1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oldham Athletic Vs The Gas Game Thread And Poll

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Oct 20, 2016.

?

Final Score

Poll closed Oct 22, 2016.
  1. Gas Win

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Oldham Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Score Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Goalless Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not sure but we will go behind

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    VS
    please log in to view this image

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

All build up to Saturdays game will appear on this thread its also the Matchday thread <ok>

The poll will close on Oct 22nd at 10:07 AM <ok>

You may change your vote if you wish <ok>

3. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Tickets for Bristol Rovers next fixture at Oldham Athletic are on sale and supporters can save money by buying in advance.

Darrell Clarke's men will travel to SportsDirect.com Park on Saturday 22nd October and tickets will be available for General Sale.

Advance Ticket Prices

Adults - £20.00
    Senior Citizens (over 65) - £10.00
    Juniors (under-16's) - £10.00
    Under-12's - £5.00 (when accompanied by an adult)

The club have been allocated a maximum number of tickets of 3,574 for the fixture, with Pay on the Day an option (subject to availability) at an additional cost.

Pay on the Day Ticket Prices

Adults - £24.00
    Senior Citizens (over 65) - £12.00
    Juniors (under-16's) - £10.00
    Under-12's - £5.00 (when accompanied by an adult)

Anyone who requires a wheelchair or Ambulant disabled should contact the clubs Ticket Office Manager Clare McDonagh direct on 0117 952 4001.

4. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I was at this game. Could it happen again? Yes most definitely :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Saturday 27th September 1997 - Oldham 4 - 4 Gas - League Division Two

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

£24.00 !!... and what happened to Boundary Park ?

6. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Last Meeting

Saturday 19th February 2011 - Gas 1 - 0 Oldham - League 2

Record @Oldham

PLD 26 W 6 D 5 L 15 GF 34 GA 52

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Redeveloped <ok>

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I was there too. I remember the stand where the away end was, was split in half where the home fans had half and we had the other half. I remember as clear as day where the home fans were taunting us after going 1-0 down and then 2-0 down and then 3-0 down. However, we never stopped singing and they were silent when we made it 3-3. They literally were silent and we were giving them so much stick. But then they went 4-3 up and they started being vocal again. "You only sing when you're winning" chants came from us. Then we made it 4-4 and we were going mental. Although we didnt win, I had a great day. I was just a kid but loved the atmosphere. It was brilliant.

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im predicting an away win. I just hope where we have to keep fighting to the very end in games that it doesnt make us fatigued.

They beat Scunny on Tuesday which as we know isnt an easy thing to do and they were at the bottom too. So that was a great result. This could be harder than we think.

But if we start fast and and get the early goal, I think we can win by a good 3 or 4 goals.

10. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Hopefully a clean sheet this time and a tidy victory...

11. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

A clean sheet would be a novelty but that's not how we roll! Oldham will probably score first and will hold on till half time. We will start the 2nd half strongly and will eventually break them down and equalise just before the hour mark. A frenzied last half hour will see the game fairly even until we pinch a second goal with less than 10 minutes left. Oldham will throw everything at us but we hold on resiliently and win the game 2-1. Onwards and upwards!

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im not on other forums, so if any are you are, can someone post this youtube page on it please? It looks like someone will either be streaming our game live to watch or streaming the radio coverage. If it it to watch, then a lot of people may want to know about this and if it is to listen then those not on the Bristol area who cant get radio Bristol coverage may want to know about this <ok>

13. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I'm only of this forum :emoticon-0148-yes: good link though :emoticon-0148-yes:

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  14. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I also went to the midweek game on a Tuesday in 1999 a 2-1 defeat all I remember from that was the fact I had the week off:emoticon-0148-yes:

The 1997/98 is a season I remember fondly and is still one of favourites as a Gashead shame how it ended though :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Gerry Prewett

This weekend Bristol Rovers head up the M5/M6 to Greater Manchester to face an Oldham Athletic team which is struggling to put a decent run of form together.

As Rovers were putting in a sensational result together at MK Dons the Latics took leaders Scunthorpe United by surprise to complete a 2-0 win.

On 30 minutes they had a strong penalty claim turned down by referee Darren England. Ryan Flynn received the ball in the box and went down but the referee waved play on. Five minutes later, the Iron had their own claim for a penalty when Neal Bishop went to ground but again the referee was unimpressed and booked Bishop for his failure to accept the decision.

The Latics took the lead on 42 minutes, as the ball reached Crystal Palace loanee Freddie Ladapo on the edge of the box, he created room to get his shot ball past Joe Anyon in the United goal. As the first minute of added time was signalled Lee Erwin doubled the score as he cut inside curled it around Anyon

That first half performance matched their goal tally from their previous six home games.

Speaking after the game Athletic Boss Steve Robinson commented "It was scrappy in the first 10 minutes but once we settled down you could see the belief in the players grow. When we scored when we were on top, you could see the belief grow even more and we could have gone on and won by more in the end.”

"I don't know if it will be a turning point for us because our performances have actually been very good. We've only lost two games away from home all season. It's goals that have been our problem, there's no secret about that.”

"We've had one or two performances at home that we weren't happy with, but we are still building and getting to know the players. We were still recruiting six weeks after everybody else so we are very happy with what we've put together."

Over the years there have been some remarkable games between the Gas and the Latics; 56 in total with 19 Oldham victories, 23 to Rovers and 14 draws. Only 5 of those games have been 0–0 and in one remarkable instance was 4-4.

The first meeting was in the FA Cup on 14 December 1935 as the teams tied 1-1 at Boundary Park, Rovers won the replay 4-1 at Eastville with a Phil Taylor hat-trick.

The first League meeting took place on 16 April 1954 with Rovers winning 1-0 at Eastville with a George Petherbridge goal. Three days later the teams drew 0-0 at Boundary Park.

In the 1967-68 season the goals really flowed in this fixture. Rovers won the home tie in front of a 6,864 crowd on 17 February 1968, 4-3 with goals by Alfie Biggs (2) and Johnny Williams (2, 1 penalty) for the home team and Tony Towers (2) and Laurie Sheffield (who had been on Rovers books at one stage without ever getting a game, he went on to score 132 goals in a 281 game career). Oldham had gone ahead in the game but with 11 minutes left, Rovers were 3-1 up. Towers then scored and Sheffield equalised before Biggs headed his second.

At Boundary Park in the final game of the season there were even more goals as Bobby Jones (2), Wayne Jones, Harold Jarman and Stuart Taylor for the away team and an Ian Wood hat-trick for the home team led to a 5-3 away win.

Wayne Jones scored after 11 minutes and quarter of an hour later Bobby Jones doubled the lead. Wood then scored in the 53rd and 58th minutes to level the scores, but Taylor quickly restored Rovers lead. In the 78th minutes Wood completed his hat-trick and once again brought the scores level. Bobby Jones responded immediately and with just 8 minutes of the season left Jarman put the icing on the cake.

That 4-4 draw was on 27 September 1997, in front of a 5,990 crowd. A rampant Oldham team raced into a 3-0 lead, within the first half hour, with goals by Barlow (8 mins and 23 mins) and McCarthy (25 mins). 15 minutes later and Rovers had pegged it back to 3-3 with Beadle (30 mins and 33 mins) and Hayles (45 mins) scoring. Oldham retook the lead with a 59th minute goal by Garner but Rovers were not finished, Cureton slammed home a penalty in the 87th minute.

In 2008-09 Rovers completed a 2-0 double over the Latics which bettered the previous season’s 1-0 double! Prior to that Rovers’ last victory at Boundary Park was on 26 February 2000 as Rovers raced towards what appeared to be a certain automatic promotion.

Goals by Cureton (4 mins and 6 mins, penalty) and Astafjevs (11 mins) seemed to have sown the game up for Rovers within the first 15 minutes. A further goal by Thomson (48 mins) just after half time gave the Gas an unassailable lead and Oldham’s only response was a goal by Dudley in the 67th minute.

The last meeting in Greater Manchester was on 4 September 2010 as the team shared a 1-1 draw with Chris Taylor scoring for the Latics and Will Hoskins for the Gas. Rovers won the home tie 1-0 on 19 February with a Rene Howe goal.

Speaking after Tuesday’s game midfielder Ryan Flynn commented, "It was a really good win. I think bar the first 10 or 15 minutes we were far the better team throughout and we thoroughly deserved the three points tonight.”

“We had to work for the goals and it was very good football as we played right through them and it was two great finishes. We spoke about it on Saturday, performances weren’t that bad and goals change games and that’s what happened tonight.”

"We’ve got to take this performance into Saturday so we’ll rest up. I thought the fans stuck by us throughout the whole game, even in the first 20 minutes when it was a big edgy for us but we got through that and they definitely helped.”

Talking about their progress this season he noted, “It took a little bit longer than we had hoped but I think that’s because of the results as I think the performances has been good. It was a good performance tonight and hopefully we can take that into Saturday’s game."

Manager Robinson added, “Scunthorpe have run away with the league so far, they are four points clear and are a really good side but for us to take three points off them, we are delighted.”

“We took a little time to settle but when we did we broke through their press and I thought we had undoubted quality for over 60 minutes of the game. We have played better than that and not won games but we genuinely believe in the dressing room and amongst the coaching staff that we could get something tonight and we did."

“The football leading up to the first goal was fantastic. There are 10 or 15 different passes that were involved and it was a super finish. Lee Erwin, we know what kind of quality he has got and we are always demanding more from him. When he holds the ball up, has good work rate and when he plays like that sometimes he is unplayable so we are delighted with the result and goals definitely change games.”

“It’s been a noose around our neck to get the first win at home in the league so it was good to get it against a team like Scunthorpe United. Our performance against Bolton was good for 80% of the game, as was Gillingham and Fleetwood, but there is a lot of belief.

“Luck is a massive part of this game and we haven’t quite had it but it takes time for the understanding of the players to come across. This is only the start, we believe we can put a little run together and we have another game at home on Saturday before Rochdale away so we need to build on today’s result."

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Twitter and a lot of other internet services are down at the moment due to a cyber attack. I hope its back up and running by tomorrows game.

18. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

I have happy memories at Oldham. I remember going there last game of season in the late 1960s. Rovers had nothing to play
    for and they put on a brilliant display winning 5-4 or 4-3. I remember Harold Jarman having a brilliant game. At the end of the game they gave out the result of Man City winning away. The home crowd went wild. I think Man City had won the league and I have always believed Man City to be Oldhams second team. Happy days.

19. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I remember a big sign on the way into the town which said "Oldham, home of the tubular bandage"!

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Twitter back up and running now. I couldnt get on it for ages and google search was saying been involved in a cyber attack. I guess all is fine now.