1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sensible I think you need to revisit both the purpose of phones generally (i.e. that people can call you) and mobility (i.e. that you can carry it with you).

I'm just thinking of getting a new one... some great deals out there on monthly contract at the moment.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

i am thinking of getting a new one as well, any (sensible) recommendations?

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Buy a fecking drum.................either that or fire lighters and a blanket.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Two tins and a length of string.....worked when I was a kid.....:rolleyes:

5. notDistantGreen

I've got an HTC M8, 2.5 years old now. It's solid aluminum and I've been pleased with it. I got it online from the Smartphone Company who I've dealt with several times and who haven't let me down yet.

They have some good deals on the HTC M10 with an EE contract - free phone, £ 26.99 X 24 months, unlimited minutes & texts, 2GB of data and 500 mb of free roaming data.

Samsung S7 is £25.99 with 3 GB of data.

IPhone 7 with 1000 mins unlimited texts and 2 GB is £33.49 if you must follow fashion!

It seems prices never go down: they always start in the £25 - £30 range but you get more and more minutes and data for your money. There are few options for light users.

The Techradar site is a good place for product reviews on phones and other electronic gadgets.

6. notDistantGreen

PS Techradar's Top 10 has HTC M10 at no 7, iPhone 7 at no 5 and Samsung S7 at no 2. No 1 is the S7 Edge, which is BIG.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I bet sensible has been on the edge his seat....taking onboard all that info.

8. lyndhurstgreen

Am actually after just the phone-quite happy with my contract, Just want to buy the new phone and transfer the Sim card etc, Currently have a Nokia (don't laugh) and thinking about an Iphone7-dont really know what I am looking at/talking about!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't understand what the feck any of that is about Plym. I don't get the concept of wanting to be at other people's beck and call whenever they decide. I have no wish to text anyone and if I want to find something on a computer I wait till I'm home and look on this one. I don't want to film anyone or take pictures whilst I'm out just for the sake of it. I managed for donkey's years without a mobile even at work. They made me have one I didn't want and told me it was for my safety. Lying like a hairy egg springs to mind as it had feck all to do with my safety at all. Like you Plym I get fed up with walking around people who aren't even looking when walking. They just never look up.....ever. Scenario I colapse in the street. There are one thousand phones minimum within 50 yards on a busy high street so why would I need one. I colapse at home. I have a phone yards away. I need to speak to somebody I either call from home or visit them and talk in person. Yes thats talk in person which used to be the norm. If somebody needs to talk to me they know where I live and if they don't I doubt they have anything to say I want to hear. Infact they are trying to sell me something I don't want or need. Nobody will convince me I actually need a mobile phone.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You would of been gob-smacked this afternoon sensible..... Mrs Plym has treated herself to an i-pad and with our daughter-in-laws help she transferred photos that she had taken at our granddaughters school production of the 2nd WW....to her own I-pad (she was working at the time it took place).....it's called an air drop........and I used to think years back that ringing 1471 to find out who had phoned you was remarkable.....of course the daughter-in-law had our grandson whose 12 (her son of course) making sure she did it right......I expect that if he hadn't been around our 8yr old granddaughter could of helped.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Lyndy, get the iphone 7.. i have nothing but iphones. always have .. some have been bad nut the 7 is great. Easy to use as well.

I get my through apple on their upgrade scheme .. Ours are business but anyone can get them.. 2 year contract 35 per month but you have to get a sim and contract.. i have that on vodaphone, unlimited minutes, texts and 5gb date 15.00 per month per phone. You can get cheaper if you don't use all the data or minutes i think.

On the apple contract that gives you a free upgrade in the 2 years, so when the next iphone arrives in September probably you the 7s you just change it over.
    Also free insurance and 2 free repairs in the 2 years .. so a broken screen is free?
    You wont be disappointed with the iphone 7..

Plym and Sensible may upgrade as well..

I still have the old nokias and blackberrys in the office draw.. I have still got the brick one..

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm upgrading to a Tom-Tom next so I can call and text at the same time.

13. lyndhurstgreen

Cheers Joe-that's what I was thinking of.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Go in the apple shop and ask about the upgrade programm.. 132 GB i phone makes sense

15. notDistantGreen

Apple PAH. Doesn't talk to anything else even if you have the £45 bespoke Apple cable, expensive......

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wouldn't dare upstage sensible by starting the Accrington match thread......they won 2-0 tonight and our now eleven games unbeaten....last losing at Portsmouth.

This could be a hard game for us playing at home.....Accrington drew 2-2 at Doncaster during that run,so we mustn't take it for granted because they are mid-table.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's become superstitious ritual plym nothing more. Save it for a couple of days as we don't want to peak too soon. I also don't think we have ever taken a game for granted.

18. notDistantGreen

So here we are 3 days into Brexit.

Scotland wants independence. Spain wants Gibraltar. Lloyds wants an office in Brussels. Europe won't discuss a trade agreement until we agree to pay £50 billion (there go the phantom £350 million savings for the NHS ). Government ministers will be able to amend laws by executive order in the gap between European and UK jurisdiction (so much for Parliamentary sovereignty).

What do you think of it so far?

Oh and PS something the news hasn't reported but is in the Saturday paper is that there will be "no "participation (in the single market) based on a sector by sector approach". No special arrangements for financial services or the automotive sectors then.

Also , it seems the UK presently receives £2.8 billion of the annual £18 billion EU scientific research budget. We are the 2nd highest recipient of all the EU nations. Things you weren't told by the Leave campaigners eh?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Scotland will suss out Nicola Sturgeon one day....that she is an uncontrolled wrecking ball, in it for herself and what she can get.....part of the UK or part of the United States of Europe they need to decide.
    2.....Spain have been waiting for this moment....their action isn't anything to do with the EU it's a political plot to grab land.
    3.....Lloyds having an office within the EU will benefit them and us...the EU depend on Lloyds....no problem there.
    4.....The EU not wanting to talk about a trade agreement until we pay up front.....pie in the sky...German car companies will want to protect their sales in the UK...so Merkel will find them difficult....Elections in France & Germany will possible change things regarding that stance.
    5.....The stifling red tape of the EU needs sweeping away....let the government get on with it.
    6.....April Fools Day only brings remoaners in as the biggest drawback to a satisfactory settlement....Heseltine, Clegg & Farron should join the UK or stop rocking the boat.

20. notDistantGreen

See above about the absence of special deals for the car makers.