1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

He would be my choice. So good news if true. <ok>

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Any concrete rumours other than after dinner conversations?

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

My mates, brother's, missus' Dad, said that he heard a bloke who used to go on holiday to Italy, talking about it down the pub

4. lazarus20000

Now that's more like it!

But seriously, i'm bracing myself of all the rumours that will come out before Wenger decides his future. It'll be crazy.

Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.
  5. TheBear

If I had to put money down I would bet on Wenger to stay for another 1-2 Seasons.

6. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

I have feeling you may be right with this. The 'transition' will be not be swift, immediate or uncomplicated with this board and the fact that Wenger wields so much decision making power.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think that will be the case too. And to be honest, unless we've got a top calibre manager lined up, that is the right thing to do.

winifred122 likes this.
  8. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Really?

When you consider the job Howe has done at Bournemouth, it's quite incredible.

He plays good football and I reckon he would do well with better players than he has now.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Eddie Howe is completely untested at the top level. Okay he has done well with Bournemouth, but he has zero experience of the Champions League or managing a club pushing to win the title. He would be a massive risk in my opinion. Maybe one day, but I'd like to see him work his way up the managerial ladder first before he comes anywhere near Arsenal.

Sign Da Ting and Bodinki like this.
  10. lazarus20000

Yep same here, i reckon another 1 or 2 seasons. The ball is in Wenger's court and it's just up to him to sign and he seems like he wants to stay. I thought he would go but he is holding steadfast.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

He should go to a club like Everton or something before going to Arsenal imo. Let him cut his teeth in Europe and whatnot

Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

As much as I don't want Howe as our next manager... Come now... Wenger also hasn't had experience of managing a team pushing for the title for over a decade. And also has no experience of doing anything of note in the champions league. <whistle>

13. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>
    He hasn't won the league in a while, but Wenger has managed over 1000 games at a club like Arsenal and is unfazed by the pressure he is, rightfully, receiving (I am still not convinced he will cave and even leave).
    The pressure on Howe will be nothing like he has ever experienced if he moved to Arsenal.
    A club like Bournemouth can go through a 10 game patch without a win relatively unnoticed.
    But one or two early defeats managing Arsenal, and Howe would start getting heat from all over the place, the fans, the media etc.
    Maybe he would rise to the occassion, but we just dont know. I think its too much of a risk, a risk that this Arsenal board will not take....they are not exactly known for their boldness.

lazarus20000, Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.
  14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

15. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

No thanks, he won't have a front three of Neymar,Messi and Suarez at Arsenal.

16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Neither would Eddie Howe

17. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Who gives a **** about Eddie Howe? My top two choices to replace Wenger are Allegri and Sampaoli, both have proven to be quality managers at more than one club unlike Enrique.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  18. lazarus20000

Could Wenger be tempted to go to Barca? It would be interesting to see him manage the very best players in the world with his philosophy. What it would show is whether he still has it or not as he wouldn't have any excuses of budgetary constrains or inferior players.

19. TheBear

Enrique is an interesting choice. Fairly inexperienced but has won two league titles and Champions League trophy in three years.

Ok he has an incredibly forward line to work with but he has also had to manage the post Xavi, Puyol era and rebuild the squad. He has done a good job under difficult circumstances (was gonna be difficult for anyone post Pep). He may well develop into a top class manager.

20. lazarus20000

You've got a point. Yes he has one of the best forward lines in the modern era but he still had to get the team to play and win the league and CL, which are not easy to do. We wont know about any manager until Wenger leaves. If we continue to be fearful of change, then we won't be able to evolve like the rest. At the moment we are just holding on, but it may not be the case in a couple years time unless we make necessary changes.

The Board and some fans don't want to part with their Wenger security blanket, but don't be surprised when it is taken away that we are left behind the rest...

21. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that reports say that Wenger has said he's not looking for other jobs (in light of Barca's manager stepping down at the end of the season).
    This makes it extremely likely that he's going to sign that contract extension many of you are dreading.

Granted I'm a MUFC fan, but I found the following short article pretty interesting, don't know if any of you have seen it in the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-a-coward-in-real-madrid-row-says-mesut-ozil

It's fair to say Ozil no doubt receives the total opposite treatment from his current manager than under Mourinho.
    I know a lot of the discussion on here has been around hopefully getting a manager like Simeone in who has passion and drives his players.

I just wonder exactly how much that might upset the apple cart if players are used to being let off easy by Wenger regarding their poor performances (we assume).
    If it's just one or two players then it won't cause waves, but if most of your squad are used to being treated with kid gloves then a disciplinarian coming in could cause a pretty big problem, he would have to be a really big name they all respect.