1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Modern-day Footballers

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Hugh Briss, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

With transfer fees and player wages spiralling out of control, it can't really be a surprise that the players are becoming more and more selfish and mercenary.

I honestly believe that, in the worlds top divisions, players have almost no personal interest in a football club, it's fans or it's history. Much less it's long-term future.

I have been staggered by the decision of players like Oscar, to sell-off their careers to the Chinese money-men.

Is there no 'Financial Fair Play' in China to regulate such obscene amounts of money being offered?

It's all about the money for these players and their Agents and with the amounts being offered, the relatively short time players have a career and thinking about their family, you can, to a degree understand the motivation.

Diego Costa will not be the last player to have his head turned by such obscene financial packages and unless FIFA nip this sort of behaviour 'in-the-bud', then Football has a major problem.

It seems that footballing glory or even prestige, has evaporated from the minds of players and it's a straight-forward feeding-frenzy.

When you know that a players 'heart' is simply not in it, does that detract from the spectacle?

It does for me, and the way their own personal glory will forever be the most important thing has affected my willingness to watch any match other than a Newcastle United one.

How many of the current NUFC squad really have an interest in seeing the Toon progress and how many are simply 'feathering their own nest' in a personal mission to make as much money as possible?

Food for thought.

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Probably not many to be fair.
    It's hilarious that Chelski fans are beelin over the Chinese money when it's exactly what THEY did to the PL when the money really started to spiral.
    Hopefully the Chinese buy all the best players and given everyone else a bit of a level playing field....

3. Hugh Briss

Really?

No legacy for their career, just simply maximising the earning potential?

It just seems an ultimately soulless way for football to 'move forward'.

JakartaToon likes this.
  4. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Think about your own job and the organisation you work for. If someone offered you a 50% pay rise or to double you salary at a competitor would you be loyal or would you take the new job and better your financial position for you and your family? I don't mind players wanting to improve their positions but they need to go about it in the right way. Showing disrespect to their current club and fans isn't on.

5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I don't agree; not at this level.

Costa is allegedly on £185,000 per at Chelsea which is £9.6M per year which was originally a five year contract meaning earnings of £48.1M over just this contract. Obviously there is tax to pay but I wont pretend to know how much. By the end of this contract he will be 30/31 yo and still have a big pay day contract to sign.

Consider he has been on a decent contract now for some years and this is just his football wages and does not include endorsements and image rights.

My question is how many millions does one individual require to live on before it becomes greed?

Flash and Hugh Briss like this.
  6. General Lee Speaking

It becomes greedy over around £50,000 per year I'd say.

7. Hugh Briss

I see what you're saying and in most circumstances that would apply to any 'normal' working practice.

I just think Football is a totally different 'beast' - it seems that there is no interest from the players in staying at one club and becoming a 'Legend' or at least looking to leave a legacy - they are all just looking to their Agent to broker their next mega-money move.

I understand that people are looking-out for their family, but how much is enough?

When their career is over, will they look back with pride on what they have achieved or is it all about the money?

"Who cares about trophies, titles, the love of an army of fans? I've got millions in the bank and I will be remembered (possibly) as a mercenary" - would seem to be the future epitaph for modern footballers.

8. TheSecondComing

The thing is, clubs and fans treat players like garbage when their usefulness expires, so I don't blame players for the reverse.

I would say there is an element of professionalism that must be adhered to in these situations, however.

9. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Football's a sh!te game anyway, it never finishes 3-1 to the Mags.

J. J. McClure and Obi Wan like this.
  10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I may be remembering this incorrectly but are you a teacher? If so then you can almost certainly double your wages AND not pay any tax on your earnings by going to work in the middle east. Most of the schools throw in free private education for your kids and give you decent free accommodation whilst there.

Personally I'm not convinced everyone is just motivated by money though.

11. General Lee Speaking

Not a teacher, no.

12. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

It's not just footballers though.
    If someone offered me double my current wage it would massively change my life but there has to come a point when it doesn't really make a difference as such. If you can't spend £200k a week why would you "need" £500k??
    It's like the super rich who get into cocl measurimg contests over their yachts, enjoy your money of course but after a while it's just ostentatious

Hugh Briss likes this.
  13. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

That argument gets used so often but it's comparing apples and pears.

What you can do with 60k a year compared to 30k a year is a hell of a lot. But does your standard of living increase dramatically going from 150k a year to 300k a year?

14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

What I would say is that, if clubs want to offer the players this obscene money then not the players fault.

In case of Oscar, he wasn't getting any game time at Chelsea so no complaints with him going. Costa on other hand earning enough money, first team player at club top of the table, no reason for him to want to move other than greediness.

Footballers do have long retirements though and after they retire, they don't often have a educational background to go into different areas, especially those that have come from poor backgrounds like some of the Brazillians for example so if going to China for 3-4 years to earn a retirement fund is way they want to go then fair enough. Prob sets up their family for life back home as well.

In terms of footballers loyalty. The amount of local players playing at top level has dramatically reduced over years so foreign players aren't going to have that same level of loyalty. If you went and played in Italy for some mid table team would you feel any kind of loyalty to them, especially if after a few bad performances they were on your back?

15. General Lee Speaking

That argument also gets used a lot but most people in that position will take the money. As would most of us, especially when you start to think about providing for your retirement, your kids futures and your family. And it's not a new thing, exclusive to modern footballers, either.

EDIT: I see you have acknowledged much of this in your subsequent post.

16. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Call it greed or looking after themselves - I find it odd that we are moaning about this only when a 'richer' league comes along that can start pinching players off the Premier League. Personally I don't think it will last very long as I think the business model is unsustainable - these clubs are being funded by wealthy owners and there is actually little return on their investment. The Asian Champions Cup will never be popular on a global scale so funding from TV will be limited. The Chinese FA are already wanting to put restrictions on the number of foreign players who can play (3-4 per team) which will also reduce demand for players. The initiative was initially encouraged by the Chinese government as a way of raising the status of their game with a view to becoming a world force as a country and they have now realised that it is more likely to hinder the growth of homegrown talent.

17. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Strike while the irons hot lads !

I've sent my cv and cover letter to all Chinese clubs.

18. Hugh Briss

Some really great comments here and they are much appreciated.

Looking forward for Newcastle United, are we prepared to compete in the Premier League with such personalities?

Is it naïve of me to think that any player really cares about what we think / his legacy at SJP?

Perhaps it's because of my age that i'm over-romanticising about the days of Alan Shearer?

Will we ever get another 'Local Hero'? Perhaps Andy Carroll will return like the prodigal son? :emoticon-0103-cool: