1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

o/t speeding

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DJBlackandamberarmy(No4), Mar 11, 2017.

1. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Advice please , I was travelling home from Manchester in the early hours - an overhead camera got me about 80 which is a fair cop ... I slowed right down to about 68 and a camera got me at the next bridge too ... I checked all around there was no signs for 50 , all 3 lanes were open - but I thought I cant risk anymore and slowed down even further to around 55-60 and 2 other bloody ones got me ..... That's 4 times in 2 minutes ... Will I get banned now or will it count as one speed trap offence? I was diverted off at the Leeds junction and ended up rejoining the m62 through saddle worth , I may have missed a 50 sign as I entered -but I always thought they then were intermittently along the motorway ..... Anybody had a similar thing? Please keep usual pisstaking to a minimum , im a bit concerned about my job!

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

sounds like you've been unlucky. Magistrates can use discretion if they want to but they're not obliged. Have you got any legal cover with AA/RAC membership? It's worth getting proper advice from someone. Good luck.

3. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

No cover I'm afraid - I have read online that if you go to court , with it been one journey and say sorry etc they can let you off with points , just have to keep my fingers crossed for that

4. bashdabish

bashdabish Member

If you are on twitter you could screenshot your post and ask @NWmwaypolice what the likely outcome would be, they normally reply

5. carmen newell

carmen newell Active Member

quite true if you go to court and speak with the magistrates. the clerk is always helpful. I have been collecting points now for 37 years and I have never had a clean license however when I have gone to court and acted in the right way the result has always been in my favour. you may get offered a speed awareness course. there a great laugh (not) and I have done 3 of them. stops you getting points

6. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

i have done one of those recently , so I don't think I qualify ...just hope I don't get banned , and have to redo my test , depends which advice forum you read , that's why I thought I'd come here to the fountain of wisdom ..

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

At least they work then. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

I don't know if there's anything on the links that could help.

https://richardsilver.co.uk/news/ca...journey-how-many-penalty-points-will-you-get/

http://www.pepipoo.com/

8. TigerMarv

TigerMarv Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I believe if you go to court and act in the right way as has already been said and explain that you will lose your job if your licence is taken away they will take this into consideration

9. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

If there's no signage they can't do you for it. It might have been an average speed check camera that got you, they need more than one camera.

10. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

I'm 99.9 sure there wasn't , but starting to wonder if I was just incredibly stupid ... 4 times in 2 minutes , bit embarrassing really , if it wasn't for my job I'd probably be laughing about it ...

11. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

Cannot see you being convicted of the subsequent incidents if there isn't a speed restriction in place. If the cameras are the overhead ones on the gantries they would signal a lowered speed limit. You never know you might get off with all of them. Good luck. Speed limits on motorways are a pain in the arse anyway.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Can you see any signs from the cameras?

https://www.motorwaycameras.co.uk/

13. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Good luck DJ hope it works out. Personally I think you will be OK. maybe just one set of points and fine.

14. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Average speed cameras don't flash, they use number plate recognition.

If the cameras on the gantries flashed at 68 but the sign wasn't displaying 50 then you probably won't get a ticket. If you do, ask them to prove to you that the gantry was displaying 50 at the time of the offence, the onus is on the police to provide that evidence.

For the one you passed at 80, suck it up and take three points. My personal view is that £80 or whatever is better value than a day at some godforsaken speed course. But that obviously wouldn't be my position if I already had nine points on my licence.

I had a driving ban many years ago for totting up. I appealed to the magistrate but it was turned down, they set the bar high back then in terms of the effect in your career - just saying my job will be inconvenienced isn't enough, you need solid proof that you'll be unable to perform your job without a car.

Tread very carefully around most websites that give purport to give advice. They are often written by chippy ABD ****s who think it's ok to break the speed limit for bullshit libertarian reasons.

15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Highly unlikely that you'd get banned under these circumstances, but until you get something from the police, you're not even going to know what the charge will be.

16. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

they will lock you up and throw away the key!
    imagine what would happen if a 6 year old should run out between parked cars!

17. mowds

mowds Well-Known Member

If it's on the smart motorways my understanding is that you will only get done if they are on and there is a speed restiction. A mate of mine said he got flashed doing over 90mph 4 months ago and got nothing when they were off.
    Following on from that the bellend got himself another ticket and a speed awareness course last week, I asked him to ask the course tutor about them, specifically relating to the smart motorway sections. The advice is that most don't result in a ticket when they're off, but some do now.
    Living in Leeds I use the motorways all the time for my job, there are some new style ones that are located on the side of the motorway on the M62 and M1and the camera's are attached to the side of an overhead gantry about 100 yards from the initial camera's, my thoughts were that these might be the newer style ones that get you anyway?

18. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

Do you mean your mate doing 90 made the camera flash but the speed limit signs were off?

19. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

You'll be desperately unlucky to get banned. If the charge is one that gives you the opportunity to go to court I'd do that, best suit and appear repentant!

20. mowds

mowds Well-Known Member

Yep. He was already on 9 points so was bricking it, they were the overhead ones as well, 10pm at night and smart motorway switched off. You might be ok.