1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours New Players

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

He may not play him at all!

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In fairness to Sheridan we do tend to play loanees which maybe why we seem to have no trouble, or at least only a little, in getting them in. We have a reputation of if we borrow one we give them experience. Mind you he doesn't tend to give our own youngsters much of a go. He did but they only responded to the challenge in a minor way and none of them became world beaters I suppose.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

That's a bit unfair isn't it Sensible? Sheridan brought Talbot in who did OK (at least) at right wingback and in central midfield. Maybe this kids the same although Premier League skills will have to cover for lack of real game time.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sheridan has signed a striker.........20yr old 5ft 11in Zak Ansah from Charlton Athletic.......nine years growing up at Arsenal....signed a 2 yr deal this season at the Valley.

Played for England at U17 & U19 levels......switched to Ghana for U21 level.......has not played for the first team yet......staying to the end of the season......recently scored an hat-trick for the young Addicks.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Like all of our signings I will always reserve judgement until they have kicked a ball for us. We do need somebody else to score though and our second string haven't exactly set any fires.

Not sure which bit is unfair notdistant. Our youngsters did ok in patches when given a go and then either faded or let the side down. Since then Sheridan has been ok with playing young players from elsewhere, albeit they have mostly proved to be good, but not playing our own. Loanees do get a look in here and sometimes in preference to some of our own. Banton could be classed as one of those. Not set any fires but is one I think that needs a bit of a run in the side to give of his best. As for Talbot he is a bit of a one off. We don't normally get players of that age and experience but he needed a comeback opportunity following long injury. Not surprised Sheridan played him.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My Charlton programme from last Saturday mentions Zak Ansah twice.....he has scored two consecutive hat-tricks.

The first in a 5-0 win for the U21's in the Kent Senior Cup final against Ramsgate......the second in the U21 match following against Crewe Alexandra U21's (5-1)......maybe our players need to rub some of that goalscoring ability off of him for the rest of the season.

Maybe he should start and give Reid a rest until the second half ?

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Been thinking about this signing and it makes you wonder why Sheridan bothered to sign Brunt on an 18 month contract and then bring in a loan young striker. Seems to me that Brunt was a bit of a waste of money under the circumstances.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe Brunt isn't living up to the expectations that Sheridan had for him.......and maybe this is the wrong time of the season to give him a long run in the team to allow him to gain confidence.

It does seem that Ansah had spent all his teen years at Arsenal.......and he picked up a bad injury during that time. I don't know what type of injury, but Arsenal then released him and Charlton signed him up for two years......that was last summer......he has come on well and seems to have put that behind him and is scoring regularly......and played for Ghana U21's since.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That doesn't really make a lot of sense though plym. He can't afford to let one of our own play to gain confidence yet can bring in a youngster from elsewhere who hasn't seen action in the first team. Also one who is unknown to Sheridan but worth a risk? It just seems that Sheridan has no faith in some of his signings yet chose to use some of his supposed small budget to give them what is a longish contract by Argyle standards. By moving Brunt down the pecking order, because I've no doubt he has, he is virtually admitting he has wasted money.

10. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sheridan, he need's to hold his hand's up and say he made a mistake in signing's and the way we have played in some game's. If the result is not in our favour today i think it will be no play off's this season, but i am optimistic! This will surely mean goodbye Sheridan? He has had long enough and we don't seem to have that cutting edge, just not good enough! prove me wrong and a nice 3 nil win..

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But.........would James Brent pay him off for his third year.......he doesn't like spending money in such a way.....remember how long the Carl Fletcher reign continued.....well after it's sale by date.

Sheridan would only walk if the perfect Yorkshire job brought him home comforts.....and far less travelling than now of course.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Been through this before and no Brent wouldn't sack Sheridan in my opinion and mainly due to payments. If we finish just outside the playoffs for example then it would be hard to call the season a failure even if it didn't bring the success a lot thought we should have. If we finish in the playoffs and fail then again it isn't a failure as such in terms of where we have been. An improvement of sorts if not the one a lot thought we should have. The last scenario would of course be a Webley final and promotion. Despite many thinking we would be fighting to see which of the top 3 slots we should occupy it would be success nonetheless. Sheridan would go if he could get a job up Noooorth. He isn't daft enough to go otherwise is he. So won't go and won't get pushed is my best opinion.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Observation from today to follow on from our discussions above........

Brunt came on and was booked in a couple of minutes and failed to score.

Ansah came on and had two shots on target in 4 mintues followed by a goal in 11.

Hmmm!!!! Pecking order sorted for me and I look forward to seeing this lad next Friday. Still begs the question about the Brunt signing though.

14. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Argyle had a Zak attack..

15. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

The games over Easter should tell the tale..I think they will be in the playoffs..

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good Ansah BC........keep feeding the Bears........so they don't come around your dustbin.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A couple of toughies there it's true BC. The hardest is at home and to be honest I don't gear anyone down here. Our home form is pretty decent. Could do Wycombe a favour as we have Burton and Shrewsbury to go. The Portsmouth match is a funny one. Which Portsmouth will turn up? The one at Home Park was easily beaten to be honest and their form this season has been so up and down and far worse than ours in that respect. On a good day they could hammer anyone and on a bad one could lose to anyone.

18. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Brunt played well when he came on and there was no way he should have been booked-if it was for handball he didn't handle it and if it was for kicking the ball away it was probably o.5seconds after the whistle went. Zak A looked a class act and will surely succeed at a decent level if he can stay healthy. Reuben and Allessandra are both carrying knocks (esp after today) so both replacements will almost certainly be needed for a fair bit in the run in.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Brunt isn't scoring though is he lyndhurst. Ansah only played 20 minutes and is on the score sheet already. We need somebody else who can score and Brunt does not look the business does he. It would be ok if he was lining them up for somebody else but he isn't doing that either.

20. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Two very different players though. No Brunty doesn't score many but he was a handful today (albeit against the bottom side). What we have got has to see us through to the end of the season and any two from Reid, Allessandra and Ansah with Brunt as a back up should be enough. Out of the four Brunt will score the fewest goals but I suspect him being on the pitch might create chances for other players. he is such a physical presence that it will take two to mark him out of the game.