1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Yeah the trouble is that it goes onto no-balls in Test matches or corners conceded direct from the kick-off and all sorts of apparent irrelevancies.

Next, there's a knock on a goalkeeper's door and someone says " I represent certain Eastern European business interests who have a strong feeling your team will lose 2-1 on Saturday and that the winning goal will come from a penalty. They will be very upset if they're wrong and they are aware you've broken betting rules before."

It's a slippery slope and rules is rules.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I get all that notdistant but this was a fat keeper aged over 40 eating a pie. Not a throw in or a penalty or an own goal or any other kind of goal. This has to be a set up by the shirt sponsors surely. How often have you stood in the doorway of a bookies thinking "I wonder if they give odds on snacks during games". I do it every Saturday on the way to the match but I've never won yet. I missed this one damn it.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I expect we are going to get bored to death over Rooney going to China...is he or isn't he.....next week or end of the season.....he wants to play in one more Cup Final.....then it will be is he getting a quarter/half/three quarters/a £million a week......I honestly don't care.....just make sure it's a one way ticket please.....:headbang:.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rooney says that he is staying at Man U....damn.....<grr>.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

True to what you said origninally Plym. I simply don't care if he goes, stays or grabs a granny.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Why does he not go to North Korea :emoticon-0145-shake

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Much more shocking is the sacking of Claudio from Leicester. If ever you needed proof that there is no loyalty in football then there you have it in one incident. Not that we need reminding of course. There is a guy who led a club to the greatest prize it has ever achieved and the greatest riches it would ever earn and in less than one season since the deed he is gone. Hero to the dole queue in one movement. Is anyone else going to save them? I doubt it.

8. notDistantGreen

Player power again in part, as per Chelsea. Notable that Leicester have done quite well in the Champions League but bombed in the PL. Has to be about attitude.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Claudio Ranieri was given the kiss of death a fortnight ago by the clubs Thai owners...who said that his job was safe....hmm we've all heard that one before.

For a Club like Leicester to follow up last years mind blowing success with something similar was never on the cards....their playing resources couldn't cope with the intensity required to compete at that high level two years in a row.

With Chelsea gobbling up N'Golo Kant'e last summer they lost such an influential player who I feel was the bedrock of the team......even at Chelsea with their array of stars he has been obviously a tower of strength in their success this season.

Steve Walsh who discovered the likes of Cant'e, Riyad Mahrez, and Jamie Vardy left to become the Director of Football at Everton showing that there was probably friction at the top of management at Leicester.....recruitment has become a disaster area this season spending £60 million on the likes of Musa, Slimani, Mendy, Zieler and Hernandez (who has already left).......the January window saw Ndidi and Wagu'e come in ....£15 million spent on players who personally where not up to it.....Ranieri was disappointed that he didn't bring in a top centre-half.....he wanted Burnley's Michael Keane in the summer....but the Club wouldn't pay £25 million for him.

So from Premiership manager of the year for 2015/16 and a new Leicester contract worth £3 million a year and FIFA manager of the year...He ends up being sacked less than 24 hrs after returning from a 2-1 defeat in the Champions League at Sevilla.

Things have been hard this year with the team being a poor shadow of last season.....Ranieri has tried things this season that seemed to confuse the team as he has tried to reverse fortunes....but only succeeding in losing the dressing room.....his players haven't performed for him at all.

Even so to cast out the man who kept them in the Premiership with a tremendous finish to the 2014/15 season and then taking them to utopia.....and success beyond their wildest dreams just shows that foreign/any owners have no class at all...it's just the dread of falling out of the mega rich jack-pot that is the Premiership.

Such a honest likable man who deserves better than this.

10. Greenarmyjoe

They may end up in league 2 sooner than we think,,,

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oh well, last weekend of freedom for me. After applying for dozens of jobs and having about 10 interviews, 8 of which I lost out to the internal candidate I've been headhunted and start a new job on a temporary/trial basis on Monday. Just shows it is all about who you know and not what you know. Can't say much more for now as there is a confidentiality agreement attached to the post. Going to be a bit bizarre going to work after the best part of 12 months doing whatever I fancy.
    As a side issue, the Armed forces veteran's agency have finally decided that I am 20% disabled-only took them 10 months despite me providing all the independent evidence that I need a knee replacement and am deaf in one ear and wear a deaf aid. I now get free prescriptions for any medicines relating to the treatment of my condition, which would be good if I took anything!

12. Greenarmyjoe

Good Luck Lyndy, well if its PALs or the complaints at NHS you will see a few from me on Monday. after this weeks episodes in the hospital.. I think they take the piss as we have a good negligence case going on against them. ****ing useless.. not the Nurses may i say but the doctors.. The only way i got anything done as i know a consultant who works on Level 12 and he sorted them out.. be glad when he comes home agian..

Hope you enjoy getting back to work, dont forget to set the clock <laugh>

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You'd qualify soon for the prescriptions anyway so wow they are generous. Any idea what they's replace your knee with? Another arm perhaps? Good on you on the job front. And no I don't believe you are the new James Bond.

14. lyndhurstgreen

No its not NHS or the secret service although I do have another NHS interview lined up. Apparently the RN is also writing to all their ex-engineers to try to entice them back in to serve to age 60 so there is always that option (no chance). My knee has been knackered for years and I had fairly major surgery on it 12 years ago when the surgeon said it would probably last about 10 years. Well he was right and I now need a complete new one. All the advice seems to be to wait as long as possible as they only last 10 years and I am only 53. Have recently taken up yoga (!) and also doing some strengthening exercises and it feels better than it has in years. Might end up with a bionic knee and ear so perhaps I could be the new 007.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They could put a machine gun inside a flap in your knee. How cool would that be for getting rid of the neighbourhood cats.:emoticon-0170-ninja

My brother-in-law knackered his knee by playing football longer than was healthy and being told to stop. He had problems for years with it before he was remotely old enough to have it sorted or at least an attempt to sort it. Reason being as you say they apparently don't last. He eventually had it done about 4 years ago and it was only a partial success. Because it took so long to do from when it was a first problem his bones are crumbling around the joint and bits keep breaking off and become floating pieces in fluid. He is only 57 now and knows he is bolluxed eventually with it. I don't envy you having to make a choice of when with that one. Seems strange that prosthetic limbs have moved on a million years since long john silver got one but knee replacements seem to have stood still. You would think by now somebody would have come up with a solution.

16. notDistantGreen

Well done Lyndhurst.

17. lyndhurstgreen

Yes mine is/was due to too much sport and not looking after myself. At one point I was playing competitive cricket and hockey 3 or 4 times a week. Spending my entire working life going up and down ladders on ships bobbing about didn't help either. I just try to ignore it and carry on, the only real impact is that I used to spend a lot of time walking on the moors/coastal path and I can't do more than an hour now. Still, there are an awful lot of people who have far worse things to worry about.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Blimey Lindy will you ever reach my age......your in the market for major spare parts by the sound of it.....unfortunately the NHS is going in reverse since I had my cataracts done....both done in three months two years back......a waiting list now.....good job I'm ok for everything else.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Attended the 40th anniversary of the inauguration of PASALB last night at the Richmond Gate Hotel (Akkeron).

Good turn out, all the organizing for this evening done by Lee Jameson,who did a good job..... and the evening went well.

Those attending included James Brent, Derek Adams, Peter Jones, Richard Holliday, Tony Wrathall, Martyn Starnes....also present was MP Greg Hands.

We had a sit down buffet meal followed by talks by James Brent, Derek Adams, Martyn Starnes and Peter Jones reminiscing about Michael Foot.

1976 seems a long time ago when Geoffrey Luke started walking around the terraces and telling us his vision of starting up a London supporters club.....Geoffrey passed away about 4 years back....he would have been proud of what had been achieved.

PS....Greg Hands is actually Conservative MP for Fulham & Hammersmith but is a Argyle Supporter as well as a Fulham supporter ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  20. notDistantGreen

Anything interesting in the presentations?