1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Monopoly

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Reading a comment that Redprintt posted on the 'Wembley' thread: 'In any other business, clients would take their business elsewhere', reminded me about something that I have a keen interest in - the monopoly that Sky Broadcasting have over football.

There was a landmark case in 2012 where a Portsmouth landlady won the right to show live games using a Greek TV service - after paying £8k in 'fines'.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

Even since this case, here in Swindon there have been various establishments threatened with court action - some of them have been frightened enough to stop showing games and one pub actually shut down over it.

This doesnt happen in any other business (as far as I am aware?)
    If you don't like the prices that British Gas is charging, you switch suppliers.
    If you don't like the price your local pub charges, you can go somewhere else to drink.
    If you see a car advertised at one garage for one price, but cheaper at another, why should you be forced to buy from the first garage and pay the higher price?

And yet, if you want to receive a TV service from a cheaper supplier, Sky send the boys round - and with the financial muscle of Mr. Murdoch available to back them up the little man hasn't got much chance.

This appears to go against the free market trading economic environment that our government (in particular the Tories) preach......

MAKES ME MAD!!!!

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'the monopoly that Sky Broadcasting have over football'
    They have the monopoly (almost) because they pay the most money.
    I'm not happy either but isn't that 'the free market trading' ?

'our government (in particular the Tories) preach......'
    Never mind R&W, fully expect Ed and the Scottish Nationalists to put everything right in May.
    May the Lord help us.

3. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

It's afucking joke how sky takes away shows and sport away from free view and charges you a small fortune for them back, ****ing ****s!
    Murdoch just uses his media like the daily mail and Fox News to brainwash everyone into supporting his idiotic ideas.

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It's their choice to pay all that money - and in turn the foreign broadcasters pay THEM! It's the risk you take in business; you buy cheaply off your supplier hoping you make a profit when selling it on.

As for politicians; they are all the same as each other. I always vote (I believe we all should) but don't ally with any political party - although have friends in all 3 including the current MP.

5. LARED

LARED Member

I always say about politicians that I have enough trouble trying to run my household so what must it like trying to run the country. Our parliamentary process whilst it may smack of intellectual theatre is the envy of the world and it works. As regards MPs pay I still refuse to buy the Telegraph for exposing the MPs expenses row. Our MPs don't get paid well (£67k pa) and they certainly don't work 40 hours a week like everybody else. When the old top up your pay through expenses row exploded I think nearly a third of sitting MPs quit. So what was gained. And now Channel 4 have exposed to senior MPs for doing private work. The real non altruistic people are the media. They seek to use freedom of speech to promote their influence. People should realise what a wonderful free and diverse country we live in. Just look at Afghanistan and Ukraine. Off my soapbx

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015