1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Football League proposals

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by philhythe, May 19, 2016.

1. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

What is anybodys opinion on the football league cutting the teams down to 20 & adding a fourth divisions

2. brb

brb CR250

I've not seen the proposals but if it includes bringing in the conference then it gets my vote, but i'd need to see the finer detail.

3. philhythe

It would mean maybe the top eight in the 2019/2020 season another proposal is Premier League B teams which I think is an awful idea. Watching Sky Sports the Accrington chairman wants more games for more revenue

4. brb

brb CR250

My answer is easy on that NO. I'll be fuming if they allow B teams.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought you were keen on that idea brb
    please log in to view this image

6. brb

brb CR250

B teams, watch me go into melt down if that ever happens

7. brb

brb CR250

My suggestion would be to close out the Premier League entirely other than two domestic trophies League & FA Cup.

Four football leagues incorporating old conference, but NO to any possibility of B teams now or in the future.

A reduction in teams, should be used to reduce mid-week games and a protection of Saturday matches even with TV rights.

I would like to see (will never happen) a Champions League place go to the FA Cup winners, this to stop PL clubs from playing weakened teams.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That isn't going to happen brb (see here)

"But he [Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey] dismissed suggestions Premier League clubs could field B teams in the lower divisions.

Former Leyton Orient chairman Hearn told Sky Sports: "[Premier League B teams] would destroy the fabric of the Football League. It is poorly thought and would be a sell-out to the Premier League."

9. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

Ive got angry about premier B teams before, so i will spare that one again.....

As for the rest of this proposal i generally fail to see the point in it. It will mean less midweek games, which can be both a good and a bad thing - I love midweek matchs, but it almost always means poor away crowds and we often seem to get sent off to somewhere miles away on a tuesday night. Getting some of the conference teams more involved isnt a bad idea either - the fact that none of them in recent years have been promoted and then struggled in staying up shows that the quality is there. However I imagine this will make the 2019-20 season a logistical nightmare with promotions and relegations if we are rescedualing the leagus and it honestly seems like a lot of bother for not much benifit. I would vote against even if there are no B teams

10. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

No B teams and revamp the FL Trophy into regional groups of four playing six games 3home and 3away included home games to be included in season ticket we could be in a group with poxford and the franchise and one other maybe Stevenage and only group winners going through to the knock out stage it could start early August before the league starts instead of some meaning less friendly then I'll be happy with it as I don't like midweek league games in the cold dark months

11. philhythe

What I was surprised about was how the money is allocated already the money handed down from the Premier League 80% goes to the Championship clubs 12% to league one & 8% to league 2 when you look at those figures any body getting promoted from league 1 are on a hiding to nothing.

12. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely agree, even the mere mention of B Teams infuriates me. It appears from reports I've read that many National Teams as it appears they are called these days are also against these proposals, and my thoughts at present fall on their side. Meaning in simple terms, I do not wish to see any changes that are negative to lower league clubs, or any changes that leave the door ajar for B Teams in the future.

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The biggest down side to the proposals must be the reduction in games in the lower leagues. Some clubs would be ok but the majority cannot afford to lose the revenue from 4 home matches. Look at Accrington as the prime example. Their average is less than 2000 and how they even compete at all already is beyond me. Take away another 4 revenues and that cannot be good for them. Unless these clubs have an owner who can afford to put in money to lose every season then it would put loads out of business. I would imagine eventually most would become part time clubs with semi professionals. No good for players and not good for the clubs themselves. About the only up side I could see would be less games equals less suspensions and less injuries. 4 less games for supporters would mean the season ticket would be more expensive per match as I can't see any club being able to put the price down. I absolutely do not see what is in this for the premier league. If they don't get B team inclusion then why even butt in at all. If they want this to go ahead then they have to give the lower leagues more of their ill gotten gains. If they kill off the lower league, and I suspect this might deter some supporters, then a whole load of people will fall out of love with football altogether. My advice to them would be butt out and leave us alone. We are fine with 3 leagues and a Conference who play to get into them.