1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Memories of the Lane

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 28, 2017.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

lol this cracked me up.

Speaking of being late to the game. I'll never forget having the tickets for me and my mates for a United game, I thought my mate had them so didn't think about picking them up. Was sat in a pub with my mates before someone mentioned the tickets. They thought I was winding them up when I was saying I didn't have them and I thought another mate had bought these ones. I think they realised I wasn't joking when I pegged it outside to a black cab I'd just seen pull up nearby. Missed the first 20 odd minutes and Defoe's bicycle kick. We'd just walked up the steps in time to see Giggs curl in the equaliser at the far end. We lost 3-1 against 10 men and missed the best part of the match. After, I said "well at least we got to see Anderson score". Don't think I ever asked for the money back on the tickets that game :D

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was at that game. It was all going well until you turned up! <laugh>

3. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Dim memory of my first game age 4 standing in front of the main Stand on a stool that folded up ,home to PNE 1961 we won 5-0 and have supported Spurs through thick and thin ever since . Great memories include Benfica European cup semi at home , great memories of the double team Jimmy greaves goal against Newcastle when he strolled through from the half way line , Martin Chivers forming a great team up front with Alan Gilzean , later the cup teams of the 70's and 80's uafa cup night 1984 v Anderlecht . Taking my son to the lane for the first time and watching his face when the team came out, he is now a 4th generation Tottenham supporter and sadly my 2yr old grandson will not see the lane although he will soon have his picture taken outside with his dad and me . Just hope that the new place can live up to the lane on a cold night under floodlights . Got to stop now I've got something in my eye........
    COYS

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Sid was a Blitz kid !!?? Please, tell me you've got some photos to show us. :D

5. The RDBD

Did anyone ever play that effing game ?? :D
    Sure my cousins gave to it to me as a hand-me-down and I just went WTF and
    let it gather dust.

6. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

We couldn't be bothered to work it out, so we sort of improvised, made our own rules . A more complex ludo with nazi's .

BLITZ SCENE . Enough embarrassment for one day , l wasn't a camp queen like many , even that l knew B . George, Marilyn,
    Taffy Strange, Yog Michael (wham but a little later) Philip Stalon , and on the macho side Kemp brothers, Chris Sullivan .
    Ridiculously the Zoot suit look was also big of Blue Rhonda A la Turk and 1940s Communist Partizan look , favoured by Pride who had Sade as a backing signing . Strayed that way more . I am to be found in a few editions of the defunct FACE mag . The silliness of youth but one advantage with so many gingers you could have alot of crumpet. .

7. Sidney Fiddler

You wer
    You were lucky our coach turned up 5 mins late , everyone poured in accidently to the home end .
    Sorry to hear about your parents. I was very lucky, my family were full of love , solid , stable and supportive. All those values my wife and l bring to our little family world.

8. The RDBD

Sid, you are the last person I would have down as a Blitz kid. :)
    Actually 20 yrs later you would have loved what was called the "No Wave"
    (also Electroc***h - we don't say the "E" word :( ) scene. The music and
    clubs in London and Europe harked back to the Blitz.

9. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Forgot to add that if I could have any part of the lane apart from the Cockerel it would have to be a part of the wall surrounding the pitch with the hooped ironwork that went with the last stadium upgrade
    COYS

10. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

My best memories of WHL are Bruno v Bugner, and of course our two titles that we won there :)

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

After the day you've had I think you are entitled to a small crumb of comfort <whistle>

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    SpursDisciple likes this.
  12. The RDBD

Ah, the hoops.
    My window to the world of the furthest two thirds of the pitch when I was a kid. :)

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I remember the time Wenger rage quit a post-match interview at WHL. When was that again?

14. It was a moment of almost water bottle-throwing amusement!! <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'd have loved to have been there today. What a conclusive win, great atmosphere.

Feeling a little envious of those who were.

16. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

A new record. I understand 3% of this post <laugh>

17. Sidney Fiddler

I would say l was only on the margin as l was very young . I think the "the Beat Route" in Greek St , Soho was more my calling . The same faces but the electronic sound had been dropped for a gritty hard funk sound . .It was a very small scene maybe 500 people at most .
    2 years later it had grown 10 times to such places st the Mud and Wag club . I was know in NY.
    May l add it was a very small part of my life , but did inspire an inderpendance and doing your own thing . Country lad at heart but still loving
    Physodellic soul, indie guitar, Latin funk , 60s garage .. l am very much in the camp of real musicianship , there are exceptions like Bowie kraut years but electronic is a little souless to my tastes . My daughters both play harp ,piano and a little electric guitar. My wife the flute , some say we are the Von Trapps of Suffolk.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

My first visit to The Lane was August 1990, Lineker and Gascoigne led us out on the back of their exploits at Italia 90. If I am honest the match passed in a blur and these highlights don't actually match with my recollection of a totally dominant performance with Gazza the star of the show.

SpursDisciple and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The main things I remember about my first few visits to The Lane was my seat was always bang on the halfway line - so more often than not I had little to no idea who actually scored for us until I checked on Ceefax when I got home. Case in point, the time we came from a goal down to beat Coventry 3-1 in the 1995-6 season - with the exception of knowing Ruel Fox scored the third, I genuinely had no idea who the other scorers were.

I do, however, remember being sat in front of someone who had a real hatred of Jason Dozzell - and the bloke in front of him snapping after half an hour of this and chewing him out to a smattering of applause from those sat around him.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Speaking of memories, maybe @O.Spurcat can answer this, any idea as to whether season ticket holders will be allowed to collect their seats from WHL at any point?

I know that Spurs are giving bits of turf to those who renew memberships and season tickets but my seat is quite sentimental, would love to be able to take that home.