1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic MLS

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that the Cali stadiums are going to look different real soon as we are in the drought from hell and they have to cut their water usage back by 25% as Brown put in an executive order about drought measures in a few days ago.

2. HullMan

HullMan Member

Timbers finally get a win!

Was fishing this weekend so didn't get to watch any games, and just switched TV providers so the MLS package hasn't been added yet... but watched all the highlights and there were some nice goals. The Morales goal against SJ was a wicked strike.

Sadly, I also caught no fish.

3. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that's the same Governor Jerry Brown the Dead Kennedy's sung about in the late 70s in one of my favorite songs?

How come he never ended up as president?

Hmm have to dig that album out now, loved that.

I thought you were doing weekly results Elle?

I've sorta adopted DC as my US team, which reading above kinda figures as they seem unfashionable.

4. HullMan

HullMan Member

Jerry Brown ran for President, I think in 1992, but was defeated in the primaries. If I remember correctly, he finished third in electoral college points gained from the elections, but then finished second during the Democratic convention. I remember the press reporting this as some sort of bizarre occurrence. Bill Clinton won the Democratic nomination and then the subsequent election. I could be wrong, since I was only ten years old and I've since drank many mundane memories away, but that sounds right.

Also, the Oakland A's had a player named Jerry Browne around this time, and little kid me thought it was the funniest thing that a Presidential candidate had the same name as a baseball player. Ahhhh, youth...

Back to MLS, Montreal plays the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinal tonight. I always root for MLS teams in this tournament, so as they're the last one and have a decent shot of advancing to the final, I'll be watching and cheering for my Canadian brethren!

5. ellewoods

Yea its the same brown, he is old as hell. He just won reelection as gov and I would think that this will be his last term in an elective office.

Sorry ive been busy building a goat barn thingy and I have neglected coming on the net.

There is still one game from Week 5 that is being played tonight. Here are all the current scorelines from week 5.

Orlando SC 0 vs DC United 1
    Chicago Fire 3 vs Toronto FC 2
    Colorado Rapids 0 vs NE Revolution 2
    Whitecaps FC 2 vs LA Galaxy 0
    Sounders FC 1 vs Houston Dynamo 0
    Portland Timbers 3 vs FC Dallas 1
    SJ Earthquakes 0 vs Real Salt Lake 1
    Sporting KC 3 vs Philly 2

6. ellewoods

Highlights of the teams I think people here follow.

Happy Tiger likes this.
  7. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Thanks Elle, just watched the DC game and it looked like a classic "you have to take your chances" type of game. The DC goalie likes to get in the way of the ball too, he's pretty handy.

Also, I realise this won't be a popular view on here but, I fricken love the commentary on that! Not sure I could cope with it every week but this morning, it make me smile. The enthusiasm and almost naivety is just great.

8. ellewoods

Was it a local commentating team (they tend to be the best)? I dont think it was on my TV I had a couple other games instead of the DC game. If its the same as the highlights its not a local team I think thats the logo of one of the spanish speaking channels but they arent speaking spanish so I am confused.

EDIT: it is a spanish speaking channel (UniMás) but its from florida so chances are its their local commentating team as it was an orlando game. since its the local commentating team they probably have to do it in english.

The DC goalie is probably the future US number 1, granted there is still a lot of years left before Howard and Guzan run out there time but Hamid is really young, already getting national team caps and is the current mls keeper of the year. Most of the "experts" seem to think he will be the future.

9. ellewoods

First game of Week 6 starts tonight.

Friday, April 10

FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids

Saturday, April 11

NE Revolution vs Columbus Crew
    Philadelphia Union vs NYC FC
    DC United vs NY Red Bulls
    Sporting KC vs Real Salt Lake
    Houston Dynamo vs Montreal Impact
    SJ Earthquakes vs Whitecaps FC

Sunday, April 12

Portland Timbers vs Orlando SC
    LA Galaxy vs Sounders FC

10. HullMan

HullMan Member

Headed out now to watch San Jose take on Vancouver... really looking forward to checking out the new stadium, specifically the outdoor bar! I will report back (possibly under the influence of the fruits of said outdoor bar)

11. ellewoods

You wearing a hcafc kit?

12. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

Toronto's new stadium will be a cracker when it's finished - due for completion May 1st 2016.

please log in to view this image

13. ellewoods

DC United's new stadium and complex set for completion in 2017.

14. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

They don't mess about in the MLS do they, that is absolutely fantastic, or, as the late great Richie Benaud would say - "Marvelous"!

15. ellewoods

Well they got lots of money thats for sure. The local Sacramento USL team's (3rd division of US soccer) owners are worth something like 8 billion dollars. This is their current plan for a 20,000 seat stadium. They currently sell out every game in their 11,000 seat stadium. This new plan will probably change as the MLS isnt looking to award them an mls team this go around and they will probably have to wait until the 2020 season to join so their stadium plans will probably change in the years coming. Ill see if I can find some more future mls stadium plans.

16. ellewoods

Horrible image but this is Minnesotas stadium plans for a 28,000 seat stadium with the top teir open that can be expanded to a 65,000 seat stadium.

17. ellewoods

New York City FC proposed stadium. It will depend on location which they are still working out.

18. ellewoods

Miami's stadium. Of course they are talking about not even giving Beckham a team if he can not get the rights to build a stadium soon.

19. ellewoods

I cant find any images for the new LA stadium that is supposed to be built in a few years.

20. Quill

Quill Bastard

Here's what Atlanta's stadium is going to look like (supposedly), it'll be 71,000 seater as they're sharing it with the Falcons.