1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

On this day...

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

1995, on this day our last meaningful cup run ended in the quarter-final at Old Trafford...

UTRs likes this.
  2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the day that we notified Paul Ince that he was a wa-a-nker.

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Been a bit lost in the news today, but 21 years ago this tragedy happened.....

The Dunblane school massacre was the deadliest mass shooting in the UK's history, when gunman Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and one teacher at Dunblane Primary School near Stirling, Scotland, on 13 March 1996, before killing himself.

4. Sooperhoop

Was that at Andy Murray's school?...

5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I remember that day really well, for the wrong reasons. I was working for a radio station (not a big named one) and I had to do the news bulletin for the evening. I had recently become a father and was close to tears when the news came in earlier, then I found out I had to read the news. To say I was gutted reading it out would be an understatement. I am glad I have forgotten his name because I don't want to remember it.

7. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

I remember that day. We were in the ground for over an hour before kick off. I sang for that hour and the entire game. When we got up to leave, I vomited and blacked out.

Good memories.

8. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On this day 84 years ago both Michael Caine and Qunicy Jones were born....the connection is that Quincy Jones wrote the music for "On Days Like These" being the title track from the original Italian Job starring Michael Caine......and not a lot of people know that.....

Sooperhoop and Wherever like this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Same as, I left HQ with the 21 coaches. Got to the ground early and was amazed at our support (7/8K) for a Sunday game. If my memory is correct Les had a late fitness and I think he played injured? We also had someone else that was essential to the team out (Bradley Allen)? Never forget that Sharp goal and him going over to that flag and pretending to sing. Likewise Irwin free kick I won't forget.

10. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

I was living in stretford while I was at Manchester uni at the time, in a house load of united. Went to the game and they had a big painted sheet out the front of the house when I got back. It's making me seethe just thinking about that and the game. So glad when sharpe faded from the game: because of that celebration. Was so annoyed we ended up drawing them, even though it was local. Plenty of **** teams in that round IIRC.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone remembers the 2 games previous on that FA cup run. The game before was Millwall at home and Clive Wilson scored a late pen. I was surrounded by loads of wall and it wasn't pretty. And before that I seem to remember beating West ham at home. Now am I dreaming this or is my memory still spot on?

12. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Correct. Impey scored in the 1-0 win v West Ham. In the 3rd round we beat Aylesbury United 4-0 at home. It's quite interesting to see that the attendance for the Man U game was just under 43,000 for an FA Cup QF.

13. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I remember the millwall game, took my niece 9 to her first ever game, was also surrounded by 'wall supporters in the elleslie got up when pen awarded, stopped at the exit, 1-0 and out

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

of course mate Aylesbury! loads of their fans dressed up as ducks (I kid you not).

qprbeth and QPR999 like this.
  15. Sooperhoop

On this day ten years ago the mysterious death of Bob Woolmer the fomer England cricketer and then Pakistan coach at the 2007 World Cup in Jamaica. It came shortly after Pakistan's shock exit after losing to Ireland and at the time was treated as murder by the initial police investigation. This makes a fascinating read...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39282939

16. Sooperhoop

And for those of us old enough to remember, 50 years ago today the super-tanker Torrey Canyon ran aground just off The Scilly Isles carrying 100,000 tons of crude oil and over 70 miles of Cornish beaches were coated in what was one of the biggest ever environmental disasters.

It was later revealed that the ship had received a 'cut and shut' job to double it's carrying capacity which contributed to it breaking up into three pieces, also failings in the 'autopilot' and steering mechanism contributed to the disaster. This history channel segment repeats at halfway but the first part shows just how preventable the whole disaster was...

17. Sooperhoop

100 years ago today, Dame Vera Lynn, the inspiration of our forces in World War 2 was born. Many happy returns for a true star with the common touch...

Ninj, kiwiqpr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Aylesbury Town...
    I had the closest ever mixed loyalties that day. We live in Haddenham home of the Aylesbury Duck. It was Aylesbury I first took my girls in attempt to get them intetrested in football...and they were goodish then too

Yes when they came to QPR many fans dressed as ducks (I wore a duck hat/with my QPR shirt...to sort of show joint support)...
    I was so willing the Ducks to score....as when they did they always celebrated with the infamous "Duck Waddle" see picture

It was certainly the highlight of Aylesbury town FC, soon after they were thrown off their ground, and now are still homeless and palaying even closer to me in Thame. Theyare playing in the Evo-Stik Southern Division 1 Central (whatever that is).

Still hoping to get back to Aylesbury and build a stadium of their own

please log in to view this image

finglasqpr and ELLERS like this.
  19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A true National Treasure.........

Ninj, finglasqpr and UTRs like this.
  20. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

A true national British Treasure with strong Irish heritage.