1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mazzarri's future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Jan 29, 2017.

?

What should happen to Mazzarri

Poll closed Feb 2, 2017.
  1. Go now

36.8%
  2. Give him till Burnley at least

21.1%
  3. Give him a month

5.3%
  4. Give him till end of season then decide

36.8%
  1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Maybe all lost in translation?!

Leo likes this.
  2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

3. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I must admit, I honestly don't know which way to go with him at the moment. The main problem is, who would the Pozzos replace him with (not who would we want ourselves). So I'd reluctantly give him a little more time - but Burnley is becoming a must-win game now.

You do wonder what they would do if Mazzarri wasn't their 'mate'

4. bragantino

bragantino Active Member

What would be interesting is to see what the Pozzos do should they keep Walter and then we get relegated. Will he be around for 2017-18 and how will we ever get promoted at the first attempt with morale as low as it probably will be? Even with parachute payments we are setting up for a disaster.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think most of us think that if the Pozzos had someone in hand they would have acted already. I guess waiting till after the Burnley game is not going to make a lot of difference. Although - if we were to beat them they would be below us,if we don't ........... They have the worst away record in the division so to be honest a victory over them is as predictable as a defeat to Arsenal. However we achieve it we have to get 3 points from the next two games before heading into matches against Man U and West Ham.

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I darent go there... if we go down it will be due to him.. .as we were 7th? at one point.

Mind oyu we have had injuries etc...

Need to sort out the attacking options and srategies TODAY

7. HaslemereKev

In contrast, what Monk said after the Leeds defeat;

@GarryMonk
    Not the performance or result we wanted. I take full responsibility. Apologies to our travelling fans. Looking to make amends on Wed. #MOT

8. yorkshirehornet

Yes..... quite right...

9. Ethelhorn

Ethelhorn Active Member

Not one for wanting managers out mid season but, as others have mentioned we're probably too deep into the transfer window to consider a change and who would come anyway ? even if that is the case you would have to think Mazzari is nervous.

If it was me I'd have the whole team spending the next couple of training sessions doing passing drills, even my 10 year old was shouting at the TV every time we gave the ball away. Britos and Guedioura were the worst culprits but all were guilty to some extent, teams we play against recently are all doing the same thing sitting off and waiting for us to give them the ball. To be fair Wolves did a very similar thing to Liverpool !

10. yorkshirehornet

Yes rudimentory eh.... passing skills... and also no sense of a team unity there sadly....

11. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

It's not just passing drills they need imo, we give the ball away far too often in two ways. You rightly mention the opposition sitting back and waiting - but have you ever noticed what happens when the opposition press instead of sitting back? Our 'passing triangles' are far too small - our players are basically too close to each other, making it far too easy for one or two opposition players to press them, leading to hasty short passes that are easier to intercept. I tear my hair out and scream at the screen when I watch that - I've coached kids from 6 years-old up to 15 years-old in Australia & from the age of around 10 up always used progressively larger squares/triangles to teach passing and moving. It never took them long to pick up the idea and do it during games. It's really not rocket science.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I wonder whether anyone who is hesitating about getting rid of Mazzarri would change their mind if there was a replacement in the wings who they approved of? Are we keeping him just because there is nobody else or because we think he is any good.

Frankly I cannot see us getting back to the sort of form we had earlier in the season however many new players we have nor with players returning from injury. If our reserves can be made to look so poor by a third division team - despite having internationals and proven goal scorers at that level available then why do we think he is any more capable of remotivating the senior team?

If say somebody who is out of a job - like the Italian Roberto Mancini, with experience of English Premiership - could be tempted to Watford even for a 6 month contract would we really choose to say - no give Mazzarri more time?

For the money we will lose and the trouble we would have getting out of the Championship then if I were the Pozzos I would pay anything to get in a short term quality manager.

14. HaslemereKev

I'd argue, have we actually had any run on form?

We have only one 2 games in a row once (the West Ham and Man Utd games), and the best unbeaten run was the 4 games in October - and that includes a home draw v Bournemouth and away to an extremely poor Swansea, with an away win at Boro and home against Hull. Games that we should be picking up points from.

I honestly didn't buy into the injury crisis too much because most games we still put out a good first team that should have done better than they did - it just seemed to be lacking depth on the bench. You then have to question the injuries themselves. Impact injuries you can't really account for, but so many seem muscle pulls/strains, and for me that is down to training - whether it is being pushed too hard, or not warming up enough.

I'm not one to just sack Mazzarri and he probably should be given a bit more time... and is a case of who realistically can we bring who could turn it around while working the way the Pozzos do... but I do think questions need to be asked of him from above.

15. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I did hear a rumour a while back that Marc Wilmots had been seen hovering around the fringes. He is also well known to the Pozzo's, and, available. Although his record with getting the best out of the immense talent of the Belgian national team was not so good.

16. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From what I heard this morning from a 'source', WM is not communicating with the players, and some of them are very unsure about what they are supposed to be doing on the pitch. If they are not clear as individuals, how can there be a proper team plan. Just tinkering around with the formation is not a plan. I think we are going backwards with him.

17. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

18. colognehornet

Markthehorn likes this.
  19. colognehornet

20. colognehornet

Jürgen Klinsmann is also free Leo. He knows the Pozzo's (Oliver Bierhoff played for Udinese), he knows English football, speaks 5 languages well, but could he work with the Pozzo plan ? Or then again we could give WM time to turn it around. Woy Hodgson is also free !!