1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester Utd v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Feb 8, 2017.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    Manchester United v
    Watford

Date: Saturday 11th February 2017
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Kick Off: 1500 GMT

Manchester United absolutely bossed the game against Leicester City at the weekend, and they did it without the help of their captain Wayne Rooney, who was ruled out with illness.
    However he has been training with the rest of the team, but might still have to settle for a place on the bench.

Have Watford unearthed a new gem?
    The French attacker M'Baye Babacar Niang who is only 22 years old was born in Meulan-en-Yvelines. As a 16 year old he made his professional debut for Caen before being bought by Milan. Despite interest from Manchester City and Spurs, Watford managed to sign him, and against Burnley he made quite an impression with a goal and set up Deeney for another.

Walter Mazzarri will check on the fitness of Miguel Britos and Valon Behrami ahead the trip to Old Trafford, where he is seeking a 90-minute performance from his team.

Both have missed training days this week and the medical staff will assess them today to see if they will be fit to play against the Red Devils or if they will join Nordin Amrabat (ankle), Camilo Zuniga (fever), Costel Pantilimon (ankle) and Christian Kabasele (calf) on the sidelines.

CURRENT FORM

Man Utd last 6 WDWLDD Watford last 6 WWLDDW

Watford's game at Manchester United this weekend will be officiated by Bobby Madley.

The referee caused controversy at Vicarage Road this season, angering head coach Walter Mazzarri, after his performance during the Hornets' home defeat to Stoke City which included sending off Miguel Britos.

Madley also took charge of Watford's 1-0 defeat at Sunderland in December.

The referee has sent off three players this season including one in last weekend's game between Southend and Scunthorpe.

:emoticon-0100-smileWHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD-ENJOY THE GAME:emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    andytoprankin likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

3. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Tx OFH. Think we shouldn't get carried away. The new guy shone but against 10 men. And we shouldn't put too bigger burden on his shoulders.

But after 6 points and rele looking a much less concern (although still could happen) I'd hope some of the team start to offer better performances: accurate snappier passing, greater energy and better communication. And that TC, in whom I have great faith, will further impress with his experience and leadership skills.

And then there is team selection. At last there seems some real options for WM. However I expect few changes.

Of course to get something from this game will be a big bonus but we will need lots of Canary Dave's luck

4. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Could Kabasele be back? Perhaps on the bench?

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks OFH. <magic>

This is one of those pray for the best, expect the worse games. :emoticon-0112-wonde

Man Utd havenĀ“t lost in 10 in the league. However, the last two wins give us hope. :emoticon-0165-muscl

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

A taster...

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  7. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yorkie is going.... snow willing COYH!

Hornette_TID likes this.
  8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Yorkie is this good or bad news:emoticon-0105-wink: What has your recent form been like when turning up: good or bad?

But I reckon from the forecast you'll be ok but at a max of 3/4C I'd take a hip flask. Enjoy <cheers>

9. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

mmm.... not so good this season... I am due a win ;) ... and not with mlle yorkie... so should make it more lucky!

hip flask? do you mean new hip? ;)

10. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Great news. Lawro has us as a 2-0 loss. Should be an easy 1-3 win for us :emoticon-0125-mmm:

Kabasele a possible, too early for Amrabat. - quote bbc

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"They are very difficult," Mourinho said of Walter Mazzarri's side. "They are very defensive but there are teams that are very defensive but not very well organised. That's not Watford's case.

"Walter is a very good coach, the team is well organised and then they have the capacity being dangerous on the counter-attack and at set-pieces with a very physical team.

"Many players played already in big teams. They have the know-how, they have the experience.

"Many players are coming from Italian football, important clubs - Napoli, Milan, Udinese - with great knowledge of high competition, so the team is very experienced, so I am waiting for a difficult match."

12. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well we might have been organised at Arsenal but not sure generally you can say that about us in defence!

Last season we played very well and were unlucky to lose.

Hopefully have more luck this time.

13. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

OFH is he trying to stop his team getting complacent, building a defence if he has to explain a defeat to his board, being honest, and/or being nice?

There is some truth in what he says but that is not what we saw earlier in the year. The bad news for us I think is that he desperately needs points. Can see all those above Man U getting 3 points this weekend except the loser of Liverpool vs Spurs . And Man U's GD is not too good so even a point for them would be bad news.

But hopefully that puts a little more pressure on them.

I'm beginning deep down to feel a small growth of optimism forming deep within. I need Bolton's Boots to come along and crush that with a dose of his realism :cheesy:

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am not sure we can ever be certain what he is thinking. I imagine that Walter will be trying to gee up the team into believing we can win.

15. Bolton's Boots

Well bad luck - I have the following feelings in my water...

The battle of the Hair Buns will be won by Prodl;
    Success will lead us to it by scoring twice;
    Deeney will be Deeney and continue his recent scoring form;
    And Cleverley will boss the midfield.

And no, I haven't been <ale>

16. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

No, not drinking. Just had your account hacked, that's all. :D

17. Bolton's Boots

I keep telling Paul Merson to stop it...

18. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

When was the last time we won 3 on the trot with 2 away from home ? in the EPL

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

It became a run of four. Nov/Dec 2015. Villa and Sunderland away, with Norwich at home betwixt the two. Followed by our humbling of the Reds (been reading 'Ivanhoe' so am writing a little prosaically, good Sir Knight ;))

canary-dave likes this.
  20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i hope we stick with 4-4-2! We have far more chance if we do...but obviously i'm going for a 1-3 which for some reason i haven't put on any prediction league ;)....i'm going for a 1-2 on those coz big games make me cagey. Amazingly we are 13/1 on bet365 for a win, get your bets on folks ;).

COYH!!!

And thanks as always M Frenchie, fab thread again :)