1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moyes confirmed

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Jul 23, 2016.

1. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2016/july/manager-appointed

Menu
    New Manager:SAFC welcomes David Moyes

NEWS
    MENU
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Sunderland AFC confirms the appointment of David Moyes as its new manager.

Moyes, 53, has signed a four-year deal at the Stadium of Light.

Speaking about the appointment, chairman Ellis Short said: “We are absolutely delighted to welcome David Moyes to Sunderland, who was by far and away our first choice.

“He is a man whose football pedigree speaks for itself and is someone I have long admired. I have spoken with him on many occasions and I have always been hugely impressed. He was my number one managerial target for the last five appointments, but his desire to honour existing contracts meant we were not able to bring him to Sunderland previously. To be able to finally welcome him as our manager is fantastic news for the club.

“The fact that David has committed to a four-year deal is a clear demonstration of his belief in what he can achieve here. It is our aim to become a better, stronger and more stable football club and with a manager of David’s calibre and experience at the helm, we have a fantastic opportunity to begin looking upwards, rather than downwards every season”.

David Moyes said: “I am delighted to have joined Sunderland. I am relishing the challenge and excited by the opportunity.

“I have taken over a big British club, with a great support and I’m looking forward to working in the Premier League again.

“I look forward to continuing the good work done by Sam”. The Scot boasts a wealth of experience at the top level and is a three-time LMA Manager of the Year (2002-03, 2004-05, 2008-09). He has also won 10 Manager of the Month awards in England and has managed more than 800 senior games in club football.

Moyes began his managerial career with Preston North End in 1998, going on to win the Second Division title with the club.

He moved to Everton in March 2002 and enjoyed huge success during more than 11 years at Goodison Park. During that time, Moyes established the Toffees as a force in the upper reaches of the table as well as leading the club into Europe.

Moyes’ work at Goodison Park led to his appointment as Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor as manager of Manchester United ahead of the 2013-14 season.

He subsequently moved to Spain to join Real Sociedad in November 2014 and spent a year with the club, where his achievements included a famous 1-0 win over Barcelona.

Bexinio, Dorset, BackO'TheNet and 3 others like this.
  2. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Fair play. Time to get to work.

3. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Finally. Now let's get spending.

4. Hairyhaggis

Hairyhaggis Well-Known Member

Can honestly say I was gutted to lose BSA, as I thought we would have progressed under him.. however, getting in Moyes, who I have always rated is to me an improvement. I feel with him we will continue on with the good work we had under Sam. Only thing I am gutted about is the timing of it all, as he has 3 weeks before the start to get his stamp on the team. But I think he will be fine, and we will move on. Glad it was Moyes who came in, and glad it is finally over and done with. Lets get on with it!

5. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

For once the club has got this right. Pushed the FA into coming to a decision and had the best possible replacement lined up. Well done Mr Short

6. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

At least he has a full season ahead of him though. So even if it is a tad late it's alot earlier than the last few managers that we've had. Good luck to him and i aggree that if anything he is an improvement on BSA.

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Very happy about this...These Bruce rumours were beginning to scare me..

8. Fentonpell

Fentonpell Well-Known Member

And a well aimed side sweep at Sam into the bargain.

9. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Wow. Wasn't expecting it this early. Had sky sports news on earlier and only went upstairs to get dressed etc. Happy.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Be interesting to hear the anti Ellis brigade on what he says about going for moyes 5 times previously. That, to me, looks like someone who has been trying to do the best for the club! Hopefully this is the continuation of what Sam was putting in place.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Pleased for you and Moyes himself tbh.

The best appointment you could have made to follow Big Sam imo. I'll follow your progress with interest.

12. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Great appointment and great speed for once well done SAFC, now lets get rolling.

13. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

My concerns about Moyes are known but now he's ours he has my total total support and hope he relishes our rollercoaster - new unexpected experiences beckon for him not so unexpected for us - maybe apart from real success - <cracker>:emoticon-0170-ninja<applause>.......:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0162-coffe ....and the <wah> along the way.

14. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Echo that Marcus. Over time ES has struck me as a man who does not aim low and some of his managerial appointments have been out of necessity rather than choice. Getting the right man is always a gamble as all clubs and even our country's record will attest to.

At least DM does not have to make too many changes, if any, and if we have a mutual admiration club twixt Owner and Manager it bodes well for the coming years.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Perfect. Nice to know that we've been trying to get him for five years too, seems that when it comes to managerial appointments the club isn't quite the headless chicken I thought it was.

16. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

17. Nostalgic

In the nineties Sky's Andy Gray bleated on about Everton underperforming and that a huge club was being driven into the ground and so on. He would never let it drop so the board invited him to become manager and he went to Goodison but left without getting the job. He reckoned the time "was not right" for him to go into manageship, but he never the state of the club again.

Moyes and Bill Kenwright sorted it out over time using the sale of Rooney to steady the ship. Everton are not in a bad state now.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  18. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

We need a bouncing SOL now fully behind the team & club managment ad at the end of last season DM continues BSA groundwork :emoticon-0148-yes:

19. Nostalgic

20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That's it, happy fans ultimately means points. It's not like we're a miserable bunch, we've just had so little to fire us up until Sam got us going.

Canny Lad and red&white wanderer like this.