1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic MLS

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

Nice to bad they are going to go with a duel use stadium. The MLS is trying to get away from that.

2. ellewoods

The proposed stadium in Vegas. The MLS didnt approve their bid for a team so I suppose the next chance would be 2020 or 2025.

please log in to view this image

3. ellewoods

4. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

With all these new teams when are you going to have enough for two divisions and promotion and relegation? I know you don't have that in the USA but it's about time you were able to 'enjoy' a relegation battle.

5. ellewoods

Well we really already have enough to do relegation and promotion as most of these "new" teams already existed or exist in one of the other 2 divisions of US soccer. We have the MLS (division 1, 20 teams), the NASL (divison 2 with 11 teams) and the USL (division 3, 24 teams).

The pressure for relegation and promotion is coming from outside the league mainly from billionaires who want to own teams and can not without promotion and relegation. You might think that the league could just ignore it but the issue is that there is a lot of crossover between owners of different sports franchises. Everyone knows each other and one owner in a league doesn't want to piss off another owner in a different sport. For instance the local USL team here is owned by the owners of the Sacramento Kings (NBA), Sacramento Monarchs (WNBA) and the 49ers (NFL) they want an MLS team and they are some of the most powerful sports owners in the US worth 8 billion and if they want a team the MLS is forced to listen. Same with the Minnesota bid (Vikings Owners) or the Atlanta bid (Falcons owners) etc. Hopefully the pressure will mount and they will be forced into a relegation and promotion system but I think it will probably take a good 30 years before it might happen.

6. ellewoods

Week 6 Results.

FC Dallas 0 vs Colorado Rapids 4
    NE Revolution 0 vs Columbus Crew 0
    Philadelphia Union 2 vs NYC FC 1
    DC United 2 vs NY Red Bulls 2
    Sporting KC 0 vs Real Salt Lake 0
    Houston Dynamo 3 vs Montreal Impact 0
    SJ Earthquakes 1 vs Whitecaps FC 0
    Portland Timbers 0 vs Orlando SC 2
    LA Galaxy 1 vs Sounders FC 0

7. ellewoods

Standings.

Eastern Conference

# Club PTS GP
    1 D.C. United 10 5
    2 New York Red Bulls 8 4
    3 Orlando City SC 8 6
    4 New England Revolution 8 6
    5 Chicago Fire 6 5
    6 Columbus Crew SC 5 5
    7 New York City FC 5 5
    8 Philadelphia Union 5 6
    9 Toronto FC 3 4
    10 Montreal Impact 2 4

Western Conference
    # Club PTS GP
    1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC 13 7
    2 FC Dallas 10 6
    3 San Jose Earthquakes 9 6
    4 Real Salt Lake 9 5
    5 Sporting Kansas City 9 6
    6 Houston Dynamo 8 6
    7 LA Galaxy 8 6
    8 Seattle Sounders FC 7 5
    9 Colorado Rapids 6 5
    10 Portland Timbers 6 6

Supporter Shield Standings (what is the title in most leagues in the world)

# Club PTS GP
    1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC 13 7
    2 D.C. United 10 5
    3 FC Dallas 10 6
    4 San Jose Earthquakes 9 6
    5 Real Salt Lake 9 5
    6 Sporting Kansas City 9 6
    7 New York Red Bulls 8 4
    8 Houston Dynamo 8 6
    9 Orlando City SC 8 6
    10 LA Galaxy 8 6
    11 New England Revolution 8 6
    12 Seattle Sounders FC 7 5
    13 Chicago Fire 6 5
    14 Colorado Rapids 6 5
    15 Portland Timbers 6 6
    16 Columbus Crew SC 5 5
    17 New York City FC 5 5
    18 Philadelphia Union 5 6
    19 Toronto FC 3 4
    20 Montreal Impact 2 4

8. HullMan

HullMan Member

New Quakes stadium is sweet. The bar is great, quicker lines than the concession stands and a large standing area so you can watch the game behind the goal, close enough to see it all. The standing area is "stadium" standing so you don't have to look at the backs of people's heads as well.

Timbers let me down again... they can never score and then give up stupid goals (although Orlando's first goal was a very clever finish).

Sorry for the late replies as I was staying off this thread because I DVR'd all the games from Saturday and Sunday and was watching while doing a big project for school... but no, I was not in a HCAFC kit, I was in a Quakes jersey and then I put on a hoodie from the high school I coach at. As far as the Earthquakes go, #10 Perez Garcia looks good on TV, but in person he is quick as heck and really jumpstarts things for them. Too bad they don't really have anyone to play off him, so they end up scrapping by (I love Wondo, absolutely love him, but he is a poacher and not much else). Good win though. I'm really looking forward to going to another few games now that I have "the system" for the new stadium down... where to park, where to eat, the walk to the match, etc.

For what it's worth, I thought HCAFC looked the better team on Saturday until they gave up the first goal, at which point they kind of mailed it in. Not good to see. I'm optimistic though, I think we can get results against Tottenham and Burnley at home, and hopefully something from Palace as well, and as they're a very streaky group, a decent run of form in the last few games is probably in the cards and I think they'll stay up! (That's what I'm hoping at least)

9. HullMan

HullMan Member

Also, for clarification, the bid that MLS accepted for the Minnesota franchise was not the bid by the Vikings group, it was another group that already owns Minnesota United in the NASL... the Vikings group was upset about this and is trying to use their friends in the state Senate to block it somehow, but no avail. And the new stadium is supposed to now be a soccer only, outdoor stadium (not the best idea for Minnesota I think, but what do I know) as the Vikings group would have used their new stadium for the MLS team but their bid was not the one selected.

I really hope the Sacramento group can get into MLS somehow, I've been to a couple of their USL games last year and they are a great time. Very passionate and downtown Sac is a good area to have fun in before/after the match.

10. ellewoods

If Beckham doesnt get his act together they will have the final spot this go around. They are shoe-ins to get it the next go around anyway. They sold out their new capacity easily enough. You see they are on TV already? Not sure if you get the channel over by San Jose but they have it out by me, I think its channel 31 I can double check if you want.

11. ellewoods

Week 6 highlights (from those teams I think people on here watch, let me know if there is some other type of video you want to see)

12. HullMan

HullMan Member

What is the name of the station? I'm in Martinez so I may get it, I get a few Sacramento affiliates on DirecTV

13. ellewoods

It's CW31. Their game on the 18th is already on the tv listing so you should be able to go to that time slot on Saturday and scroll to see if it's there or on another channel for you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  14. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

How's David Villa playing?

That second goal on those highlights looked like it just hit him.

15. ellewoods

I watched one game that he played and I wasnt impressed. Someone who has watched all his games might have a better idea but his abilities looked wasted from what I saw. You can be the best player in the world but if your teammates are poor you won't look good as it's a team game. That's what I saw the one game anyway.

16. HullMan

HullMan Member

I watched this weekend, as well as NYC's first couple games. He really looked impressive in the first match, he was toying with everyone and Mix Diskerud was doing a great job playing with him... then he took a minor knock and yeah, he didn't look as sharp last weekend. With that said, he looks a step up in class and I expect him to show well over the course of the season.

17. ellewoods

I looked for a highlight video of just him but he hasnt played enough yet for some crazy fan to make one.

18. ellewoods

First game of Week 7 starts tomorrow.

Thursday, April 16

NYC FC vs Philadelphia Union

Friday, April 17

NY Red Bulls vs SJ Earthquakes

Saturday, April 18

DC United vs Houston Dynamo
    Columbus Crew vs Orlando SC
    FC Dallas vs Toronto FC
    Colorado Rapids vs Sounders FC
    Real Salt Lake vs Whitecaps FC
    LA Galaxy vs Sporting KC

Sunday, April 19

Philadelphia Union vs NE Revolution
    NYC FC vs Portland Timbers

19. ellewoods

They scored a 60 yard goal in their 2-0 win against Whitecaps FC 2 yesterday. Uh I forgot to mention the Club records their games and puts the full game up on Youtube they also stream some (maybe all) of their games live on youtube so you can catch every game of theirs even if you cant get CW31.

20. ellewoods

A world to anyone planning on watching the SJ game today it is only being broadcast in Spanish.