1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Now that we have an (almost) fully fit squad..

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Feb 7, 2017.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

With the new additions in January, we now have a rather large squad for MM to pick from, with plenty of options, in addition to players coming back to fitness.
    So, we have an almost fully fit squad, who, or what will our best 11 be, and what will our best formation be? (I'll exclude Best, Williams, Coke and the kids that haven't yet had a look in)

GK - Bart / Gerks
    LB - Kundsen / Emmanuel
    RB - Chambers, Kenlock, Spence
    CB - Berra, Smith, Digby, Taylor, Webster
    CM - Skuse, Diagouraga, Bishop, Bru, Douglas, Huws, Dozzell, Hyam
    Wide/For - Ward, Sears, Lawrence, Rowe, McG, Pitman, Moore, Samuel

For me, I'm a big fan of the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation, but only when you have the right wing backs (which, sadly we don't).
    I think with Webster, Smith and Taylor, we have 3 decent CB's, which i'll be happy with (unfortunately for this season, take Webster out for Chambers or Berra)
    Spence, with the little we've seen of him, definitely has potential, and could play the wing back role - unfortunately Chambers and Knudsen, can't. For Emmanuel, I'm still not 100% convinced he'll be a decent player, he looks too chunky and immobile for me. Kenlock, i'll be honest I haven't really seen him play yet.
    In midfield, I think it could be time for Skuse to slowly call it time for us, he doesn't offer enough for me.
    I like the look of Diagouraga, Huws and Bishop in the centre (with Bru, Hyam and Dozzell as subs)
    The wide men, I'd currently go with Ward and Rowe (who could be a special little player) with McG and Lawrence up top. So...

Bart
    Spence
    Chambers/Berra
    Taylor
    Smith
    Rowe
    Diagouraga
    Huws
    Bishop
    McG
    Lawrence

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Ideal first eleven from a fully fit squad would also line up in a 5-3-2 formation:

Bart
    Emmanuel
    Webster
    Taylor
    Smith
    Kenlock
    Diagouraga
    Huws
    Dozzell
    Ward
    Lawrence
    Sears

My thinking is a blend of youth and experience with a solid defence that (hopefully) looks comfortable on the ball. The wing-backs provide pace and an attacking outlet. The central midfield trio look mobile, and the emphasis would be on Dozzell and Huws to push forwards. Lawrence and Ward would provide a wide threat, but also be comfortable coming in central to form a more orthodox attacking trident. I opted for Sears up top, as he is pacey, fits in with the make up of the team, and, with the right instructions, should rediscover his prolific scoring touch. Pitman and McGoldrick are decent players, but I think they'd slow things down too much.

3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

That's a good shout Stretchy, the only thing I'm not sure about is Diagouraga, he looked slow on Saturday and slow to read the game and react, this may change of course with playing time after all he's hardly played since August, let's hope so.

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

January certainly puts us player heavy, but if that means the end of Bru / Douglas and some others then I'm all for that.

Hard to know what line up would be the best!

Scowey likes this.
  5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Probably the conundrum Mick is having right now.. I don't think we'll see too much of Rowe and Moore except for fleeting sub appearances (unless we have another glut of injuries) which is fine as they probably need a longer transition into the squad.

What we do seem to have is options to play a number of systems... 352 / 442 / 433 or even the now fashionable 4231 (basically 433 again)

We've played them all this season with varying success so expect that we'll continue to tinker around with the shape depending on who is available that week or if we pulled out a decent performance the week before