1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McCarthy's first signing....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by King_of_Portman_Rd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

A bit like MM himself its not a 'wow' appointment but hopefully will add a sense of steady reliability to proceedings.

3. truth seeker

truth seeker Member

Perhaps Mick is thinking of putting Cresswell in a midfield role. and Youda playing left back. On Saturday the strategy worked well by playing Edwards midfield, instead of full back. The new man had a bad injury some time ago. but is supposed to be tough tackling, and speedy. He has mixed reviews by the Charlton fans. but mostly they seem to think he did not really endear himself to the championship.

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

seems a signing of making do with who we can get atm, I'd imagine this is just as cover. Doesn't strike me as someone who we may well see here for long as he's 27 and you wouldn't say he's had a great career.

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

<ok> I agree with that TS it seems a sensible strategy given that Cresswell is not a defender but he has speed and a good delivery at times and would be far better deployed as a left mid or winger. I think Martin's days are finally numbered (thank god) and Cressy would provide another option. I'm also hearing that Frimpong may be coming here on loan from Arsenal and he would rip the championship to pieces with his pace and power. Good days ahead....

6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

LMAO, had this bren Jewells signing Warky would have been all over it like a rash, calling him clueless etc but because its MM.........
    Personally i dont get it!

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Oh btw, Frimpong would be great but this has been/crocked LB, no ta!

8. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

Do agree. I cant see why he has gone all 'wow brilliant' at on the face of it a very everyday signing. I especially cant see the idea that Cresswell isnt a left back and will be pushed forward. A few weeks back the majority were moaning that Edwards was being played out of position yet here its fine for MM to push Cresswell out of position. At least with Edwards he has said he had played at RM & RB throughout his career yet Im not sure Cresswell ever has.

9. johnnywarksmoustache

Where did I say 'wow brilliant'?

10. johnnywarksmoustache

This guy can be deployed as cover for Cresswell at LB or as a left sided CB and he's here until January so I don't see any problem with this at all. He is not a loan signing so if he does well we can sign him for nothing so I cant see what there is to complain about!

11. itfcptc

I was going to say this but thought it would get into a slanging match again.

I just don't think we can take alot from this signing, he may turn out to be a decent player but to me it's MM working with what he's got available to him atm. I doubt if we were in a transfer window MM would have signed a player who played 62 games at Charlton over 6 years (that's just over 10 games a year) then got seriously injured was released by Charlton when they were in League 1 got taken on by Yeovil played half a game and then was released after 2 months and has been without a club for nearly a year!! Like the others have said JWM if this was PJs signing I doubt you would have said the same thing, infact i probably would've head butted my computer from the shock if you would!!

As for Cresswell, he is an attack minded defender who could probably do a decent job in midfield, but I certainly wouldn't say he's not a defender. I think people have been a little over critical of him this year although he certainly could do with some competition and probably guidance. From what I've seen of him I still think he looks decent enough at the back but hasn't bee helped out alot of the time by his team mates and he has actually put in some very very good crosses this year there's just been noone to get on the end of them because we don't have that kind of striker in the box. He reminds me a bit of Clapham probably best suited to a wing back so can play LB and LM always going to be a bit of a risk at the back due to his attacking tendancies but perhaps not got enough flair to be a winger. If we were to get a really good LB or Whight was to emerge I wouldn't mind seeing Cresswell pushed further up the pitch although we also have Carson who I'd eventually like to see in the team!!

12. ciderman

ciderman Member

Talking of transfers it looks like Wickham may be on his way to Sheffield Wednesday on loan.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

To put it simply with out the need for an essay I would much rather trust MM's judgement on a player rather more than the clueless idiot he replaced <ok> It has only taken him 2 games to realise that Edwards is a RM and not a RB and that we should be playing 4-4-2. Hardly rocket science only if you're Jewell!

14. itfcptc

So to put it simply if MM managed to persuade Drissa Diallo out of retirement to play for us then you would think it's a good signing? Can you not judge a signing on its merits rather than on who signed them?

15. johnnywarksmoustache

OK PTC it sounds like you have already judged this player even before he's kicked a ball! <doh>

16. itfcptc

Are you not judging him then, could've fooled me??? Again you trying to take the moral high ground and not answering the point!!!

I'm not saying this a bad signing (as it's low risk) but the guy has played a game and a half in about 2 years, he had his contract terminated by mutual consent by Yoevil last season after playing half a game and people are saying it looks like a good signing based on what?? How anyone can say this is a good signing when they have nothing really to base it on!!

He may turn out to be a good signing I don'y know but if we were in a transfer window I would imagine MM would not have gone for him. It's MM working with what is out there and thinks that perhaps this guy is worth a shot.

Again you never answer a point, are you not able to judge a player on his merits rather than who signed him?? Not a very logical person are you??

17. King_of_Portman_Rd

Forum Moderator

Drissa Diallo.. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. What a player he was, along with the fantastic George Santos - Funnily enough while I was at Uni I used to go to this one barber shop where the women had signed shirts and all sorts all over the wall. One being a George Santos shirt when he played for Sheff Utd and apparently she was best mates with him and he always had his hair cut there... But from what I remember he never had any hair...

Plus, she said (on numerous occasions) as I had just sat down in the chair "Well you weren't blessed with good hair where you?" needless to say I only went back because it was so disgustingly cheap

18. itfcptc

How the hell did Royle get us into the promotion spots with a defence of Diallo and Santos?? tbf I quite liked Santos, i loved that he had a bit of flair (not hair) and used to try backheels in the most inappropriate situations!! Diallo though, possibly one of the worst defenders ever to play at the club, anyone remember his throwins??

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

'You said this, oh no I didn't, yeah you did, why don't you blah blah blah'

Does every day have to be like this, it's like a ****in' primary school playground on here lately.

Don't know anything about this guy so won't pass any kind of judgement. It's obviously a low risk signing, a chance to look at him without big commitment. I said a long time ago that I felt Cressy would make a good winger and it could turn out that Mick converts him to one. It could also be that Youga is here only as back up and to provide competition for Aaron.

Welcome to Ipswich Kelly.

20. King_of_Portman_Rd

Forum Moderator

After a quick bit of googling I found out that no money ever exchanged hands for Drissa Diallo he was always signed on a free or had his contract cancelled.
    His throw ins were horrendous, I've been able to throw a ball better since I was four years old. He looked like he was about to turn himself inside out and throw it out of the ground at a 90 degree angle to where his body was pointing, very bizarre technique and from what I remember was never called up on a foul throw??