1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - Anyone know anything about the tunnels under Ferensway?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 19, 2013.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Apparently, there's a large network of rooms and tunnels under Paragaon Station, that run under Ferensway, leading to basements in various buildings.

I believe they were used as air raid shelters during the war and they were used to get VIP's from the station into the ABC and a couple of other places. Some of the rooms were converted into station toilets at some point and I believe one was also a barbers.

Anyone know any details?

please log in to view this image

2. TygerTyger

TygerTyger Well-Known Member

Are you the Phantom of The Opera?

3. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Where did you find those pics, No.1?

4. theo's odd boots

Your correct OLM. I work at royal hotel in town, and you can indeed walk around the tunnels. There is a tunnel all the way to hull docks. And under the hotel is an old jail used in the early 1900s. And again you are right in saying it was last used in the war. All other entries have been concreted over. Its amazing down there!!

5. suttontiger

suttontiger Active Member

I know there were underground basements/shelters to the buildings that stood on where Gosschalks building now stands on Dock Street that I believe may have connected to the building where QG Police HQ stands and possibly linked to the Guildhall.

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Someone posted a picture on one of the Hull Facebook pages(either Backtrack Hull or Hull The Good Old Days) and it got me interested, so I googled to find some more images.

7. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Thanks for that, I've seen comments from people who worked on St.Stephens and I know the old tunnels to the ABC were bricked up and I've also seen suggestions that the tunnels went to the City Hall and were used by visiting politicians during the war and the odd royal making an official visit, but I didn't realise they went all the way to the docks.

I'd love to have a look down there, maybe as part of the City Of Culture bid we could look to get parts of it open as a tourist attraction, maybe as part of a war memorial and site to recognise the sacrifices made by the people of Hull during WW2.

8. theo's odd boots

The hotel had a ghost hunt down there with whats-her-name from most haunted, we packed the hotel out but haven't done one since (probably due to lack of ghosts!) but at the moment we just lock a door and hide it away. I remember speaking to our GM it has potential to be a huge tourist attraction, and with us being a hotel it would basically mean endless full rooms. However he wasn't to kean on the idea. Feel free to contact the hotel and ask about it and ask to come have a look one day. They can only say no eh?

9. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Cheers - found the Facebook entries; but nowt on Google, so far. <ok>

10. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Either with or without the COC bid, I agree, that is a frigging AWESOME idea.

11. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

12. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

13. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

It probably can't be done OLM, in the village where I grew up there was a very similar tunnel network running between the school, church, manor (now a hotel), bank and all the important houses. They're concreted shut for a reason, they are very very unsafe, and probably most parts will have collapsed. The only entrance left open now is the hotel entrance, which only goes about 20 feet in until its blocked by a previous collapse. Apparently the hotel and residents with entrances in their cellars of their houses have enquired about getting parts reopened to use as storage but it just can't be done as its too unsafe.

14. Barmbys_Tan

Barmbys_Tan Well-Known Member

Haven't they done something similar in Edinburgh and opened it up as a tourist attraction? It's like £20 a pop and always seems to get a crowd

15. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Correct Suttontiger I worked on the building of Gosschalks and spent some time in those tunnels which stretched for a fair way in many directions. I was told at the time that they housed Hull's communication and political work places during the war. Surprisingly dry and wide but many tunnels that lead to actual buildings like Queens Gardens Police Station, had been sealed up, a fascinating insight to a part of Hull I didn't know existed.

16. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

Isnt Whitefriargate also hiding lots of tunnels n crypts of some sort ?

17. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

These look really interesting - if you ever arrange for access to the tunnels, it'd be good if a mini event could be arranged as I would love to explore them too.

Also agree that it'd make a great, quirky tourist attraction - It'd be good to get a 'Time Team' style group with expertise in this sort of thing to use GPS to map out the entire 'accessible' route of the tunnels - I bet there is a whole host of history behind them that could be told to tourists. Imagine if they were used by the likes of Queen Victoria and perhaps The Beatles?

Once the entire route has been mapped out, plans could then be made to make the tunnels 'secure' and add some lighting with a few interactive features regarding the tunnels history, and bam - you've got yourself a ready made tourist attraction.

There is also a tunnel that runs under The Sailmakers Arms on High St (tunnels that pre-date WWI & WWII by a long way apparently) - I've been told they go to 2 different places, I remember one is to Holy Trinity Church - I've heard two different stories, one about how it was used during the civil war and another that I can only vaguely remember - something to do religion were vicars had to escape attack.

18. JoelTheTiger

JoelTheTiger Well-Known Member

I have visited that, and it is very fascinating. It's set back from the main street and was busy when I went. Down there it is quite good, and I got a tour of everything and some rooms were set up how they'd have been used back in the day. Be a great thing if it could happen.

19. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It seems that for many years, it was believed that there were also a series of tunnels under the Old Town, which linked various pubs to the docks, for the purposes of smuggling.

This seems to be an urban myth that grew when the various tunnels under other parts of the city centre were accessed by people during bombing raids in WW2.

From the few bits and bobs that I have managed to find, it seems that most of them have been bricked up, so I'm not actually sure if there's that many that can be accessed. If there is any area that's likely to be usable it's probably the stuff under Paragon Station/Royal Hotel, as there's been little in the way of development there, other than the station frontage.

I'm going to see what I can find out from a property developer mate of mine, he's done extensive works in Hull and probably has some idea what's down there.

20. Barmbys_Tan

Barmbys_Tan Well-Known Member

Wonder if theres any mysteries, artifacts, antiques or dead bodys down there....bet you could find some great stuff