1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T - For Hull City Council

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC, Jan 23, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I know, I've got to say I'm tempted.

2. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

This is probably the only time in the area where cyclist may feel safe on the roads as those of us who cycle most days certainly do not, the privileged few in this race won't have any traffic to deal with, except their own.

3. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Just as you, without the facts of which you have preciously none, are making speculative assertions about it not making money for the area. You haven't a clue whether it would benefit the area or not.

BTW, it is you're.

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Hull City pass holder talks more sense than Terry "it's a rugby town" Geraghty. Who would have thought it.

5. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

I love all this blaming the council....just what would Hull have added to the race ? Cycling through Hull would have been at a snails pace & a pretty grim one too. At least in the ERYC region there is something nice to look at & the chance to give the riders a test. Hull will get quite a benefit to it's hotels etc with no input from HCC

6. Tiger Bruce

Tiger Bruce New Member

Raising the profile of Hull can only be a good thing. Even though the council would have incurred all the logistical costs without any direct repayment, the benefits for the area would have been huge. There would have been an increased number of visitors spending cash, a raised positive profile in the media meaning that the City can get even bigger events attracting more people spending more money and it may even encourage locals to take up cycling, reducing obesity and improving health. As well as attracting visitors it could also attract more businesses basing themselves there too.

Unfortunately Hull is light years behind Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle etc in facilities, tourist attractions, commercial businesses, jobs and should take every opportunity it can to improve.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  7. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

We would be better getting a Hull marathon or similar which would keep the spectators within the City. The TDF was possibly just a blip spectator wise as the old Tour of Britain & milk race were hardly a huge draw

8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Yes we should be able to organise and put on a terrific show for a marathon. Oh wait...

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  9. Tiger Bruce

Tiger Bruce New Member

I agree that this won't remotely attract the spectators like the Tour De France though it will still be televised and for this year only will be a big deal regarding media interest. If a large event such as a marathon were to be within the city it would be brilliant, I just think we need to start somewhere and cycling is in vogue at the moment. Fixing the roads and making the route look nicer would have also been a positive by-product.

10. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

It was the Hull "Fun Size" Marathon.

Barchullona likes this.

11. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

I'm in the **** the bike race for Hull, bicycling has become the must say for show offs, "oh I saw the Tour of France at Hebden Bridge, took me four hours to find a vantage spot but at least I saw someone head for two seconds" the race is good on telly but this one won't be so the benefits to the economy are a guess.

It made me laugh to see middle aged men in Lycra ( peados ) and stupid hats pushing overpriced race bikes around Holderness in the Tour of France aftermath, I mean it's not hard biking round here is it, maybe the organizers didn't really want to race round here because its too flat.

I used to belong Hull Thursday road club in the seventies we used to ride over a hundred miles on a Sunday on a Falcon worth £30, in jeans, sannies and a yellow cape if it pissed down, now they dress up like Boardman to pretend they are him, full kit ****ers

12. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

I have to say i am not quite sure what Hull could add to a cycle race, its a very flat area, not particularly scenic. Maybe a time trial?

13. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Having been to Bridlington recently, I really am struggling to recall what is left from its glory days to encourage anyone to make a return visit, totally the opposite from memory. That may sound harsh and it saddens me to say it, as my family holidays were there , very happy ones too, between much of 1955 - 1965.

14. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I know it's his job, so credit to him for trying, but I've seen the bay and it's just fine, not the best by a long chalk, but fine. So come can someone enlighten me on the good facilities and, more to the point, fantastic hotels and restaurants? Perhaps Bridlington needs a name-change?

15. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

In 1955 both myself and Yardley Tiger worked in the summer as students in the Marlborough Cafe along the esplanade at Bridlington for ten bob a day. I was in the kitchen and Yardley was a waiter. I went back in '56 but in '57 got a job offer of a quid a day at the Welcome Inn in Scarborough so moved on. Loved the pubs and the dances at the Brid Spa.

Only bad memory from '56 was my best mate being stabbed multiple times by a member of a group of Glasgow lads in the Boys Brigade who came there for holidays at that time. He almost died and the perpetrator was a lad aged 13.

Was a member of a schoolmates biking group that used to do trips to Brid, Hornsea, Withernsea and occasionally Scarborough. I was the only one who didn't have a racing bike!

16. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Correct, I don't have a clue (exactly the same as you) hence why I'm not making any assertions but simply stating that the council will have weighed up the pros and cons and decided not to go with it.

The race may well have made money but they have decided to invest their time and budget elsewhere.

It's you that's making assertions based on nothing but ignorance and preconceived notions as usual.

17. Billy Blys Cap

We are getting a HULL MARATHON to be run September this year.HCC have agreed the route and planning is well under way. For full details just search for"Hull Marathon"

18. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Do you know that from personal experience?

19. Tickton Tiger.

Educated decision? Hull City Council? Terry Geraghty? Projected income? Calculated cost?
    That sounds like a question on Pointless.

20. Tickton Tiger.

Will it be a mile short like the last one?