1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Feb 14, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 32

Norwich City 2 - 2 Newcastle United
    FT
    HT 2 - 1
    Attendance: 26,841

Date: Tuesday 14th February 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

Referee: Andrew Madley
    Assistant Referees: Darren Blunden & Nigel Lugg
    Fourth Official: Andy Haines

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Tonight Norwich City welcome Newcastle United to Carrow Road in Round 32 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship season. The Canaries are currently in a rich vein of form having secured a total of 16 points so far this calender year, more than any other side in the Division.
    Last time out City put in an impressive home performance against Nottingham Forest thrashing the visitors by 5 goals to 1 and in truth could have scored more. In the first period Jonny Howson and Wes Hoolahan both netted ‘goal of the season’ contenders with a strike from winger Josh Murphy sandwiched inbetween, a second half brace from diminutive midfielder Alex Pritchard completed the rout.

Watch Jonny Howson's wonder strike against Forest

City boss Alex Neil has stated that he has two or three injury concerns for tonight’s visit of the Magpies but is keeping his cards close to his chest and has given no clues as to who may have to miss out.
    Although Neil has refused to reveal their identities full back Ivo Pinto was taken off with a knee problem during Saturday's game so he is one who may have to have a late fitness test.

Ivo Pinto is an injury doubt for the Canaries

The Canaries will be able to call on Norway midfielder Alex Tettey once again as he returns from a two-match suspension and he could well replace Youssouf Mulumbu in the middle of the park.

Norwich are on a five-match unbeaten run in the league and are chasing a fifth successive home win as they continue their quest for a top-six place and an immediate return to the Premier League.
    While City were putting Nottingham Forest to the sword on Saturday league leaders Newcastle were chalking up yet another win on their travels against Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Molineux. Aleksandar Mitrovic scored the only goal of the game as the Magpies reclaimed the Championship’s top spot from Brighton & Hove Albion.
    The result further improved Newcastle's impressive record on their travels with Rafa Benítez’s side having taken more points than any other on on the road this season in the division.

Aleksander Mitrovic was on target for the Magpies against Wolves

Newcastle’s 20-goal top-scorer Dwight Gayle is back and available for selection for the trip to East Anglia this evening, Gayle has not played since January 14 due to a hamstring injury.

Should Rafa Benítez decide to include Gayle in his starting XI, Aleksandar Mitrovic could be the one to drop down despite scoring the winner against Wolves at the weekend. One time Ipswich Town striker Daryl Murphy is also available up front but will in all probability start on the bench.

20 goal Dwight Gayle could return for Toon

In other team news for the Toon, Vurnon Anita is recovering from ankle trouble and Rolando Aarons is still out with a long-term knee injury.

Alex Neil’s Match Preview

Alex Neil Previews tonight's game

“We have a point to prove to ourselves that we can be one of the top teams. I’m not sure revenge is the correct word but we will be looking to put that one right,”

“I haven’t mentioned the previous game. There is no need to spice up this one by harping back to what happened at the end of that game.”

“We won 5-1 on Saturday and you won’t hear my going on about that next week. None of that has any bearing on this one.”

“We were 3-1 up, [against Newcastle away] we should have defended better to see the game out. It cost us points, we were disappointed but there was no point crying over spilt milk. The Championship is unforgiving. If you have a hangover when you lose a game that is a problem and we experienced that before Christmas when we lost a lot of points as a result. We have come through the other side so the last thing I want to do is reminiscence about the time we failed to hold onto a lead. Let’s focus on what we are good and be positive.”

“I have had some bizarre games against them, [Newcastle] the last few minutes at our place last season, the 6-2 game up there is probably the most bizarre I have ever been involved in, and the 4-3, which was a bitter one to take. If this one is half as entertaining as the last three it will be a very good game.”

“They are quite resilient. I wouldn’t say they are overly-expansive. They do try to break quickly but they are balanced in their approach. They are not gung ho by any means but our last three games have been very high-scoring affairs. We have scored three goals on two occasions and twice in the other. That is a lot against a team of that quality. I have always said this before, I regard myself as an offensive coach. I set my team out to win a game. That presents decisions and dilemmas because the opposition are going to get chances, but we want to try and impose our style on them.”

Rafa Benítez’s Match Preview

Newcastle boss Rafa Benítez gives his thoughts

“Last season’s game [against Norwich] was a different story. We were in another division and there were a different group of players.”

“One good thing is to remember about the atmosphere and how difficult it can be. The game at home when we beat them with an injury time goal will also be mentioned.”

“In that game, we had a good first half and created three or four chances, in the second half we were lucky but at the same time, the reaction of the players and link with the fans was crucial for me.”

“Working together is important for fans and players. Working together makes a big difference and it showed that night.”

“After the game that result was crucial for us and our confidence. And we have good memories.”

“They [Norwich] have some good players. They are a good team and have a manager with experience he knows the division well, the players have quality and have played in the division, because they have that quality it means they can play.”

“They are playing a little bit more direct now but they are capable of playing on the floor when they have to do it.”

“They have players with ability up front. It will be tough in terms of the atmosphere.”

“It will also be tough in terms of the pace and intensity of the game.”

“At the same time, they also have players who do well on the floor and make the difference.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

WDWWWL

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 65%, drawn 10% and lost 25% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

Newcastle United

WWDLWW

NEWCASTLE AWAY

Newcastle have won 55%, drawn 15% and lost 30% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Newcastle have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 15 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Newcastle have won 11, drawn 3 and lost 6 of these matches.

TEAM STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

In total there have been 55 competitive match ups between these two sides, the Magpies having the upper hand with 24 victories to City’s 16, there have been 15 stalemates.

The first meeting was at St James’ Park on 29th September 1934 in League Division Two, the home side winning the match by 2 goals to nil.

City’s best win against Newcastle to date was on 13th March 1963 in an FA Cup Fourth Round tie at Carrow Road, the match finishing 5-0 to the Canaries.

Newcastle’s biggest victory is a 6-2 win at St James’ Park on 18th October 2015 in the Premier League, this is also the highest aggregate score in this fixture.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Newcastle United 0

Highest Newcastle United Score

Newcastle United 6 Norwich City 2

Highest Aggregate (8)

Newcastle United 6 Norwich City 2

Club Connections

Much travelled striker Craig Bellamy began his playing career with the Canaries

Those to have played for both sides include:

Malcolm Allen, Craig Bellamy, Sebastien Bassong, Albert Bennett, Ollie Burton, Mick Channon (Newcastle loan), Carl Cort, Paul Daglish, Justin Fashanu, Fraser Forster (Norwich loan), Ruel Fox, Jonas Guterriez (Norwich loan), Darren Huckerby, Gary Megson, Scott Parker (Norwich loan), Matty Pattison, Bill Punton, Keith Robson and Antoine Sibierski (Norwich loan).

Chris Hughton has managed both Newcastle and Norwich.

Chris Hughton

Much maligned one time Canaries boss Glenn Roeder also played for and managed Newcastle.

Glenn Roeder in his Newcastle playing days

Did You Know?

Despite an impressive honours list which includes four League Titles and six FA Cup wins, Newcastle’s last major trophy success was way back in 1969 when they won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup beating Hungarian side Újpesti Dózsa 6-2 on aggregate.

St James’ Park has been the home of the Magpies since 1892.

With a capacity of 52,354 St James’ Park is the sixth largest football stadium in England.

TEAM LINE UPS:
    squad.jpg

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

and guest Match Summariser Greg Downs

and don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’ post match
    with Greg and Rob Butler

OTBC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff KIO. 9 out of 10 (1 point deducted for mentioning Roedent!) :grin:

3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Apparently we'll likely lose because Neil was too assertive in his interviews, I have a good feeling about this one, so we'll probably end up losing <wah>

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  4. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Is it on telly ?

5. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

No but I believe it's on Radio 5 Live for those outside the Radio Norfolk catchment area <ok>

6. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

None of the players that played against Florest deserves to be dropped.

This is an interesting one for AN.

I would play the same players as against Florist and try to blow them away. These players deserve and should get another chance to play against Newcastle.

I will quite happily not blame AN if he does that and we lose.

It's either that or we will change completely and play 2 holding mids and play as boring as **** for 70 mins and then bring on Prtichard, Wes and another striker and try and shock and awe at the end.

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm in Spain but have a VPN thing.
    Great thread btw

8. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

As it is not on TV, I am not so sure that I am going to stay awake for this

9. ThaiCanary

For those outside of Norfolk - radio commentary will be here

10. ThaiCanary

I think 5 Live block the Championship games KIO for contractual reasons for oversees listeners (might be wrong)

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

KIO comes on to our board and pretends to "come in peace" and gives a link here.

How long, and I mean how long, did it take to prepare the match thread. Here's a link to some of our recent ones. Note the detail in the starter post. You can ignore the rest of the threads.

http://www.not606.com/threads/wolves-v-magpies.343310/

http://www.not606.com/threads/toon-v-derby.343070/

http://www.not606.com/threads/newcastle-united-v-qpr.342848/

Is KIO trying to embarrass us with this thread? Is he trying to show off?

Barsteward!!!!

<grr>

Seriously, looking forward to a good game. I think we'll try and keep it tight and scrap for a 1-0 or 2-1 but you seem to have found your scoring boots again. Should be fun.

Do you think you've left the revival too late for auto places?

12. DUNCAN DONUTS

Yes & Yes

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Didn't take that long, about 3 hours ;)

We have definitely left it too long for autos mate, we would have to win practically every game between now and the end of the season and that ain't gonna happen.

14. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great thread KIO, as ever, let's hope your mojo is intact. <cheers>

15. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

My mojo is fine Dave so long as I sit still, still in a lot of pain with this busted rib of mine though

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Superb MDT KIO and certainly up to your usual standard.

Fair point re not dropping K E M P anyone who played Saturday, as they ALL played their part in such a convincing victory, but I feel we may well see Tettey and Jerome starting to try and contain the Magpies.
    Team selection is going to be really interesting and my fear is that either Pinto or Dijks won't be fit and Whittaker will play and be overrun!!! <yikes>
    I'd far sooner he played someone like Ramsay from the under 23s.

KIO likes this.
  17. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Brilliant work again KIO. Great detail as always!

Really nervous about tonight. I'd take a draw right now.

KIO likes this.
  18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

OP may need a major edit shortly as it appears a certain Mr Cromer Canary might have misinformed me re match summariser for tonight.
    Upon checking his twitter account I have a feeling it could well be Cedric Anselin.

19. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Don't panic buddy! That's what the Edit button is for!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

20. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I owe Cromer an apology, it's definitely Greg <ok>

Walsh.i.am likes this.