1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City Versus Cardiff City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Sep 9, 2016.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 6

Norwich City 3 - 2 Cardiff City

FT
    HT 1 - 0
    Attendance: 25,519

Date: Saturday 10th September 2016
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Oliver Langford
    Assistants: Neil Davies and Mark Dwyer
    Fourth Official: Alan Young

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Saturday sees Norwich City welcome Cardiff City to Carrow Road in Round 6 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship season. The Bluebirds currently sit in 17th position in the table 3 points and 5 places behind Alex Neil’s Canaries, they have won just one of their opening five games. The Canaries suffered their first defeat of the season in their trip to Birmingham City last time out, an abject performance saw them well beaten by 3 goals to nil.

Alex Tettey shows his frustration as Birmingham celebrate their third goal

Alex Neil’s side are 5 points behind early season pacesetters Huddersfield Town and they will be hoping for a return to form which saw them unbeaten in their first four with 2 wins and 2 draws. It is not a bad start for Norwich but if they are to bounce back to Premier League at the first attempt consistency will be the key.

Canaries Striker Cameron Jerome is set to return to face his old club

Ex Bluebird Cameron Jerome is set to return for Norwich to face his old club with Ivo Pinto, Alex Pritchard and Graham Dorrans also returning to the fold after injury. Tomorrow’s game however has come too soon for John Ruddy and Martin Olsson both of whom remain sidelined.
    Cardiff failed to win any of their last five away fixtures last season and have carried on that form this campaign with draws against Birmingham City and Fulham on their travels. Their home form has stuttered too so far with only one win from three, a 2-1 success against lowly Blackburn Rovers in Round 3.

New Bluebirds Skipper Sean Morrison

On transfer deadline day Bluebirds chief Paul Trollope brought in 34 year old Rickie Lambert from West Bromwich Albion on a two year deal to bolster his strike force and the England International is expected to make his debut up front. Centre Back Sean Morrison takes over the Captain’s armband following David Marshall’s move to Premier League Hull City.

Alex Neil's Match Preview

City boss Alex Neil previews tomorrow's game

"Results-wise we've done ok. Performance-wise, we can get better. Bristol City and Blackburn were the two better performances from us, but other than that we've not performed as well as we'd have liked.”
    "As a group we're a bit frustrated by that, and we want to put it right and play better. We need to pick up more points. It was a disappointing game, the last one.

"The scoreline and the manner of the defeat was really disappointing for everyone, so we need to make sure we go and put that right. This is an important game for us."
    "They play three or five at the back [Cardiff], whatever way you want to look at it."

"With that many numbers behind the ball, they will be hard to break down. It's going to have to take some patience from us, the first goal will be crucial.”

"If we get that, then it will change their mindset in the game and will open the pitch up for us."

Paul Trollope’s Match Preview

At the time of writing no match preview had been given by Paul Trollope

Rickie Lambert’s Match Preview

Paul Trollope Welcomes Rickie Lambert to the Cardiff City Stadium

“I’m used to being the main man and having teams revolve around me. I want the ball to come to me as much as possible. Already I can see that if I can get hold of the ball and turn, I’ve got players around me here that can break the line and create goals for me.”

“I love playing football, but the reason I love playing football is scoring goals – that’s what I’ve done all my career.”
    “When [the deal] did go through I was made up. I couldn’t wait to get into training, for this game to come tomorrow and to get back into a routine of playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.”

“I know that if I do play regular football, the goals will come. I’m hoping that one is going to come tomorrow and I hit the ground running.”

Current Form (Last 5 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

LWDWD

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 5, drawn 2 and lost 1 of the last 8 stagings of this fixture, outscoring their opponents by 13 goals to 6.

Norwich have scored in 70% of their last 20 home games.

Norwich have kept a clean sheet in 30% of their last 20 home games.

Cardiff City

LDWLL

CARDIFF AWAY

Cardiff have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 5 of the last 8 stagings of this fixture, being outscored by their opponents by 13 goals to 6.

Cardiff have scored in 50% of their last 20 away games.

Cardiff have kept a clean sheet in 30% of their last 20 away games.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

There have been 51 competitive meetings between these two clubs, the first was on 19th December 1931 at the Nest in Division Three South (3rd tier) the match ending in a 2-0 victory for the Canaries.
    Norwich have the upper hand in all matches with 28 wins to Cardiff’s 14, there have been 9 stalemates.
    There have been several high scoring encounters between the Canaries and the Bluebirds over the years with Norwich’s best win being a 5-1 victory at Carrow Road in League Division Two (2nd tier) on 14th December 1963. Cardiff recorded their biggest winning margin back on 28th December 1946 in League Division Three South (3rd tier) when they gave the Canaries a 6-1 thrashing at Ninian Park, this is also the highest aggregate score between the two.
    In League fixtures there have only been three goalless draws between the sides, two of these have occurred at Carrow Road.
    The last time the two Cities met was on 17th January 2015 in the Championship (2nd tier) at Carrow Road which resulted in a 3-2 win for the Canaries, Norwich had also beaten the Bluebirds at the Cardiff City Stadium previously that season by 4 goals to 2.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Cardiff City 1

Highest Cardiff City Score

Cardiff City 6 Norwich City 1

Highest Aggregate (7)

Cardiff City 6 Norwich City 1

Club Connections

Those to have played for for both the Canaries and the Bluebirds include:

Tom Adeyemi, Leon Barnett (Cardiff loan), Craig Bellamy, Kevin Cooper (Norwich loan), Rob Earnshaw, Mark Farrington, Steve Grapes, Roger Hansbury, Ross Jack (Cardiff loan), Cameron Jerome, Simon Lappin (Cardiff loan), Alan Lee (Norwich loan), Doug Livermore, David Marshall, Phil Mulryne, Gary O’Neil, Anthony Pilkington, Spencer Prior, Keith Robson, Peter Thorne and Mark Walton.

A young Craig Bellamy in his Norwich City playing days

Current Bluebirds head coach Paul Trollope was assistant to Chris Hughton at Norwich.

Current Canaries scout Alan Durban began his playing career at Cardiff.

Ian Butterworth was assistant manager at both clubs.

Former Canary Malky MacKay also managed the Bluebirds.

Canary playing legend and former Bluebirds boss Malky MacKay

Norwich’s former Academy coach Paul Wilkinson also coached at Cardiff.

Did you know?

In 1959 Norwich City of League Division Three South beat Cardiff City of League Division Two 3-2 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Carrow Road.

Erroll Crossan and Terry Bly celebrate another Cup giant-killing in 1959

In the previous round the Canaries had beaten the ‘Busby Babes’ of Manchester United 3-0 and would go on to knock out Tottenham Hotspur and Sheffield United before eventually losing a semi-final replay to Luton Town.

TEAM LINE UPS:
    To appear here when available

Listen to full match commentary
    on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

and guest Match Summariser Simon Lappin

.... and don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’
    post match with Rob Butler

and 'The King of Spain'

OT
    C !

"

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Nice one KIO - thqnks for all the effort you put in on these! <cheers>

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Agreed RER - pity I can't be there, but will definitely be there for the match V Wigan and should be able to make most of the home games until Xmas at least.

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Well it's my first game of the season tomorrow so contrary to what the OP says, team line ups may 'not appear here when available' :biggrin:

looking forward to meeting Screeny McScreenface <cool>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  5. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Here's hoping Screeny will be fit - most of our other summer signings ain't up to speed yet.

ilovedelia likes this.
  6. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

we (cardiff) have been very average this season.

lambert may make a difference but our team still lacks pace. we pay 3 centre backs who sometimes only have one player to mark.

our only win came against blackburn - a truly awful team. sad to say this but i fully expect a comfortable norwich win. good luck for the rest of the season.... :emoticon-0148-yes:

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Screeny mcscreenface has Scottish heritage.

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Ditto minus Lambert

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Nice one Rich, well done. Let's hope you enjoy your first match with a ngood, positive result! <cheers>

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, enjoy it KIO and hope you at least get a good game.

Does anyone know where AN lives, so we can make sure he gets a copy of today's Daily Express - Leicester boss Ranieri warns Vardy and Mahrez: You're not guaranteed a starting place??
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...-Claudio-Ranieri-Islam-Slimani-Premier-League

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Well done KIO. God knows how this is going to go. I'm worried after our performances this season. Both sides struggle in attack. I'd imagine 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yay, The 'King of Spain' alias Simon Lappin is on co-comms duty on radio Norfolk this afternoon.
    Beef [bless him - wherever he is :( ] will be glued to his tranny! :emoticon-0152-heart

13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Is he in Thailand now too?

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Took me a few nano-seconds, HM, but I got there...eventually ;)

15. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thank's for that Cromer, OP now updated at bottom <ok>

I wondered why Chris Goreham was keeping his co-commentator secret yesterday, it's what you have to do when Royalty are attending games of course <laugh>

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Ok, now off to catch the bus into Norwich so I won't be postiing during the game, unless Carrow Road now has WiFi ?

17. Forgot_My_Lines

Enjoy Mate!

Are you going just for the pre-match Boos? :emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0105-wink:

18. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

It has a shiny new screen, which can rotate, spin, touch it's toes, etc.
    Decent wi-fi is on the back burner until the next transfer window <laugh>

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Things have got to get much worse before I would consider partaking in such activities;)

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  20. Forgot_My_Lines

That's a good boy! :emoticon-0148-yes:<hug>