1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Max Allegri has a 'verbal' agreement to replace Wenger

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Mar 5, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

According to media reports, Arsenal have been in negotiation with Allegri since the end of last year and have a 'verbal' agreement in place with him to take over from Wenger, should he leave this summer.

Allegri is a winner and has won Siere A three times including the double over the last few years. He's also a good tactician and versatile with his formations, both things that Wenger is too rigid with. His style of play is a bit slower and more possession based, but I think he would make a good fit at Arsenal.

There would be several players that might get the chop though. Ramsey, Iwobi, Coquelin, Walcott ? And Allegri would want to bring in several of his own players no doubt.

Thoughts ?

2. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I have said this for many years now, Wenger will not leave.. So no use in dreaming about his successor. He has been reportedly offered a 2yr extension, he dare not take it now whilst the top4 trophy is in jeopardy. Once that is assured, he will sign a new contract. Mr Wenger is delusional, like the Donald, he has delusions of making Arsenal great again, this will not happen under his tenure. He keeps going on about offers outside Arsenal... that is really laughable.

I don't think our players are the problem, Wenger is toxic and a good Manager will bring out the best from those players. Chelsea flirted with relegation last season, not much change with the playing squad - all down to Conte. AW unfortunately is past his sell by date, sadly he refuses to acknowledge that, similar to some legend at Nottingham Forest.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>
    I look forward to seeing Arsenal fans all wearing MAGA hats. Make Arsenal Great Again.

4. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

post of the day

5. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hope it's true.

Allegri has done a stellar job at Juve soo far. His teams also play decent attacking football.

Could be a quality replacement.

Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.
  6. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

One of the best tactical managers out there, whenever I watched Juve, he always manages to change a game with his subs, yes he has an excellent squad, but this guy is so sharp tactically, just like many other great Italian managers.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  7. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Allegri doesn't seem like the type of manager we (the board) would go for. I hope Im wrong.

8. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

To be fair, Wenger has said that getting top 4 is a great achievement, like winning a trophy. I don't think he wants to bust his gut to win the title or making Arsenal great again. For him, once he has got CL his job is done. He has been in this mode for ten years at least.

That is why I think Arsenal needs a change of manager.

9. TheBear

In what way?

1. He's still not a huge name. Like a Mourinho, Pep etc..
    2. His teams play attacking football.

He seems a genuine possibility to me.

10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I honestly think we will go for an even bigger unknown or former player. Something tells me the board would be reluctant to work with a manager that makes demands...so they will pick someone who can be a good little subordinate...

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

If they are gonna do that they may as well keep Arsene

12. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

They would be fools to do that. They still need a half decent manager to crack top 4 and some unknown would jeopardise their precious CL windfall.

13. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

The board would be more than happy for Wenger to carry on, after all he delivers them top four and when **** goes wrong he takes all the stick as well, it's all in Wenger's hand, if he wants to stay another two years, as reported a few months back, there is a two year contract on the table from our gutless board.

If we are to have a new manager, then Wenger himself must walk away.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. TheBear

It's an absolute joke that there's no plan in place.

Wenger gets all the blame these days but its clear to me the biggest problems may lie within the Club and Arsenal board.
    There's no pressure on Wenger to win trophies - he doesnt appear to have to achieve anything to keep his job or get a pay rise.

Arsenal should be approaching Allegri/Simeone etc.. and looking at life post Wenger but it seems they are fine with waiting.

Gazidis has been a disaster at Arsenal. Since David Deans departure in 2007 we have not won a league trophy and our work in the transfer market has been inconsistent at best.

15. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

Arsenal would'nt also be this big if it wasn't for him IMO.

16. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

That is true - but the time to move it on is soon, if not now

17. lazarus20000

Agree with you and Sanj, the management seems to escape all the blame whereas Wenger takes their share as well as the players. Rather than constantly saying Wenger out, it's time we focus on Kroenke and Gazidis out!

TheBear likes this.
  18. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I've said for ages I think there are issues above Wenger at the club, believe I have made a thread or two saying as much in the last few seasons.

Wenger loves the club, will happily take the blame for players performances and club decisions and always works to keep Arsenal at the top. In recent years, after some time in the wilderness, we have flirted with the very top again but not got there. If the club put more pressure on Wenger to push on and pressed hard for big transfer targets we should be achieving more.

I think the board are happy to make top four each year for the financial implications and have the odd good run in the league or a cup to keep the fans from revolting. Wenger is able to deliver this season on season without the board having to show real ambition, so they don't. If we had a manager who was less consistent they would have been forced to act, but as it is they are comfortable with inaction. If they really wanted the club to press on then we would have seen more in the last couple of seasons.

Dein is also a big miss, since his departure there doesn't seem to be anyone who can work with Wenger on transfers, get things done and have an influence on the main man.

TheBear and lazarus20000 like this.
  19. lazarus20000

We've entered the comfort zone and the management or shareholders are the happiest with this deal. Winning trophies is merely a bonus and not a target.

20. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Most importantly... we're now out of the running of all the major trophies which means we'll start playing good football so time to load up the fantasy football teams with your Arsenal players people!

lazarus20000 and TheBear like this.