1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mildy to consider his future

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Thorngas, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

Steve Mildenhall is tonight considering his Bristol Rovers future after being told by manager Darrell Clarke that he is unlikely to figure as part of his long-term plans.

Mildenhall was a surprise omission from the 18-man squad that claimed a 1-0 victory against Yeovil Town at Huish Park this afternoon and has been given the weekend to think over his options following a meeting with Clarke at the training ground on Friday.
    Chapman was named in goal after he completed a short-term loan deal on Friday and Clarke has now confirmed that he is actively in the market for a new first-choice goalkeeper.

Clarke said: “It is nothing personal at all because Steve is a great servant to Bristol Rovers and a model professional.

“I haven’t got a problem with Steve and he appreciates the honest way in which I have approached the situation. It is simply my preference to go with a different style of goalkeeper. He is very disappointed and I wouldn’t expect him to be anything other than that.

“I am not in the process of messing players about and as an experienced and senior professional with a year left to run on his contract I felt it only right to let him know that he will not be my first-choice goalkeeper.

“He has gone away to think about things over the weekend and we will see what comes of it next week. I need a goalkeeper that fits into the way I want to play the game and will also help me get this club out of League Two.”

With Will Puddy also still struggling with a hard-to-diagnose groin problem, Clarke has suggested that Chapman, who kept a clean sheet and made one fine save at Huish Park, is in pole position to fill Mildenhall’s shoes.

“Will Aaron be that man? I don’t know yet but the chance is there for him to show me what he can do over the next few weeks,” Clarke said.

“I thought he did well for us today, but the lads in front of him played so well that he didn’t have too much to do. He’s come through the game with a clean sheet and we’ll see if he can go and build on that now.”

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Tough decision, but I'm sure DC is right, and he's being honest with Mildy,who has been a great professional.

Thorngas likes this.
  3. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

Looks to me that chapman has come on loan to see if he fits in for the number 1 spot.
    Time will tell.
    Hopefully DC finds the right man for the job. He could always ask the tea lady if she knows of any gems.

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well Mildy has been a good servant to the club and wish luck wherever he ends up.

5. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Got the impression that Will Puddy might have been 1st choice this season but for his injury. Wish Mildy well whatever his decision

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Big shame this. But I do now think its best for our club. And for him too. Can find a club somewhere with another 2 years or so in him. Rather than sat on our bench - if that - and as a result, no one may want him next summer. I can see maybe Cheltenham or Bath. He will stay local im sure.

7. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Shame. I personally think mildly is better than puddy

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well this new keeper has kept 2 clean sheets in 2 games!

But he has only had to deal with 1 shot on target at Yeovil and only 1 shot on target tonight vs Luton. 352 formation seems to be working well!

9. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

It's a pity for Steve - he's done really well for the club but I think he's not quite up to the rigours of League 2. In fact, he's been slowly edged out of it since earlier this year. I'd like to see him stay on as our number 2 for the season (I'd understand if he didn't fancy it) and maybe do his coaching badges with us - he seems to be a good character to have around.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  10. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Thought I read that he was going to fight for his place