1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Maximum v Minimum Chairboys v Daggers 22nd August

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

You are right. I was standing with Guy Wanderer and we were saying that as the minutes ticked by that it was going to be "one of those games".
    In fairness to Dagenham, they played well and executed their plan against us. Strangely we seemed to move from our successful 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 and this didn't do us any favours in this game. However, the early onslaught of games was harsh on such a small squad and we have had a different centre back partnership each time in the last 4 games.
    Good cameo from Banton I thought. He got some good balls in to the box and had a very close long range effort. Plus I actually saw him charging back when he lost the ball. Maybe he is getting the work ethic thing - we shall see!

I think we will be in the top half this season, but again won't have quite enough to see it through. However, I think as each year goes by we will make slow progress with the squad quality and rely less and less on loanees. I think our squad this this year is slightly stronger, but lacking a little of the quality that we brought in with loans. Let's not forget that a number of the impactful players from last season - Onyedimna, Mawson, Saunders, Yennaris etc were not ours in the first place and perhaps by next season we will be in an even better position with our base squad. I believe that is essential to have any chance of staying up in League 1 and therefore as much as we would all dearly love to get that promotion spot, it could make the following season very sour if we spend it in the relegation zone. As much to say that it could financially do the club more harm than good with dropping attendances and all the apathy surrounding games.
    Saying that, I am sure 99% of supporters would still snap your hand off for a league 1 place

2. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate with our low budget and small squad to get into the play offs is a major achievement and I would be happy with that again this season I must be in the 1% that is not sure if we are ready for league 1 maybe if we could increase home attendances by 1000 over last seasons average we would be in a position financially to get promoted.
    As for Saturdays game the 30C heat must have played a part as well as the long journey back on Wednesday morning the lad from Villa looked off the pace and lost his McClure for their goal which must have dented his confidence. The seasons just two weeks old and we have played 5 games already but with our exit from the league cup the squad will have a full weeks training before next Saturdays trip to Crawley.

3. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Remember last year we lost at home to Tranmere in August

4. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Yes and drew at home 1-1 to the Daggers with a second half equaliser