1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I prefer books....luckily I could use a friend's Kindle before I might have bought one. Doesn't have the same feel....books make me happy....and now I have rediscovered the library. Use it or lose it.

fatletiss likes this.
  2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I like Baldacci too. What's this one called?

3. fatletiss

I need to hold a book. I do fancy trying audio books though.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

So do I. Books never need recharging. Books never go wrong. OK, you can get them wet if you read them while in the bath [I shower, so this is from a historical perspective], but they won't stop working there afterwards. And when you finally nod off while reading them in bed they are so designed to caress your cheeks as they land on your face, rather than smacking you on the nose. OK, you tend to get 'one book' only in 'a book' [hence the phrase], not 200 or more. But then, how many can you read at the same time anyway.? Plus books are carbon neutral. You can't say that about a Kindle. And how many books can you buy for the price of one Kindle.? Books are good things. Kindles are ok, but really they're something that aren't quite good enough to be a half decent tablet computer.

See. I'm not always on the side of technology. ;)

5. TheSecondStain

To be fair, I also love Audio books and BBC plays and readings, But you don't need a Kindle for those. The average smartphone and headphones copes with them superbly. And if you listen overnight, the phone can recharge while it's telling you a story. Not bad. :)

6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

The Fix - Amos Decker series book 3. I've read/listened to all his books. I got hooked on 'The Camel Club'

San Tejón likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep I use my phone for the audiobooks...and my Echo too. I just love the way I can read something then put it down and listen to it if I am cooking or something. Love podcasts too. Actually, quite hooked on them ;)

8. TheSecondStain

I must admit that I have two Samsung S2s these days. One, I was given, non working which I fixed at the exorbitant price of £6.99 in parts, I use purely as a media player, duolingo teacher, and internet browser for use just before I nod off. My other S2 [remember it sank into a bucket of old engine oil for 3 hours a month ago] now shares its duties in the extended phone department although it is the one which still carries the Sim card and external SD card. But there's bags of audio file space on the internal storage of an S2, so the second one copes very nicely ta. Between them I have enough audiobooks, music and movies to satisfy several holidays. So both of those AND A BOOK ;) are more than enough to keep me entertained.

9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I think I have all of Baldacci's.
    Amos Decker, Camel Club, King and Maxwell, Will Robie, John Puller and a few stand alone books.
    Have you tried Russell Blake, namely the Assassin series, The Day After Never trilogy (that became four books) and Jet? I have 36 by him and have pretty much enjoyed all of them.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I am a committed Kindlophile, I have more books stored on my Fire than I could possibly fit inside my housein paper form. The beauty of a Kindle over paper books is that if you finish one of a series at, say, 10:30 at night and want to start the next one straight away, you just hook up to the WiFi and buy it. 5 seconds later it's downloaded and away you go. Try finding a bookshop or library open at that time of night in rural Somerset!

You can also get a free Kindle app for your tablet or phone and synchronise between all your devices, so that whichever one is handy, the book is on the page you left off reading.

There is an awful lot of free literature available in Kindle format, essentially anything which is in public domain after the author has been deceased for 50(?) years. So book devourers like me can indulge their habit without breaking the bank!

San Tejón and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

^^^^^This.

This is how I justify my Kindle and my tablet. My Kindle Voyage is my 'go to' reader, the e-ink is like paper, but every device I own means I can grab a quick read of a book, wherever I am. As Chilc says, you can also get a book whenever you want without leaving your bed :)

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

'Amazoned' (the book way of googling), and downloaded the first one...from maybe a slightly dubious source, but if I like it I will buy them :)

For some reason I also got hooked on the 'Clifton Chronicles' by Jeffrey Archer. 7 books. Absolutely gripping. Loved them all and actually upset at the end of the 7th book, when it was all over.

13. fatletiss

Camel club were amazing.

14. fatletiss

Ok, if you like a series, try Kathy Reichs.

15. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Happy Days....that's a blast from the past. We'd be suspicious of a bloke hanging around with High School kids now....more innocent times.

17. fatletiss

18. thereisonlyoneno7

Downloaded book 1 from a 'place'. If I like it i'll buy the rest from Amazon :)

fatletiss likes this.
  19. fatletiss

You may need to bear with the acronyms at the start, but I really enjoyed the book series. I'm a few behind on them now.

20. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Love, absolutely love, my Kindle. I resisted for years arguing that paper has a feel and smell that I love, that books never run out of power, etc, then Mrs Onionman bought me one anyway and I fell in love.

I have never, not once, run out of power. Why would I, given that I possess a brain? You'd have to be deluded to do so.

I currently carry around 500 books with me pretty much everywhere I go. The Kindle fits into my jacket pocket perfectly so I tend to have it with me. Project Gutenberg offers 54,500 out of copyright books (you know, rubbish like Julius Caesar, A Study in Scarlet and Frankenstein).

The only thing I don't like is that the backlight is too much towards the blue end of the spectrum so if I wake and read in the night, I feared it might be a bit "wakey". I have, however, gone for years without too much trouble by having the backlight very low indeed. Either way, it's better than switching on a bedside light and invoking the ire of the current Mrs Onionman.

Basically, everything I thought would be a problem isn't and I love having a library in my pocket.

Vin

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    thereisonlyoneno7 and San Tejón like this.