1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

A bit before my time that one. :)

EDIT: I don't remember it anyway.

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Just watched episode 2 of American Gods several weeks after watching the first episode and it's still just incredibly random. I have no idea what's going on. I think I'll give it one more episode

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch "Three Girls" on the BBC couple of weeks back? It's a true life drama based on the child abuse scandal in Rochdale a few years ago, late 2000s.

It is very, very difficult to watch. I've watched two of the three episodes. It's tough. Very tough. I am a father of a 14 year old girl, turning 15 in two weeks time. Here's my question to any parent who watched this series: would you show these programmes to your daughter/son? I'm inclined to sit and watch it with both kids. Is this right or too tough on them?

Apologies if people think this topic was too sensitive.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I watched it, utterly compelling and horrifying. The third episode, when the hordes of defence barristers are trying to break the girls' evidence down on the video link in court, is almost as difficult to watch as the actual abuse scenes. But if my children were in that age range I think I probably would watch it with them, and try and talk about the issues afterwards. The central figure, Holly Winshaw, is actually an amazing role model for a teenage girl in the way she turns her life around after the mess she finds herself in.

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  5. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

The real worry is that we haven't got much of an Air Force left, if things kicked off we would be dragging aircraft out of Museums and getting them airworthy!

6. fatletiss

I've just watched the third episode. I really struggled to watch this program. I am unsure on watching it with the kids, but my wife says that is probably because I saw it from a father's perspective. I think we will watch it with them and like you said, talk it though afterwards with them.

I agree on Holly Winshaw. I actually broke down a bit watching the scene with her father telling her how strong she'd been after the court case. It wasn't the first time whilst watching this either.

I was then left aghast and angry at what happened to Sara, the Health and Sex Education lady at a later date. I won't put a spoiler for people who haven't seen it and it is only mentioned in the post program epilogue before the credits, but my goodness I was fuming. Poor lady. I'd like to find her and thank her for what she did. So much in our civil systems is full of wastage, mis-management and self preservation, that we never get close to decent efficiency. We end up losing the really good people.

This really touched me and has made me very angry.

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Sara Rowbotham was and still is a hero to the people of Rochdale. She's currently on Rochdale Borough Council and is Chair of the Health, Schools and Care Overview & Scrutiny Committees, so she is still in a position to do a lot of good. I agree, though, the way she was treated by her bosses was appalling, and typical of the way whistleblowers are punished for telling the truth. The police investigation let those girls down very badly for years and years, and Sara was basically sacked for pointing that out.

fatletiss likes this.
  8. fatletiss

Yes, I've just spent some time reading up on her. She's also just appeared in a TV "First Date" show apparently.

I think the social services, the police and her senior management all let her down badly.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Have greatest sympathy for people caught up in the airport chaos this weekend (especially as I am flying out in a couple of weeks), but why do people travel on Bank Holidays. I have never gone anywhere on a BH for nearly 40 years as I noticed that, as well as being super busy, things always go wrong on those weekends...usually instigated by the French (though not this time). Just stay at home....saves so much hassle.

10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I'm sure many on here have accounts with Amazon.
    To save yourself a potential headache, change the payment setting away from a "saved card" (if possible) and enter your card details with each purchase.
    Reason for making this suggestion is finding out, yesterday, that some toe rag had hacked into my account and placed four separate orders for those new spinner gadgets, to the value of almost £120.

Fortunately, because of the emails Amazon send confirming purchases, I was able that pick up on this yesterday afternoon.
    The toe rag further p****d me off by changing the email address, attached to the account, locking me out of it.

Two phone calls later, one to my credit card provider to report the fraud and to cancel the card, and another to Amazon to report the hacking, brought my BP back to a sensible level.
    I now have to wait for a response from Amazon, to tell me what my next step should be.

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Use Paypal, if it's offered

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Also, on all amazon saved cards, the authorisation token is saved. What this means is that you don't need to re-input the CVV on each purchase until the card runs out. This could be 3 years away. Once your amazon account is hacked, purchases can be made by just clicking the card if you get what I mean.

13. thereisonlyoneno7

Bullet dodged for me. Came back Friday night from Greece on BA into terminal 5...almost stayed an extra day...

14. TheSecondStain

Last time I went to Greece I spent the last day, amongst other things, thinking of how I could stay for the rest of the summer. :)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. thereisonlyoneno7

I did that 21 years ago...spent 5 months in Naxos ;)

TheSecondStain likes this.
  16. fatletiss

All done. Final presentation day done for the boys team. It's all over. I'm now just a watching parent. 10 seasons

:(

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    davecg69 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  17. thereisonlyoneno7

Do you get a Testimonial?

18. fatletiss

I get to watch games from the other touchline :)

19. TheSecondStain

And here we go again in the good ol' USA. A man shoots 8 people in 3 separate incidents after a domestic argument involving the wife and children he was separated from. A police officer arrived when alerted. It was then that the man first opened fire and killed the officer. While detained he spoke to a local newspaper saying, "I can't live after what I done."

Need the argument against guns be laid out yet again, or is it pointless?

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We all know it is better and safer to live in a society with fewer guns as even the criminals in Britain (outside city gangs) are less likely to carry one, but the genie is out of the bottle in America. What can they do? The gun lobby is massive and they have a society based on an individual's right to bear arms which stems from a constitution and amendments designed for a new country....which was mainly wilderness peopled by those who had overthrown their Government (ie Britain). This is all in their DNA now. The USA is also made up of States....so it is virtually a confederacy rather than one country.

The US can be a warning to us and others, but is beyond changing itself.

It’s Only A Game likes this.