1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mazzarri's future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Jan 29, 2017.

?

What should happen to Mazzarri

Poll closed Feb 2, 2017.
  1. Go now

36.8%
  2. Give him till Burnley at least

21.1%
  3. Give him a month

5.3%
  4. Give him till end of season then decide

36.8%
  1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

2. Bolton's Boots

I'm free too - but it's not the thought of working with the Pozzo's that would stop me. It's the thought of having to put up with a large number of our so-called fans. The abuse that is hurled his way on various social media sites is something else. :(

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Does he read those? Can he read English do we know? What is a "so-called" fan? People who pay their money are entitled to a voice - I have never booed a player or manager but I do not condemn someone who does.

4. Bolton's Boots

If you had read my post properly you may have realised that whether or not he can or does read them is irrelevant. What would be relevant is that I can and do...

You think that the likes of Toby and I have irrelevant opinions for using the word 'scum' - so quite what you would make of the words used by many of those on Facebook or, to a lesser degree, Twitter is anyone's guess. And from the context of their postings, it's perfectly obvious that many are not actually at the game, therefore haven't actually paid any of their money...

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hey - this is a football subject. Let's leave Mr Angry to the politics eh? It is not all about you and Toby. I did read your post but as often happens it made me think and I followed on from there. Do you think he can read English - for me it seemed an interesting question. I doubt he does and certainly doubt he would care what an anonymous person on the web thinks. I suspect the Pozzos are all he cares about. On so-called fans I have often seen it use but never understood what it means.
    I do not participate on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media site for obvious reasons. Re "scum" I do not debate with people who refer to human beings as scum. It is general discrimination and not nice. But hey - I don't have to care and won't mention it again if you don't as I won't be a mod and don't need to read the political threads.

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Reckon he´ll go at end of season at best now...

7. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

I fear that may be too late Mex. To win you need to score goals. And you need attempts on target to get goals.

Make no mistake - we are in the relegation mire now.

8. Mexican Hornet

I fear the same but hold hope in that there will be 3 worse teams...

9. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

All depends on those 2 home games in the space of 4 days. A win and a draw and we should start to see the finishing line. Two points or less and things start to get tricky...

10. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

He is rubbish. He should go - and go now. The last 13 games only 10 points - even with the wins against Arsenal and Burnley that kept him in a job. That record is as good as Sunderland.

11. Mexican Hornet

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

we are in the mire now, dropping like a stone....

12. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that Jose Mourinho was saying that Pogba is having problems adapting from the Italian league to the premiership - but must be given time. How many players do we have who need time to adjust to the Premiership, under a manager who also 'needs time' to adjust. The principle of having a manager for the year to do a certain job ie. one to get us promoted, another to keep us up for the first season, was always going to go tits up sometime. So, we replace managers who at least have had a years experience (and could have learned from it) with complete newcomers - in this case one who had never played or managed outside of Italy before coming to Watford. Someone who had played for 11 clubs (only 2 of those for more than a year), and had managed 7 clubs in 13 years - all of those in Italy. Unfortunately we cannot ask the question 'should the Pozzo's go' ? Because of all they have done for us. The danger is that if Mazzari goes, who else is going to want to come to a club which has so little continuity, owned by owners who are too stubborn to admit that their plan has a flaw.

13. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

I know we are playing poor but we are 2 points off 10th for christ's sake!

14. Jennings60s

so that is 5 games away at the current rate. The Titanic was still afloat 10 minutes before it went under.
    We got rid of Quiche to improve. Odds are we will get less points and finish lower than last season - and are in danger of relegation which we never were last year. That is not fine by me. We have multi-millionaires owning this club - we are not poor little old Watford any more - and they must expect better.

15. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

<laugh> Do we like that <laugh>

But the truth is Quique was the one who improved and is demonstrating it at Espanol. There he operates with many less resources than we have and he is getting results above expectations. 2015/16 without Quique they ended up 13th on 43 points. This year they are 9th and have 40 points with 10 games to go. Well done Quique
    please log in to view this image

I personally see no future in firing managers every year. No matter how much one may appreciate the talents of the Pozzos and in particular Gino anyone with half a brain can see this strategy is not working. So either there is some external pressure to pursue this strategy, or they cannot find and recruit a good manager, or they just don't see it. (I doubt the last. Can't believe Gino is thick). Or have I missed another reason?

All very frustrating because this is not the Watford I know and love :emoticon-0106-cryin

16. Jennings60s

I think I agree with all of that kc. Firing managers annually is terrible but the conundrum is do you keep one that not only is not getting results but is serving awful football. Quiche has succeeded - but not in English football - perhaps it is harder here. If I had a crystal ball that told me next year we would finish 9th on 50 points and have a more stable, passing team with Maz I would want to keep him

17. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

From all our managers since SD. the only one who has actually improved the team's performance over a season was the Joker - he did, actually, succeed in English football. To this day I do not believe that the Pozzo's tried hard enough to reach a compromise with him. His face just didn't fit. So, the conclusion is that to work for the Pozzo's your face must fit, and you must be prepared to be a 'one season' manager. The Pozzo's managed Granada mostly with Spanish managers - why then a different policy with us ? Or do they have such a low regard for English managers and players ? The biggest evidence against the Pozzo system is the league position of Burnley - a club with lower resources than ours but with a great manager who was given time, and he was once ours.

kchorn likes this.
  18. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Ed I'm not so sure Quique failed. He did what was asked. He built a squad that still had many problems but was making progress. Some of those players have shown improvement but I do not put that down to WM. Yes end of season results were poor but was the only answer to fire the manager?

Quique at the end had a year of prem experience. So the Quique at the end was not the Quique that started. Nonetheless we decide we want better so we say thanks Quique and good luck. Perhaps we could have looked at the issues and addressed them building for the future?

The problem is we now choose a replacement who is like Quique at the start. How is that progress? I cannot see anything in WM's CV that is better than Quique's was at the end.

And eventually (if they haven't already done so) the Pozzos will choose someone who gets us relegated.

Of course there is always risk and there are no crystal balls (if there were we wouldn't get passionate about our beloved 'orns :emoticon-0111-blush).

I guess my issue is that when SD went to Burnley he had a long term plan and he said that Burnley bought into that. The results are obvious. To me Gino has no long term plan beyond treating managers like players. By cheap and hope a few become good and you can sell them on at a high price. That works with a squad of players. Can't see it working with a lone manager.

I'm getting depressed now. Where's the wine bottle <steam>

19. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Agree with most of it except obviously Quique was not fired he walked. He had a plan for himself which was to improve his credibility which he succeded in doing. Further more he was in a no lose situation in that if he defied the odds and guided Watford shall we say into a top six postion bigger clubs would have come knocking, by keeping us easily up he knew he would not be short of offers and that I believe is why his performance for us nose dived second half of season. One final point noting is that it is common in Europe for head coaches to last short term in their postions (Quique for example has not stayed at a club for more than two seasons.

The Pozzos will know if we stay up or not things have not been good enough this season and success or failure this season ( relegation) will be split by a fine line with the performances that we consistently are putting in with the tactics deployed. They want to take this club forward but this season staying up or not it has been a backward step on the field.

kchorn likes this.
  20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He will be gone before the EoS awards, but i fear we will have to suffer his incomprehensible incompetent 'football' til then.