1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mick McCarthy

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by ibodyslamrhinos, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

No manager in the history of BCFC has had the money LJ has been given.

Time too do the business,no excuses from now.

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Severn bridge tolls have never been this high before. It's just how times have changed so stop going on about his spend.

BCFCRob likes this.
  3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Going to get a lot cheaper for you :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bobby Robson was a real nice guy with a fabulous personality, wonderful, warm way with people, achieved huge success with various clubs and his country, never heard about any bullying from him yet people would do anything for him.

Class act, class man, a real gent.

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Perhaps the other managers hasn't been trusted with the spend that LJ's got......Just think two seasons ago, Cotts wanted to spend that on one player!!

6. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

Your not alone matey...LJ is the man for us

7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Hasn't been trusted ? What has LJ ever done to be trusted ?
    He's just the yes man Lansdown wants to run his toy.
    Your continued assertion that Cotterill had the same budget as LJ is plain silly.
    The number and quality of players this January alone is seemingly fantastic, I say seemingly because Tomlin was fantastic last season but this year is a different player.
    Will LJ have the same effect on the latest crop of signings.
    I bl**dy hope not but fear it will end the same.
    Anyway, I think we'll have our first win in a while this w/e at Forest.

Ps - You've got BJA agreeing with you. You must be right.

8. oneforthebristolcity

Cotts had money, there were a couple of players if I remember, each bidding over 9 mil each for, thinking that was the answer to our problems.
    I remember many of us saying on here that it would be better spent spreading across the squad..........Which is exactly what LJ is doing!
    Yes Tomlin for us was great last season under the same manager, do we know the reason on his dip in form or are we all guessing? Who's fallen out with who? who's fault? We don't know the answers although you will presume it's LJs fault.....and you could be right because as it stands the results have been disappointing.
    I know I'm fairly alone on this but I still believe given the time he will turn it around, but will be slaughtered on here by you & co if he doesn't!!
    We need to stop the rot in the league this weekend, a draw at the very least, but I think he does have up to and including the Rotherham game to sort it or he will be gone!!

wizered, RedorDead and Supcon72 like this.
  9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Baseless.

An outright lie, as we all know.

And yet you don't credit LJ for signing Tomlin initially and helping him save us last year?

I do agree with some of your points mate but you have to make a fair argument to be convincing, and when you suggest things like Cotterill not having the same budget as LJ, even though we all KNOW that's not true, it's hard to take seriously.

10. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Andre Gray turned us down because we didn't offer him half the salary we now pay Tomlin to sit on our bench.
    We didn't get O'Neil a year earlier because SC was told he didn't fit our 'profile'. Junior had no such constraint.
    The whole attitude of Lansdown changed when our results went tits up through no investment pre season for SC. The appointment of Mark Ashton heralded that complete change of strategy and Junior became the luckiest boy ever.
    You guys believe the Lansdown version, fair enough I don't.
    We'll have another bounce now and again early next season but in the end the Junior effect will have us no further forward than where we are now. After being afforded the biggest budget in our history.

11. BCFCRob

Redprintt, those first two lines, how on earth can you possibly know this? The O'Neil thing I could believe, Gray I absolutely don't.

12. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Good point, but something of an exception I feel.
    Robbo was given a very hard time by the press, particularly after a rubbish Euro 88.
    He benefitted enormously from the emergence of Gascoigne at Italia 90, and left the job a success as a result.

But there is no doubting his ability as a coach, or his reputation as a decent man.
    It may be too much to ask for another Robbo though, so we may need to settle for a Shankly

BCFCRob likes this.
  13. BCFCRob

This is probably spot on (you'll know a lot more about 88 and 90 than I will!), Gazza's talent will definitely have helped him out, but there's no doubting his ability as a coach. Great spell at Ipswich, won the league at PSV, sorted Sporting out, great spell at Porto, European Manager of the Year at Barcelona, and took Newcastle to heights that they've since failed to come near.

And not to mention that he was about as likeable a bloke as you'll ever meet :emoticon-0101-sadsm:emoticon-0101-sadsm:emoticon-0101-sadsm

wizered likes this.
  14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Coppel has done nothing since his screw up with us... I think the writing was on the cards for him before we even kicked a ball ... had lost it!

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Steve Cotterill did not have the same budget as Lee Johnson. Neither did the previous two Managers.

16. oneforthebristolcity

Obviously wasn't trusted with it!! SC did have money, millions, but wanted to spend it on one player who didn't want to come........who's faults that?

17. BCFCRob

So those £9m bids were just for a laugh were they? LJ's total spending before January was around that figure, maybe just below.

18. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Riiiiiight? Whilst I appreciate paper talk and hearsay sometimes comes to fruition, where on earth is the proof that these big money deals were even remotely close to becoming reality? None that I'm aware of. So therefore we have no proof or tangible evidence to support the idea that Cotterill was given the same transfer funds.

Even if he had have been given them (which he wasn't), and his targets were big money on one or two targets, those two targets are at least now proven to be hugely successful and worth every penny.

Other than Tammy who is here on loan, I wouldn't say any of LJ's big spends have shown they are worth every penny. Certainly not yet, and certainly not under his management can I see that happening.

Red Robin likes this.
  19. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Seriously?????

3+ mil for Tomlin, 3+ mil for Engvall, 3+ mil for Magnusson! That's 9 million alone! So where are you plucking that figure from? Just curious.

20. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Managers come in all shapes, sizes, and temperaments.
    Let's be clear that I don't want (or condone) a Manager that physically attacks the players (GJ anyone ?), but would I object to a total bastard that shouts at players, gets in their faces, throws tea cups around at half time, and who is as miserable as a wet Saturday afternoon in January at the Memorial Ground when the team lose or don't perform ?

No I wouldn't. Not a bit. In fact it might even do some of the overpaid and pampered players some good to be told in no uncertain terms they are not performing to expectation.

Some of the very very best and successful Managers have had to be nasty horrible bastards at times. Brian Clough and SAF spring immediately to mind. But they got the results and silverware to show for it.