfcfan

1123200 Seconds to go

13. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Not any more.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I favour a sniper who shoots the turf just in front of their feet if they cross the half way line towards our goal. Make my day, Pogba.

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Just think this time in two weeks we'll all be drunk celebrating our first major trophy in over 40 years [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Or we'll just be drunk. :(

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  17. saintsfcfan

At least both scenarios involve holding a cup...

18. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

A million curses on that fellow Abroomforawitch.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I won't :cool:

Libby likes this.
  20. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Do we have any Fifth Columnists/Agent Provocateurs or Quislings in/near Blackburn or St Etienne? Bung 'em a few quid/ Euros to go in over the top of whatever players Man Utd put out in their three games between now and 26/2, and steal Mourinho's mirror (the magic one, that continually tells him he is the fairest of them all) then he'll be so upset that he won't be able to manage the mercenaries left over, and Saints will only need to show up to get the cup. (Well, it's just as feasible as getting enough LSD to spike their entire team) :emoticon-0100-smile

Even arranging a strike of all trains from the Greater Manchester area won't affect their audience (I can't bring myself to say that they have fans, let alone supporters), as most of them live within a Boris bike ride of Wembley.:grin: