1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Oh What A Night Pilgrims v Chairboys 30th January 2016

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cider is Somerset Guywanderer. Clearly you haven't wanderered far enough to know that. :emoticon-0148-yes::confused:glad to educate.

2. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Sorry it must have been something in the water:eek:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

well isnt this a fun thread to come back to <laugh>

I wasnt at the game so theres not a lot i can comment on. However im going to disagree with a couple of things - firstly i cant understand why plymouth want the goal disallowed, it was scrappy sure but nothing illigal about it.
    Secondly ainsworth has not covered himself in glory at all there, he needs to just shake the guys hand and get on with it. However as a manager it is very rare you will see him act like that at full time, so adams must have said/done something. Ainsworth should have risen above it and just shook his hand anyway, and stopping him from shaking dobsons hand was out of order, but i dont think you can call either party innocent here.

As for the timewasting its something we get accused of a lot, and whilst we are bad for it there are many teams that are just as bad (i seem to recall plymouth at AP being pretty poor for it). Its up to the referee to stamp these things out, and you cannot realistically expect a team 1-0 up away from home against one of the best teams in the league to want to get the game flowing quickly. Of course we will slow it down, as im sure the majority of other sides would have done.

Having seen the replay of the penitential penalty, I can certainly understand plymouth fans frustrations. However to not really test a 46 year old keeper who hasnt played for a decade, Plymouth only have themselves to blame for the defeat, and some of the comments coming off Adams, the plymouth fans and the supposidly official Plymouth twitter feed just stink of bitterness

Ron likes this.
  4. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Well said Jose

josewwfc and Ron like this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nicely summed up Jose. I think that if I were a Plymouth fan I would be more pissed off about my team being incapable of putting the ball in the net, to be honest, however many minutes the ball was in play. Losing to a crap team who beat Millwall, the mighty Oxford (cough) and outplayed Aston Villa about 75% of the time over 180 mins, must really hurt.

josewwfc likes this.
  6. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Having watched the highlights several times I can't see what all the fuss is about with our goal.maybe from behind the goal it might have looked different. As for ainsworth he should have shook his hand at the end .but thinking back to the play off final and the penalty shoot out both managers stood together which I cant ever recall seeing before which just goes to prove something must have upset Gareth in the Plymouth game for him to react in such a way .

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In some aspects you are right jose but in others you aren't I'm affraid. There are a number of comments I've read on Plymouth sites that are frankly stupid and there should be no place for them. This is the only Wycombe one I've read and no doubt there are a few choice comments on some of them as well. Being abusive is pointless. The one thing I've consistently said is we did indeed help our own downfall and should have won regardless.

The goal. Admittedly from the angle it is shown at it just looks like a scramble. But, if you could see it from the other side you might just see why the claim is it should not have stood. Even with tints on. The kick should not have been taken for a start. Your players were up to all sorts which the lino must have seen unless his guide dog got in the way. There was so much obstruction going on it was more like an Orgy in there. The Ref should have stopped it and sorted that out. He consistently did nothing all afternoon. The officials were not worthy of the name all game. Referee was so biasedly inconsistent it was embarrassing. We all think Refs are crap at times but this bloke was absolutely the worst I have ever seen. I've also seen the penalty shout since as well and it was a stonewall penalty every day. I didn't even notice on the day how nailed on it was if honest. I was so busy exploding.

Tactics are fine up to a point. Slowing a game down and taking a bit of time is also fine even if it winds the losing side up. Every team has done this at some point in the past. I have no idea what your reputation is for it but you yourself have said it has been "pointed out" previously so I'm assuming from that it is normal not an exception. There is slowing a game down and there is slowing a game down to the point there wasn't even a game going on. It was embarrassing and if it had been my lot doing that to that extent then I would have left the stadium. Your players hit the deck so often I thought their legs had come off. Your keeper seemed to have joined in but after a lengthy stop he was doing squats and jumping up and down quite freely. Within seconds he went down again clutching all sorts of places. You just might have thought it was another pee take had you been there. No excuse to boo him on a stretcher by some morons though and I don't condone that. I do think that was frustration rather than malice though. The Referee looked at his watch about 20 or more times making it clear to you players he knew what they were doing. However he failed to do anything about any of it which was consistent with the rest of his day. It was his fault it went on so badly and your players just got worse and worse at it. Or, better and better depending on your viewpoint of whether it is legitimate or not. You cannot convince me that teams who practice this regularly are not schooled to do it which is down to your Manager.

I've read a bit about us being "unsporting" which is an interesting take on the game. We should have put the ball out when your keeper went down. Your keeper kicked the ball towards touch and hit the deck. Your back kept it in play and tried to play it off our winger into touch when he could have just left it to go out. Our winger beat him and headed goalwards with people trying to tell him to stop. Your people may I add not ours. It was your own players fault for playing on not our's. We missed anyway when it was easier to score it didn't matter anyway. We should have scored many times but managed to cock that up everytime. That was our fault not your's but if we had your team would have had to have changed so in that respect it was partly down to us.

You all seem to want to put the blame for the match end down to our Manager despite the evidence that is on show for all to see. I have no doubt he had a few words to say during the game. Who wouldn't given what was going on and the inept officials to contend with as well. But, at the end he quite clearly, despite any provocation he must have felt during the game, tried to shake your man's hand. The reaction he got is there on camera. Ainsworth has tried to deflect any blame from himself for what happened and frankly is peeing in the wind as are your people if they think he was right in what he did or remotely innocent. There is no excuse for his behaviour. This "he must have been provoked" thing is rediculous and Wycombe are attempting to defend the indefensible. There is no eveidence anywhere to say it was Adam's fault and any jury anywhere would find against Ainsworth all day long. No sour grapes from me just total annoyance that I had to sit through that excuse for a football match and officials who should be sacked and not get their fee at least.

Now, all of you have a beer and pasty (not ginsters by the way they don't qualify) in your Weatherspoon's and send me the tab. When I've finished falling down and rolling on the floor for an hour or two I will settle it.<cheers>

8. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

I confirm that! :emoticon-0105-wink: <cheers>

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We are all agreed on one thing. The Ref was a disgrace. I was only listening to the Wycombe commentators and they were constantly saying he couldn't keep up with play and clearly wasn't up to it. My other recollection of the commentary is that we did actually play some good football at times and could have scored a couple more and Plymouth should have had a hat full. Plymouth were the better side, should have won but didn't. We've had games like that. We just have to put them behind us and win the next game. So good luck against Yeovil. <cheers>

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Right, have had enough of all this now. Sill mightily grumpy about the events of Saturday (which I guess just demonstrates how unsatisfactory the day was) but am not going to pick over every aspect again-there has already been an awful lot of offensive rubbish written(mainly in other places). However, from my perspective the following are my thoughts and are hopefully fairly objective.

1. The ref ruined the match from start to finish, and his incompetence resulted in most of less savory aspects of the day.
    2. A foul (or at least a delay in the taking of the corner) should have been awarded due to the shenanigans on the goal line prior to the 'goal' being scored. NB you don't see any or this on the highlights.
    3. Once they went ahead, WW were allowed to mange the match (fair means and foul) to secure the three points.
    4. Argyle lacked the tactical nouse/ability to overcome a side with less technical ability but more spirit.
    5. Argyle should have had a penalty.
    6. The ref should have stopped the match if he thought the keeper had a serious injury-he didn't so it was fair enough for Reid to have made his pathetic attempt on goal(not sure what would have happened had he scored-probably a mass brawl and match abandoned!)
    7. There is no, and never can be, any excuse for the appalling behavior of some Argyle 'fans' towards the WW keeper as he was stretchered off. I wish him well in his recovery.
    8. PCH should never have been booked for his tackle on one of ours.
    9. The chest high double footed flying challenge by the WW player early on should at least have been a yellow-not making contact is irrelevant as it is all about intent these days.
    10. I dont like Hayles- he has little ability but achieves some limited success through bullying anyone he can.
    11. The pitch was dreadful.
    12. I have no doubt that Adams wound up Ainsworth during the match but equally I doubt it was anything particularly offensive. He is after all a non swearing, non drinking, man of religious belief. Whatever the provocation, Ainsworth's reaction was childish, likely to incite violence(it did) and embarrassing (for him). Given that he had just taken 3 points one would think he ought to be able to rise above it-all players and officials are required by the rules to act professionally and be suitable role models-in this respect he very much failed.
    13. I still think Argyle will get automatic promotion.
    14. I suspect WW will finish in the play offs at best.
    15. Football was the loser-what should have been a decent game never got the chance to get going
    15. Both clubs will probably end up with a fine they can't afford

Time to draw a line under what was a very unsatisfactory day all round. Each set of fans will naturally continue to have their own perspective but apart from whatever the FA decide is appropriate, it is all over with-lets move on and hope we don't meet each other again this season.!

Ron and Guywanderer like this.

11. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Well put Lyndhurst lets put this game to bed now and move on as none of us Chairboys on here were at the game and without a full dvd of the game available we can offer little in the way of comments

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice way to finish off <cheers>

13. Rocky blue army

No it ain't I want an argument <laugh>

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I should have known Rocky <laugh>

How are you mate?

15. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Sorry, but I'm all argued out. Have a look on PASOTI if you like- you wont get much rationality though.!

16. Rocky blue army

Been a bit rough lately but soldiering on wycombe result and the spurs riding high making me feel better. Hope you and the family are all ok mate

17. Rocky blue army

Only joking mate enough has been said <cheers>

Ron likes this.
  18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yea OK Rocky. Managed to get over for the 2 Villa games. Something else that must cheer you up:

upload_2016-2-2_22-40-15.png

Oh dear. Not sure what would be best, Swapping places or doing the double over them next season <laugh>

Haven't heard from Mike lately <laugh>

I hope you are making progress. I've not been over much since the mother-in-law died but if I get over in the summer maybe meet up for a quiet drink (or earlier if we make the play offs). All the best to you and family.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh no it hasn't. Lyndhrst get off the thread, I'm trying to teach these northerners the ethics of football for christ sake. Now where was I.........

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator